Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turn back the dial.. what was your first rifle or shotty

Options
  • 30-07-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Lads as a good few of ye know ive not been here in Ireland as long as you natives;)
    And as my mind was pondering as the good Mrs was watching her soaps(as they do) I was wondering what was your first rifle....
    The reason I ask this is as I happended to meet a lad that has an old baikle(spell check) russian 22lr trainer that traces back to 1954.. wow and it still shoots like a dream for its time..

Mine was a 223 rem sps I got second hand for about 600 squid 6years ago..(must of seen me coming,caught rotten)
    The thing was a pig to look at but was well able to shoot straight..Once I introduce it to mr hornady 40 gn vmax...

The thing was knocked about and when I put a rod threw it to give it a clean before I gave it its first shot from its new owner, a boot load of rust and crud came out of it....

So what was your first...
    Please tell..;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

a whole pile of air rifles from about 13 right up to some very serious ones whierauchs and feinwerkbaus in the late 70s used for a lot of rabbit control ,then a remington 700 in .222 in about 1985 i loved that little rifle
    first new shotgun was an aya yeoman ejector in 84 i still have it and will never part with it , if it could talk it could tell some stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

A cooey single shot .22 when i was 10 and a single barrel hammer stephenson when i was 13 .

shot my first cock over a sheepdog called ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

A Squires Bingam in 22wmr when I was 15 hishhh:D (couldn't wait)..Took me 8 yrs to move upto a cf in .223. Still have the wmr although it could do with a new set of extractors. 26 now and now and havin dreams about a custom 22-250 varminter. I really hope handloading comes in. Alot of fellas doin it already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

First shotgun - Baikal
    First Rim-d'oh -fire Rifle - Ruger 10/22
    First Bolt Action Rifle - Remington 700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA wrote: »
    First shotgun - Baikal
    First Center-fire Rifle - Ruger 10/22
    First Bolt Action Rifle - Remington 700

First Shotgun Baikal
    First Rifle Krico SA .22lr
    First centrefire Swedish Mauser 6.5x55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

First shotgun - Baikal single barrel, paid an extra £5 for the ejector model

homerhop wrote: »
    First shotgun - Baikal single barrel, paid an extra £5 for the ejector model

Ruger 10/22 is a rimfire ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

D'oh,
    Just changed...

Looks like I started a little ctrl-c - ctrl-v party!
    329679simpsons-homer-gun%5B1%5D.gif

D'oh,
    Just changed...

329679simpsons-homer-gun%5B1%5D.gif

One of the best EVER episodes of the Simpsons lol

D'oh,

Yup ya did.am too lazy to type it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

4/10 which was left to me by my grandad. Little lad on the way so will pass it down to him....:)

elius wrote: »
    4/10 which was left to me by my grandad. Little lad on the way so will pass it down to him....:)

My granddad had a .410 he left it to mu uncle.

He let me fire it once as a kid.

it was very mild on the shoulder, seemingly they were a gardeners gun. For shooting vermin at very short range.

It was a Harrington & Richardson

My Da has an old stevens single barrel.
    No idea of year as it belonged to my other granbdad and he is dead a long time, was born 1910!

My nephew who is twee!
    Says he likes my Wifles

He tells me when he is 6 he will come shooting wabbits with me.

Where he got the 6 idea from I don't know!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I ain't going back much but 2 and a half years ago I got my first rifle. It was a Marlin .22mag which I put a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 on top of it.

Loved the gun and found it was very accurate, although traded it in for a .223 and I'm regretting it since. Not that I don't like .223 just that I wish I still had the mag!!

Scope was silver so the set up looked exactly like whats in the link!

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/22WinMagnum/982VS.asp

patsat wrote: »
    I ain't going back much but 2 and a half years ago I got my first rifle. It was a Marlin .22mag which I put a Nikon prostaff 3-9x40 on top of it.

Loved the gun and found it was very accurate, although traded it in for a .223 and I'm regretting it since. Not that I don't like .223 just that I wish I still had the mag!!

Scope was silver so the set up looked exactly like whats in the link!

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/22WinMagnum/982VS.asp

Pat

If you get used to the .223 you would have zero interest in the .22mag ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Pat

If you get used to the .223 you would have zero interest in the .22mag ;)

I'm well used to the .223 ;) but it had to move on to make way for bigger and better things!

Reason why I regret selling the mag is the lack of a good accurate rimfire in the house!

patsat wrote: »
    I'm well used to the .223 ;) but it had to move on to make way for bigger and better things!

Reason why I regret selling the mag is the lack of a good accurate rimfire in the house!

no need Pat for rimfire, unless culling cats ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

First was this a BSA Metor 22 air rifle @15

bsa-meteor.jpg

Second was a poachers folding 410 I think the barrel was shorter.
    P2190004.jpg

and then a single 12g shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Somthing in common there Clive.
    Have had mine since I was ten.Is yours a UK or Belguim model???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Why was the stock hollowed out like that if ya dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

First gun was a .22rimfire Mauser bolt action.

She was made as a trainer for a full bore hunting rifle, so both guns were the same reach, pull, weight etc.
    Never meant to be used with a scope, the bolt handle bent down instead of up. I had to put huge mounts to let a scope body clear the bolt throw, chin weld at best when shooting.

I loved that gun, shot loads with it!

My new CZ is very similar to her, different safety and a better trigger, but very close! :D

• Advertisement

homerhop wrote: »
    Why was the stock hollowed out like that if ya dont mind me asking?

No idea..But I have seen them in old adverts with this feature,and a few others around here with this stock as well.So I'll guess as a weight saving measure.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

dwighet wrote: »
    Lads as a good few of ye know ive not been here in Ireland as long as you natives;)
    And as my mind was pondering as the good Mrs was watching her soaps(as they do) I was wondering what was your first rifle....
    The reason I ask this is as I happended to meet a lad that has an old baikle(spell check) russian 22lr trainer that traces back to 1954.. wow and it still shoots like a dream for its time..

Mine was a 223 rem sps I got second hand for about 600 squid 6years ago..(must of seen me coming,caught rotten)
    The thing was a pig to look at but was well able to shoot straight..Once I introduce it to mr hornady 40 gn vmax...

The thing was knocked about and when I put a rod threw it to give it a clean before I gave it its first shot from its new owner, a boot load of rust and crud came out of it....

So what was your first...
    Please tell..;)

A savage .22 single shot which I got in 1975, which my brother got in part payment for a job he done in I think listowel a few years earlier for a Guard, I think the Guard had confiscated it from some drunk who was carrying it around the street a few years earlier. My brother gave me £5 and the gun as a weeks wages for helping him in 1975. I also bought a Garbi sxs from nestor Bros in Limerick 2nd hand for £80 around same time, I traded the Savage .22 into nestors for a new Gevarm .22 semiauto soon after I got it,Nestor gave me Five Pounds trade in for it, the Gevarm was the biggest piece of Sh-t I ever bought. Should have kept the savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    No idea..But I have seen them in old adverts with this feature,and a few others around here with this stock as well.So I'll guess as a weight saving measure.:confused:
    I think so too

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭gentleman jim

first shotgun was a breatta stone coat tekny s/a!was the best shotgun i ever owned! and my first rifle and i still have it is a cz brno .17! great rifle for blasting bunnys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Voere .22lr bolt action
    Fabarm S/A

Both were in shook enough condition, but they were cheap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Goosie

Stevens, single barrel, magazine fed, bolt action, 12 gauge.
    Paid £20 in '78 for it.
    Unfortunately it had a mishap with an angle grinder just last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As I think back, it would appear to have been a Bushmaster M17S. I've since sold it, and, truth be told, it wasn't a fantastic rifle, but it was mine...

bushmaster_m17s-1.jpg

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

My first was a Haenel .177 air rifle for Christmas 1950. My father taught me rifle drill with it, it was my pride and joy for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

My first shotgun was a Baikal IJ27E o/u double trigger self ejector which one could turn off. That gun was a great country gun

My first rifle was a 22lr CZ 452

• Advertisement

As I think back, it would appear to have been a Bushmaster M17S. I've since sold it, and, truth be told, it wasn't a fantastic rifle, but it was mine...

bushmaster_m17s-1.jpg

NTM

Was that the Bullpup design or the [in]famous "arm gun"?:confused:

Advertisement