Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in exams, should i report it ??

Options
  • 30-07-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

i am doing an engineering degree and i,m in my first year i was sitting a class test last week when i saw the student beside looking at papers he had hidden, it was a closed book exam.

now it was a small class test, and the group of students are mature students all around our mid 30s should i report it,i feel i have an obligation to report it because i feel apart from it being wrong to cheat it is very unfair to the other guys who are putting in the hard work

what do you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭TW Mr Tayto

paulgray wrote: »
    i am doing an engineering degree and i,m in my first year i was sitting a class test last week when i saw the student beside looking at papers he had hidden, it was a closed book exam.

now it was a small class test, and the group of students are mature students all around our mid 30s should i report it,i feel i have an obligation to report it because i feel apart from it being wrong to cheat it is very unfair to the other guys who are putting in the hard work

what do you all think?

I might discuss it lightly with the relevant peers. They may know more about him. If, for instance - he was having problems at home (sick child, etc) he may be forgiven. Even so, if this is the case; repeat offences should definitely warrant a telling off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

how is it unfair to other people? i doubt your grades are marked on a curve, so if you fail its your fault, not his, you should have studied more, or cheated. only instance where i would report cheating is probably in the LC, or exams where the grades are curved, since it affects me directly/indirectly, him getting a better grade wont affect you in any way, unless he gets a 1st in his final degree and you get a pass, he would be more employable, but you should have studied more, or cheated, to get that first, i dont see anything worth reporting here and being called a "rat"

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

You should have reported it at the time of the test. Its too late now as it will be your word vs his with no proof.

And the person that has cheated has gained an advantage. Why should he get a degree for little or no effort, go out get a good job at the expense of someone else who was honest. As for being called a "Rat". If someone calls you this they are very small minded. Better a honest person than a cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

No point in reporting the individual especially in the class while the test was happening.

Would probably have cuased more trouble in a small class test causing a distraction for others and stuff. If you aren't graded on a curve it isn't a concern. Maybe after the test you could approach the lecturer involved and notify them that cheating occured and that you would recommend a change in the test facility to prevent this from occuring again. Can't prevent that it happened but could prevent future cheating.

If you really want to make a difference,then approach every lecturer before every exam and notify them that someone in the class cheated on a previous test and that they should be on the look out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Isn't cheating a pre-requisite for getting on in life, love, business etc.
    ..an integral part of monarchies, monopolies, government, planning permission, banking, building, health and safety, cooking, entertainment, sport, medicine, law etc. etc. etc.

you should ask this person for some private tuition in this skill perhaps,
    I'm kinda joking but actually I'm kinda not as well if your gonna get upset every time you see someone cheating be prepared to be upset a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

if you feel the need too. he may raise the curve and rob an opportunity from you. get him kicked out and he'll think twice about cheating again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Well having known someone who cheated at the leaving cert, the view is it's better not to raise any commotion. You would have to prove that student cheated which if they managed to hide the notes again and the lecturer was unable to find it I'm sure they're could be some issue for you.

Your engineering module mightn't be graded on a curve anyway. Still I do think the best option would be to approach the lecturer in private and make them aware of this issue.

Advertisement