Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge problem

Options
  • 30-07-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just looking for some advice regarding my neighbours hedges. Let me start by saying that I HATE gardening. The only thing I like doing in the garden is sitting in it with a good book and a nice glass on wine. Anyway I am forced to cut my neighbours hedges as they run rampant into my garden. I've had to invest in a hedge trimmer and have just spent 2 hours wrestling with the damn hedge. I've scratched my arms, broken my nails, cut through the wire.......I'm like a raving lunatic !!
    How can I contain her hedges to her side of the railings without building a wall ?
    Last year I managed to scalp the offending hedge right back to the railings and I painstakingly tied a green mesh fencing all along the railings. But the darn hedge still grows through. Its a mixture of privet and a manky box hedge. Any suggestions please or I may have to resort to 'accidentally' pouring diesel on the roots :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

You could put up timber panels otherwise it's a case of cutting often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks for the suggestion. Could timber panels be attached to the existing railings? Do they need foundations of any sort ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Private and box are pretty manageable with fence panels. Its hard to say how they can be installed without seeing the existing fence. They don't need any actual foundations (unless you put in the kind that have a concrete base, which isn't really necessary for your purposes). The posts would be best set in concrete.

If you are not handy I would suggest you get someone to put in some decent posts and put up the fence for you. If you half-do the job you will find yourself buying more panels in a year or two's time.

Advertisement