Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Either you can laugh at everything, or you can laugh at nothing.

Options
  • 30-07-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

What do you guys think of the above?

Is there a limit to what people can make jokes about? Most comedians sail a little close to the line in terms of being insulting to one group or another, but when is it too far? Are their certain topics that should be out of bounds - race, sexuality, religion? Jokes about specific people - Maddie McCann, Stephen Gately, Michael Jackson?

On the other hand should all these topics be open to being made fun off?
    I'll admit that I've laughed at some pretty sick jokes in the past, but knowing they were in bad taste didnt take away from the humor. Why is it the same people who will joke about Michael Jackson will get offended with a joke about Madeline McCann.

I think I'd be of the opinion that as long as jokes are made in general terms, and not specifically directed at a certain person then they are good. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If a joke is funny, I will laugh. 'Bad taste' or 'insulting' jokes are fine as long as they are funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

I feel guilty bout laughing at jokes that make fun of for example disabled people. I still laugh tho.

I suppose its comedy its not like its a published article defaming a person. its telling everyday situations and stories in a funny way.

Jokes of stories like Maddie Macann are without taste. Look at the infamous phonecall that was also considered in bad taste. some comedians dont know the limits and these examples show that there are limits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Sometimes something is funny simply because it is so taboo breaking and "off limits". In itself it really isn't funny - but just because it breaks all teh rules and allows you to explore a more bestial side of you nature (by laughing at it) it becomes funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

All humour should be allowed....................it's only a joke.

After who laughs at themselves more than we Irish,

Everyone is fair game and if people are offended............the men in black can blank their memory :cool:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

A jokes's a joke. Just sometimes people forget it's a joke and take it seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Billy Connolly and Tommy Tiernan are two of the best comedians in the world. They have both gotten into trouble for "going too far", its a very fine line between hilarious and bad taste...... :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

I tend go agree with people who say a joke is a joke. But surley there must be a line somewhere.

Billy Conolly and Tiernan got away with lots of things, i only think that the got in trouble when the material they were using stopped being funny. E.G - Billy Connolly's bit about the english guy (Ken Bigley i think?) that got beheaded - that wasnt funny at all, and to be honest I do think that overstepped. It was way too raw in peoples minds, and without a doubt that dudes family would have heard about the joke. To me thats a bit far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I do agree that there is a line, but I think that line is between people telling the joke to be funny, and people being controversial just for the sake of it.

Advertisement