Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless security

Options
  • 30-07-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

While lazily looking at my PC contents during the week, I noticed that there were 3 PCs connected to my home network instead of the 2 I expected (and own). So tonight, I enabled WPA-PSK on my router (yes, it's dumb that I've had a wireless router for about 4 years and tonight was the night I finally turned on security). Everything seems fine, although that rogue PC is still listed in my Network. Enabling WPA should do it, right? Is there anything else I can do to make sure that my network is now secure?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

corblimey wrote: »
    While lazily looking at my PC contents during the week, I noticed that there were 3 PCs connected to my home network instead of the 2 I expected (and own). So tonight, I enabled WPA-PSK on my router (yes, it's dumb that I've had a wireless router for about 4 years and tonight was the night I finally turned on security). Everything seems fine, although that rogue PC is still listed in my Network. Enabling WPA should do it, right? Is there anything else I can do to make sure that my network is now secure?

Enabling WPA should do it. You may be seeing the cached ARP table entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

you may also be seeing an active (non expired) DHCP lease.. WPA should cover you.. just as aside sometimes devices like phones and multimeda devices can connect and make it appear like you have intruder when that is not the case

Advertisement