Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

mr_kyle wrote: »
    There were guys from the South who posted up on Tekken Zaibatsu. They chatted about meet ups, even mentioning the T6BR cab in the Odyssey. One of them even called himself the Irish champ of Tekken. I had hoped Tekken might have been a "hidden scene" with you gents. Although I think it should not have stopped at just one tournament just because it didn't get as many as SFIV =(.

I helped run a T6 tournament in XGC that was organised by a guy named Mantys (don't know his real name) who generally only posts on tekkenzaibatsu.

He basically started the thread here and never returned to it. He very rarely updated the thread on zaibatsu either. It wasn't even a new thread, just a really old one from when T5 was being released. He seemed to think he had twenty people confirmed.

On the day we had eleven I think and I convinced Kiki (I think) to play to make it even numbers. About half of the people found out about it through the thread here on boards.

The tournament ran well and everybody seemed to enjoy it and seemed interested in another.

A month or so later Mantys decides to run another tournament. He reused the same thread on boards and zaibatsu. This time I would not be helping him run it. He seemed to be confirming the attendance of pretty much anyone who posted in either thread.

Again, he expected twenty, but on the day got three. He then gave up on trying to run tournaments.

I'm still convinced we could get a proper Tekken tournie scene started if the person running it would actually put a bit more effort in.

It also doesn't help that the better Tekken players in Dublin decided that some of the people who were regulars in XGC weren't good enough for them and just started having exclusive, invite only sessions in one of their houses. (The self proclaimed champ I believe.)

For the last DoC we only added Tekken to once again try kick-start the Tekken scene and I posted everything up on zaibatsu, but none of them turned up.

Like I said, I'll probably try once more, but I'm not too motivated in regards to Tekken comps right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

In my (totally unfounded and unresearched opinion) a lot of people got into Tekken when the majority of the gamer population was the more casual Playstation 1 owners.

I can remember in those days decent 2D fighters being marked down in reviews for sticking with "a dead style, being too lazy to make the jump to 3D", which is also when we saw Street Fighter go through it's "EX" phase.

Tekken probably picked up a pretty healthy fanbase in that time.

Once the novelty of 3D wore off though, the casuals went elsewhere, and Tekken was just left with it's hardcore fans.

Both of them post on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Basically, Tekken scene is dying like the old Soulcalibur scene.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Basically, Tekken scene is dying like the old Soulcalibur scene.

Can we do anything about that?

Should we even?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

There's not much we can do.

I'll throw it into DoC every so often, Chopper said he might run another tournament but beyond running the occasional tournament those of us that don't particularly like 3D fighters can't do much.

I suppose that the people that enjoy the games could practise more, try to level up but when the established players won't come out, there seems to be little point in them doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

We're doing everything we can, its up to the people who actually like tekken now.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

LOL, Irish Champ of Tekken? I'd say Simon might have something to say about that.

Simon wants a crack at him. I'd like to see it happen. Hence trying to find out if they ever re-appeared.
    Again, he expected twenty, but on the day got three. He then gave up on trying to run tournaments.

It is a tough break, but no reason to stop imo.
    It also doesn't help that the better Tekken players in Dublin decided that some of the people who were regulars in XGC weren't good enough for them and just started having exclusive, invite only sessions in one of their houses. (The self proclaimed champ I believe.)

Oh dear, if that is the case; it reeks of elitism =/
    For the last DoC we only added Tekken to once again try kick-start the Tekken scene and I posted everything up on zaibatsu, but none of them turned up.

Like I said, I'll probably try once more, but I'm not too motivated in regards to Tekken comps right now.

Run it in that guys house lol. Seriously though, no local scene is only there own loss :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Azza wrote: »
    . I used Paul because his hair is superior to Guiles (apparently he was killed off in the last Tekken game!!!).

He [and Law] either dies or him and Law screw-up a fixed fight between the two of them. Its pretty sad how they have treated him in recent. He went from being the most powerful Non-Mishima character to Dan level jokce character.

Paul has been my main since the first. Maybe its the fact I did Judo as well. He always seemed like a Ken/Guile hybrid to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I'd say they'll go with neither ending. They did that with Yoshi/Bryan.

Yoshimitsu Tekken 5 ending - He kills Bryan
    Bryan Fury Tekken 5 ending - He kills Yoshimitsu

Both are in Tekken 6

GorySnake wrote: »
    I'd say they'll go with neither ending. They did that with Yoshi/Bryan.

Yoshimitsu Tekken 5 ending - He kills Bryan
    Bryan Fury Tekken 5 ending - He kills Yoshimitsu

Both are in Tekken 6

I know that more than likely neither ending will happen. I kind of wish they would kill him off just so they can't keep crapping on him. Its sad how much of a joke character he's become.

I was even interested in T6. I rented it and brought it back a few days later. When they announced T7 I wrote to Namco and told them to just tell us which Mishima won 6 and who wins 7 and get it over with and we can all save our money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Now in high level play, most of these string combos are probably useless and highly punishable, but casual players at least feel like they're doing something.

Casual players playing Street Fighter would very rarely pull off anything cool by hitting a few random buttons in a row.

The main reason we don't have competitive Tekken/3D players is because the jump from casual to serious is so high that it just puts people off.

Yeah i find it really hard to get better at tekken even tho i learn most of my characters moves, juggles no matter how much i play i don't feel like i'm improving.

But in ssf4 i feel like i'm getting better( well i hope i am) :D everytime i go to the casual.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I know that more than likely neither ending will happen. I kind of wish they would kill him off just so they can't keep crapping on him. Its sad how much of a joke character he's become.

I was even interested in T6. I rented it and brought it back a few days later. When they announced T7 I wrote to Namco and told them to just tell us which Mishima won 6 and who wins 7 and get it over with and we can all save our money.

Man, seriously.

Don't get bent out of shape over a stupid fighting game story line.

Because believe me, it's only down hill from there.

Man, seriously.

Don't get bent out of shape over a stupid fighting game story line.

Because believe me, it's only down hill from there.

I try not to but its sucks when your favorite character goes from being one of the most dangerous to "such a joke even Dan could kick his ass."

Was your letter seriously worded to the tune of:

"Please write me back so I don't have to buy your next game"

I'm not really seeing what's in it for Namco here.

Was your letter seriously worded to the tune of:

"Please write me back so I don't have to buy your next game"

I'm not really seeing what's in it for Namco here.

It was kind of giving them a hint that its time to change the storyline. A Mishima all 6 has made the game stale [just like Liu-Kang winning all 4 MKs until his death in 5]

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DaleHyland

Has anyone watched the Tekken movie? I saw it this mornin. Doesnt really follow the story much but then again. Fighting games are not known for their stories. I loved tekken 3 when I was like 6. Cant remember much anymore though. I still play tekken 4 often and christie is my main character. She is the only char I learned combos for and I can beat all my friends about 18 times in a row without losing. Tekken works for me. Street fight IV is a load of rubbish in my eyes. It makes no sense. (I hope i didnt start a flame war)
    have yet to play Tekken 6 or 5 though.

It was kind of giving them a hint that its time to change the storyline. A Mishima all 6 has made the game stale [just like Liu-Kang winning all 4 MKs until his death in 5]

Uh.. I can think of plenty of things that made MK stale and a boring story wouldn't even be on the first page :)

DaleHyland wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the Tekken movie?

The animated one or the live action one that should be out here on DVD next month?
    christie is my main character. She is the only char I learned combos for and I can beat all my friends about 18 times in a row without losing.

Is button mashing really considered combos now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Fighting game storys?

harrison-ford.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DaleHyland

Bush80 wrote: »
    Fighting game storys?

harrison-ford.gif
    I would +1 that :)

The live action one. The animated one is supposed to be rubbish. Although many would find the live one also rubbish.

Button Mashing? o,o,o,xo is my favourite combo. I can do 10-hits if I like put all four fingers over the main buttons and tap them all in some weird combo.
    I suppose I button mash? I use mostly kick attacks. but then again. Im a casual fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just FYI but against anyone who, y'know, BLOCKS, mashing will get you killed. Plus mashers tend to be predictable.

What I do against Eddy/Christie players is usually back-dash, wait, launch.

Which is almost as fun as Tornado-Throwing noob Gief players.

Is button mashing really considered combos now?

If the order in which you mash the buttons results in a combination of attacks, then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I try not to but its sucks when your favorite character goes from being one of the most dangerous to "such a joke even Dan could kick his ass."

that happed to Paul aswell, he's still got the moves, but "story" wise, they turned him into such a ****ing pillock.
    we all know that budget-and-effort wise the storyline in tekken is part of the "misc" concerns along with which default time limit rounds might have, and what kind of paper the manual will be printed in, but still, it sucks when your player is treated as a sort of comedy figure in what is otherwise a very serious premise.

If the order in which you mash the buttons results in a combination of attacks, then yes.

Fair enough, but you should have seen the looks one Eddie/Christie users faces when I used to counter them with Paul [Back and LP+LK or Back and RP+RK IIRC] They didn't know what happened.

that happed to Paul aswell, he's still got the moves, but "story" wise, they turned him into such a ****ing pillock.
    we all know that budget-and-effort wise the storyline in tekken is part of the "misc" concerns along with which default time limit rounds might have, and what kind of paper the manual will be printed in, but still, it sucks when your player is treated as a sort of comedy figure in what is otherwise a very serious premise.

Agreed. They have turned him into an idiot or a pillock [why am I thinking of LOSW for some reason?] Paul went from Kazuya's rival to not being able to beat Kuma and homeless and impoverished [I thought the "OMG. I'm up to my ears in debt." was Law's gag?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I quite liked Tekken 2 and 3, sue me!

I started at tekken 1!!

the only one I havn't played extensively was dark resurrection.

I probably reached my sort of "best" at tekken 3 & 4, then 5 and 6 were more casual. so all my best players are say tekken 2 and 3 4. I still see steve and murdoc and one of the "knew guys"

in 6 I love Leo, she's like a VF fighter but in tekken. It's cool they have like real world fighting styles, but also players who play slightly like other fighting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Bush80 wrote: »
    Fighting game storys?

harrison-ford.gif

Is that Han Solo? Why's he so pissed?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

I've been playing since 1 but only found out about the competitive side when dr came out on the ps3. I can't really talk about it as a competitive game 'casue i've only played a few people for real. But there is a really big tekken arcade scene in japan and korea. There is even a tekken show on korean tv.

I think the old korean videos from TTT are the best I've seen from tekken though. The koreans created a whole new way to play using a restrictive move list and canceled crouch dashes and back dashes with mishimas.

The koreans created a whole new way to play using a restrictive move list and canceled crouch dashes and back dashes with mishimas.

that not sound a bit naff? do they also have SC tournaments using only Hilde and having "Ring Out" competitions.

the other video was awesome though, those guys are like finely tunes athletes, one tiny opening and your circling the drain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement