Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Slow Tonight ?

• 30-07-2010 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm in waterford and UTV is very slow tonight, anyone getting the same issues

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

BIGButters wrote: »
    I'm in waterford and UTV is very slow tonight, anyone getting the same issues

was using it tonight was fine in meath might have been an area problem

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

Mine has been slow since Friday.

It's normally 7616 kbps downstream with 658 upstream but since Friday afternoon it's been 7168 downstream with 512 upstream.

I'm due to have NGB 8 mbps turned on today (Aug 1) but I'm not really expecting it until Tuesday, being a holiday weekend (although it's not in NI)

I'm feeling a little P**'d off because I've confirmation from them that I'll be charged the new tarriff from today but my speed has gone down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

It's normally 7616 kbps downstream with 658 upstream but since Friday afternoon it's been 7168 downstream with 512 upstream.
    Ever since my exchange over-selling was addressed by Eircon[/] in January 2010, I've been getting decent speeds even at peak times. On some days, it does drop, but for the most part I'm happy with the service now that I'm not slowing to a crawl with excessive packet-loss lasting from the early evening until 12am-1am. I upgraded to their 8Mb package in March shortly after this fix, when it became available (was previously on 7.6Mb).

Though, 7616Kbps, on the 8Mb package? I did not think that was achievable with all the overheads and PPPoE (I connect using PPPoA to snag a tad bit more bandwidth - but even that only offers a small bit more than PPPoE).

This is what is my typical top-speed is at:
    899325333.png

I am 100 meters from my exchange with excellent line stats, so I did not think it could get better than that on 8Mb bitstream.

netgear-router-stats.png

UPDATE :

I'm now only connected at 5mb, which is the worst ever.

I emailed them this morning (replying to the "confirmation" that I'd be on 8mb from Aug 1) and now that I'm home I see there's a missed call on my landline from them but they only called once.

It looks like I was reduced down to their 7mb package because, according to the pricing in the "confirmation of tariff change" email I got, that's what I'm being charged for . . .

I've been on the 7.6mb package since it became available but that's no longer offered now apparently.

UPDATE :

I'm now only connected at 5mb, which is the worst ever.

I emailed them this morning (replying to the "confirmation" that I'd be on 8mb from Aug 1) and now that I'm home I see there's a missed call on my landline from them but they only called once.

It looks like I was reduced down to their 7mb package because, according to the pricing in the "confirmation of tariff change" email I got, that's what I'm being charged for . . .

I've been on the 7.6mb package since it became available but that's no longer offered now apparently.
    It's not but they wouldn't change you unless you agreed to sign a new contract. It's not available for new customers but they would still keep current customers on it. Maybe it's changed. I asked to be put on 8Mb so I can't really say for sure from my experience.

What are your line stats (Noise Margin and Line Attenuation)? Is your router syncing at 5Mb?

• Advertisement

I'll do a proper test later.

Right now my router is connected at 5120kbps with an upstream of 384.

I asked to be upgraded from 7.6 to 8mb and I have email confirmation stating that I would be switched from Aug 1.

It's just looking at the pricing online now, their 7mb package matches the price she's quoted in the email . . .

I'll do a proper test later.

Right now my router is connected at 5120kbps with an upstream of 384.

I asked to be upgraded from 7.6 to 8mb and I have email confirmation stating that I would be switched from Aug 1.

It's just looking at the pricing online now, their 7mb package matches the price she's quoted in the email . . .
    Perhaps she's messed it up. But I asked for those stats because it might be an indication of whether your line can support higher. You can always insist they connect you at the max speed for the package you're paying for, it's up to you. They can't force you to stay synced at 5.

UPDATE (for anyone interested)

I emailed UTV on Thursday last (Aug 5) to say that I would've preferred to have been left on the 7.6mb option if my line couldn't handle the NGB.

They called back within 2 mins and told me that the NGB option had been activated on Thursday, July 29 on my line and that the line CAN support it.

--- That's the date my speed dropped ---

He then transferred me to Tech. Support and the woman who answered said she'd test my line. When she came back to me she said that there's a FAULT on my line that looks like it's been there all along but was underlying and "dormant"

It would've stayed dormant had I not asked them to initiate NGB on my line because that has now triggered the fault so that it's "un-dormant" (that's the word she used)

She said that the fault report had already been escalated to Eircom from the first time I contacted them about it but Eircom have not yet responded to them.

Eircom still have to provide maintenance on the line so UTV cannot proceed until they hear back from them.

She said she'd escalate it again to Eircom but it would have to go through a Supervisor because it's a call regarding an "unresolved prior escalation"

She said UTV would "definately" call me back once they've heard from Eircom but I'm still waiting on that call . . .

UPDATE (for anyone interested)

I emailed UTV on Thursday last (Aug 5) to say that I would've preferred to have been left on the 7.6mb option if my line couldn't handle the NGB.

They called back within 2 mins and told me that the NGB option had been activated on Thursday, July 29 on my line and that the line CAN support it.

--- That's the date my speed dropped ---

He then transferred me to Tech. Support and the woman who answered said she'd test my line. When she came back to me she said that there's a FAULT on my line that looks like it's been there all along but was underlying and "dormant"

It would've stayed dormant had I not asked them to initiate NGB on my line because that has now triggered the fault so that it's "un-dormant" (that's the word she used)

She said that the fault report had already been escalated to Eircom from the first time I contacted them about it but Eircom have not yet responded to them.

Eircom still have to provide maintenance on the line so UTV cannot proceed until they hear back from them.

She said she'd escalate it again to Eircom but it would have to go through a Supervisor because it's a call regarding an "unresolved prior escalation"

She said UTV would "definately" call me back once they've heard from Eircom but I'm still waiting on that call . . .
    Hi Dave.

Don't put too much faith in those remote line tests. Anything, a speck of dust, can trigger the test to come back red. Half the line faults I've had over the last few years have been a load of ****. They often ask that you plug out the router and leave nothing plugged in besides the phone, so as to avoid any false-positives. Did the lady at UTV ask you to do that? Again, those tests they do remotely are unreliable and telling you there's a fault on your line, well, depending on whether they believe it to be true or not, is usually a waste of valuable time. Eircom may come back and say there's no problem whatsoever. The engineer may even leave a slip in your door to that effect, or just go back and tell the same to UTV.

If I was in your shoes right now, I'd be contacting UTV again and asking them to run the test again with nothing plugged in besides the phone (assuming they didn't ask you to do that the first time around). It won't eliminate the possibility of a false-positive, but it's your best bet for the moment. Also, can you post those line stats I mentioned in a previous post too?

21851670.png

Here are the stats from my router :

Down / Up

SNR (dB) : 14.2 / 22.0

Attn(dB): 38.0 / 24.0

Pwr(dBm): 19.7 / 11.9

• Advertisement

Anyone know how to interpret the line stats I posted as they seem bad comparing them to others?

I received a call from UTV tech. support today telling me that NGB is not possible on my line.

I was upset to say the least - why did they sell it to me (and switch my tariff) if it's not possible?

Apparently Eircom have provided them with records stating that my line has NEVER been capable of speeds over 7mb - something I beg to differ with as my router's log file shows I've been connected at 7616kbps since I purchased it over a year ago (to replace the crappy USB UTV-provided one)

Although my exchange is NGB 8mb enabled, my actual line is not and WILL NOT BE as it would require new wiring from the "pole" to the house, which they will not be providing...

--- I've never heard such crap in my life but she was getting agitated when I started questionning her.

I asked for my UAN (universal account number) today in an email and got a reply email stating that a member of their "Cancellations Team" will call me within 2 days to proceed with my account cancellation.

Where did that come from???

I only asked for the UAN because it shows up BLANK when I log in to my account online (and I do need it to investigat other services in my area)

Anyone know how to interpret the line stats I posted as they seem bad comparing them to others?

I received a call from UTV tech. support today telling me that NGB is not possible on my line.

I was upset to say the least - why did they sell it to me (and switch my tariff) if it's not possible?

Apparently Eircom have provided them with records stating that my line has NEVER been capable of speeds over 7mb - something I beg to differ with as my router's log file shows I've been connected at 7616kbps since I purchased it over a year ago (to replace the crappy USB UTV-provided one)

Although my exchange is NGB 8mb enabled, my actual line is not and WILL NOT BE as it would require new wiring from the "pole" to the house, which they will not be providing...

--- I've never heard such crap in my life but she was getting agitated when I started questionning her.

I asked for my UAN (universal account number) today in an email and got a reply email stating that a member of their "Cancellations Team" will call me within 2 days to proceed with my account cancellation.

Where did that come from???

I only asked for the UAN because it shows up BLANK when I log in to my account online (and I do need it to investigat other services in my area)
    Hi Dave. Sorry I didn't see your post edit, I read the original post without the stats. Those stats aren't terrible but are borderline, but still, 7.6Mb should be possible. You can still insist you get your profile sync upped and see how it goes.

Advertisement