Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 20% Talk Rule

• 30-07-2010 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Is it time to drop this rule? and if it was dropped would stations continue to have their two or three hours of talk each morning? Apart from Lyric, there's no music shows on the radio outside Dublin in the mid morning slot now. And if you're driving, Lyric is a bit too relaxing to listen to for a long period as you'd tend to nod off;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Is it time to drop this rule?

No its not.

If you want wall to wall muzak, stick on a cd.

There are plenty of stations playing hit after hit after hit after......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Lapin wrote: »
    No its not.

If you want wall to wall muzak, stick on a cd.

There are plenty of stations playing hit after hit after hit after......
    I'm not necessarily looking for "muzak or hit after hit after......"as you so eloquently put it. I certainly don't want to listen to the rubbish that Ray Darcy or Tom Dunne or Colm and Lucy churn out and local politics on the local stations doesn't really interest me especially when I'm just briefly pasing through the area. Is music too much to ask for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I certainly don't want to listen to the rubbish that Ray Darcy or Tom Dunne or Colm and Lucy churn out and local politics on the local stations doesn't really interest me especially when I'm just briefly pasing through the area. Is music too much to ask for?

Well then dont listen to them, and as for the local politics, they may not interest you, but where else are people in waterford, or cork or donegal supposed to get local news and current affairs that directly impacts on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Back in the 1980's it was radio heaven with all the pirates blasting out non stop quality music which was at the time groundbreaking radio before RTE and Co. lobbied the politicians to close them all down :(

giftgrub wrote: »
    Well then dont listen to them, and as for the local politics, they may not interest you, but where else are people in waterford, or cork or donegal supposed to get local news and current affairs that directly impacts on them?
    I'm not saying the locals shouldn't have their local affairs shows. I'm saying someone, possibly a national station, should be playing music in contrast to all the talk shows. Unreasonable of me???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm not saying the locals shouldn't have their local affairs shows. I'm saying someone, possibly a national station, should be playing music in contrast to all the talk shows. Unreasonable of me???

If that's what you're saying, then fair enough.

However the thread title questions the 20% rule; you didn't ask stations to move their talk shows.

Agreed. And the other part of my original point was whether stations would continue to have their two hours of morning chat if it wasn't mandatory? I accept fully that each local station should have local issues but should they all (including nationals) run them at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Is it time to drop this rule? and if it was dropped would stations continue to have their two or three hours of talk each morning? Apart from Lyric, there's no music shows on the radio outside Dublin in the mid morning slot now. And if you're driving, Lyric is a bit too relaxing to listen to for a long period as you'd tend to nod off;)

what about, beat, spin and the i's they're not talk show's mid morning

Well, the only one of those three I could pick up was Beat and there was a chat thing on there too. Around 10.30ish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

If the 20% rule was removed, the usual JNLR top 5 stations like WLR, Live95 & Radio Kerry etc. would continue to super serve their areas as they currently do. They would not drop their 20% requirement (although expensive to maintain). Some even exceed the 20%.

Stations like Spin, iRadios, KFM & East Coast would drop it quicker than.....

The Spins and Beats of this world put their talk shows on when their target audience is in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Actually, iRadio seem to be quite happy with how iTalk and the Third i are doing for them. Both have healthy figures for the stations involved so I doubt they'd be shown the door all that fast if the 'rule' was dropped.

Advertisement