Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Massive caterpillar, help identifying?

• 30-07-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

The kids found this in the garden this evening, anyone know what it is (or what it will turn into)?

I've never seen one this big before!!

B663DB79C7014D5E8078C2E6E9AE248A-800.jpg

1D951575664146DD91B120633EACF1E0-800.jpg

When touched or disturbed he could withdraw his head inside and the pattern looks like eyes of a bigger bug - undoubtedly a protection mechanism.

71A1ACD152104DB5B0FA1129CAE29839-800.jpg

These are a childs hands, but you get a good idea of the size - about 80-100mm long and 12mm diameter:

E87EDFC173314E53A5924A60DA825845-800.jpg

Thanks for any info!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

post it to the nature and bird watching section.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Actually, I just found it: its a elephant hawk moth caterpillar.

After burying itself in the ground for the winter, it turns into this:

elephant_hawk_moth.jpg

Another view:

elephant_hawk_moth_front_large.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's the gayest moth i've ever seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

my skin is crawling right now:eek:

ever see a stag beetle larva? fantasic looking, looks like a maggot the size of your little finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Jesus!!!:eek:...all you need now are a pair of kangaroo's testicles and you can create your own version of "I'm A Celebrity..."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

fabulous moth is faaaabulous

pretty cool find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

At the other end of the size scale, found this fella scurrying across the tar 2 nights ago. He realy is very small - you can see the scale compared to the stones in the tar. He was moving vey quickly so it was hard to get any kind of a decent shot.

Very hairy, lemon yellow, very distinct red "horn" at tail, 2 humps and black colouring between the humps when he extends. Overall length about 20mm, diameter minus hair about 4mm.

I am just amazed at this fella. I can't conceive of the evolutionary advantage such markings would give this lad :o

90CD421B82654A68A499016FC5FD47C1-800.jpg

7652B2D0EF4441A2BDC0DC125444A6DA-800.jpg

973F713D092F4CBA9B317764B48E2AA2-800.jpg

I believe its a pale tussock moth caterpillar, moth is this fella:

pale%20tussock.jpg

Fran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

^^ looks like a fishermans fly

I remember calling them "hairy mollys" when i was small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

This is a "Pale Tussock" that I found in the garden today.

paletussock.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cool - and yet completely mad looking aren't they?

Its kinda mind blowing to try and imagine the evolutionary advantage it gave these fellas to look like that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Mothman is the moth man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Spring is almost here. Just wait until I start to post some real creepy crawlies!

Advertisement