Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Glasses/Eye Protection Do You Use?

Options
  • 30-07-2010 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering what kind of glasses, if at all, you use when shooting.

I will only use Oakley M Frame Polarized Lenses, or Amber in low light.

Please be specific as you can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA wrote: »
    I am just wondering what kind of glasses, if at all, you use when shooting.

I will only use Oakley M Frame Polarized Lenses, or Amber in low light.

Please be specific as you can.

Amber works well in low light, my mate fly fishing last few nights has a pair he got for €20 , I have a pair of amber safety glases I got for €12.

I would not buy expoensive glasses as i have lost more pairs down the years.
    And broken even more.

the €12 pair safety wrap around glasses amber are really easy on the eye in all light conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

oakley .
    have half jackets in the jeep ,use M frames and have a pair of radars Crystal black ,with the path lenses in the post should have them Tuesday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Over the years i have bought and tried many glasses. The ones i have at the moment are:

Beretta - PC Polarised lens. - Smoke, Yellow, Vermillion coloured.

Smith and Wesson - Viewmaster- Polarised with Nylon based frame - Smoke coloured

Peltor- Maxim Ballistic lens - Clear, Yellow, Smoke.

Lastly my favorite pair. NYX Arrow - Polycarbonate lens - Wrap around frames. Sent as a gift by family in the states. Lost them a year ago :mad:
    arrow.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I don't use glasses and know very little about them??

When do ye use them and why the need for so many different lenses??

Please enlighten me! :confused:

patsat wrote: »
    I don't use glasses and know very little about them??

When do ye use them and why the need for so many different lenses??

Please enlighten me! :confused:

Certain lenses make certain colours easier to see.

My fav shade is a greeny amber colour, rabbits are easier spot etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Specsavers ones:(

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Specsavers ones:(

You can get lens caps for glasses Dusty fairly cheap, my mate got some in spec saver AFAIK.

I find them glasses of great use in the winter shooting birds when the sun is low in the sky.
    However I would not spend more than €20 on them as I must be on my 8th pair at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I wear prescription glasses, so I get my optician to supply prescription safety glasses from Bollé Safety.

Rovi wrote: »
    I wear prescription glasses, so I get my optician to supply prescription safety glasses from Bollé Safety.

I may be getting a pair for work reasons, however Rovi do you know of a cheaper pair, TBH I think Dusty would prefer a not so expensive pair as he has a young family and a pair of Bollé could be expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Wiley-X, can't remember the model with either clear or orange lense's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I may be getting a pair for work reasons, however Rovi do you know of a cheaper pair, TBH I think Dusty would prefer a not so expensive pair as he has a young family and a pair of Bollé could be expensive
    There's an old (very old!) saying in the motorcycle community: "If you have a 10 bob head, get a 10 bob helmet".
    The same sentiment should apply to eye protection, in my opinion.

That said, Bollé stuff could never be accused of being at the 'economy' end of things.
    The last pair I got was in the region of €200 or thereabouts.

Bollé is what my optician carries, so I didn't look any further to be honest.
    I suppose it's a case of asking your optician what the options are.

Rovi wrote: »
    There's an old (very old!) saying in the motorcycle community: "If you have a 10 bob head, get a 10 bob helmet".
    The same sentiment should apply to eye protection, in my opinion.

That said, Bollé stuff could never be accused of being at the 'economy' end of things.
    The last pair I got was in the region of €200 or thereabouts.

Bollé is what my optician carries, so I didn't look any further to be honest.
    I suppose it's a case of asking your optician what the options are.

Well i wear a Shoei and it cost €450 5 years ago, and that was COST!

The Bolle perscription glasses are standard issue to us in work now.
    Nobody would wear the Russian tractor driver type as we used to call them:D

This sport can just eat money!:(

Dusty, I think yer fecked :D
    http://www.specsavers.ie/glasses/lens-options/

The Cheapest I can see are €45 for driving in day or night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Patsat,
    I was never one for paying a lot of money on sunglasses. I thought paying that kind of money was more vanity - like buying a pair of 7 jeans.

Anyhow, there are several reasons that I now swear by Oakley M Frames.

1) I have heard that they can survive a shotgun blast 15 ya away. I hope I never have to test this theory, but if something goes wrong with the receiver, anything would help.

2) Eye fatigue - first got this while cycling using a cheap pair of sunglasses. After a long time in the saddle, 5 hours or so, those imperfections in the cheap glasses were taking their toll. I didn't want it to be permanent, so I bought some Oakley XX's,

3) When you use a pair of polarized or amber lenses, at first, things can look strange. Then when you take them off, you'll think that the world is very hazy - a lot of blues and greys. I actually would prefer if the world stayed the same color - it's much nicer.

4) In low light conditions, the amber lenses actually make everything look brighter. I forget why this is. Obviously, a lens that filters out light can hardly make things brighter. From what I remember, yellow/amber lenses block the blue light which does not fall properly on the retina. Thus, its removal causes vision to be sharper.

5) I also fish. If you do not have a pair of polarized glasses for fishing, you must get some.

6) UV protection - Caucasians, especially as fair as those on the Emerald Isle, need to take care of their eyes. In extreme cases, like snow blindness, you can sort of tan your eyes.

Everyone should get their eyes checked once a year. A doctor will look through the center of your eye to see if their is a freckle on the retina. Freckles can become cancerous. Verrrry important. Probably, the #1 reason I always wear shades.

With that said, I think that it is also true that blocking UV rays is a simple matter and that even the cheap sunglasses can do it. I just prefer to have such a guarantee from a reputable company. If I remember correctly, UV can also penetrate clouds.

Finally, if you are going to get a pair, get a large pair of lenses. When you try on the glasses, you should not be able to see the frame. If you can see the frame then they are blocking your vision. This is probably more true for cyclists, however, you never know when it might block game in your peripheral vision.
    48594357a6da2.jpg?1276818935

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

I use Oakley radars when shooting clays, with the G26 lens for bright days and the persimmon for duller days. The G26 really makes the clays stand out. Some of the lads have hidefspex and they were impressed with the G26 lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Dusty, I think yer fecked :D
    http://www.specsavers.ie/glasses/lens-options/

The Cheapest I can see are €45 for driving in day or night

Ah she'll survive on re-useable nappys for a few weeks ie dishcloth and safety pin:D:D

Feck it, me own glasses will do

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Ah she'll survive on re-useable nappys for a few weeks ie dishcloth and safety pin:D:D

Feck it, me own glasses will do

They are a luxory item at the end of the day.

all you need is rifle & Ammo in the field.;)

Patsat,
    I was never one for paying a lot of money on sunglasses. I thought paying that kind of money was more vanity - like buying a pair of 7 jeans.

Anyhow, there are several reasons that I now swear by Oakley M Frames.

1) I have heard that they can survive a shotgun blast 15 ya away. I hope I never have to test this theory, but if something goes wrong with the receiver, anything would help.

2) Eye fatigue - first got this while cycling using a cheap pair of sunglasses. After a long time in the saddle, 5 hours or so, those imperfections in the cheap glasses were taking their toll. I didn't want it to be permanent, so I bought some Oakley XX's,

3) When you use a pair of polarized or amber lenses, at first, things can look strange. Then when you take them off, you'll think that the world is very hazy - a lot of blues and greys. I actually would prefer if the world stayed the same color - it's much nicer.

4) In low light conditions, the amber lenses actually make everything look brighter. I forget why this is. Obviously, a lens that filters out light can hardly make things brighter. From what I remember, yellow/amber lenses block the blue light which does not fall properly on the retina. Thus, its removal causes vision to be sharper.

5) I also fish. If you do not have a pair of polarized glasses for fishing, you must get some.

6) UV protection - Caucasians, especially as fair as those on the Emerald Isle, need to take care of their eyes. In extreme cases, like snow blindness, you can sort of tan your eyes.

Everyone should get their eyes checked once a year. A doctor will look through the center of your eye to see if their is a freckle on the retina. Freckles can become cancerous. Verrrry important. Probably, the #1 reason I always wear shades.

With that said, I think that it is also true that blocking UV rays is a simple matter and that even the cheap sunglasses can do it. I just prefer to have such a guarantee from a reputable company. If I remember correctly, UV can also penetrate clouds.

Finally, if you are going to get a pair, get a large pair of lenses. When you try on the glasses, you should not be able to see the frame. If you can see the frame then they are blocking your vision. This is probably more true for cyclists, however, you never know when it might block game in your peripheral vision.
    48594357a6da2.jpg?1276818935

oakley have stopped making M frames

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Oakley M Frames with the Yellow lenses for indoor shooting

Oakley M Frames with Grey Iridium for outdoor

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

jwshooter wrote: »
    oakley have stopped making M frames

Not so sure about that as they even have new release M Frames listed here
    http://ie.oakley.com/category/464

Anyone ever buy the "new with defects" Oakley's on ebay like these
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-OAKLEY-SI-M-Frame-HYBRID-S-MATTE-BLACK-CLEAR-11-076-/280537324799?#ht_2793wt_1139

• Advertisement

Lemon3 wrote: »
    Not so sure about that as they even have new release M Frames listed here
    http://ie.oakley.com/category/464

Anyone ever buy the "new with defects" Oakley's on ebay like these
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-OAKLEY-SI-M-Frame-HYBRID-S-MATTE-BLACK-CLEAR-11-076-/280537324799?#ht_2793wt_1139

i have heard it off a few agents in ireland and england ,once stocks are gone thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

JWS,
    I know that they discontinued my XX's. Ridiculous, cannot even get nose pieces or socks for them.

Have you or anyone else a link for an article? I am coming up with nothing.

I do see a few sites that say "sorry this stock is out of stock or discontinued."

I wonder if this is leading to confusion.

Want to know as I will buy another heater lens if it is true ASAP.

I think y'er man may have be on about a particular model of the M frame.

At Oakley's site, under new releases, there are several M frames.

http://www.oakley.com/category/464

JWS,
    I know that they discontinued my XX's. Ridiculous, cannot even get nose pieces or socks for them.

Have you or anyone else a link for an article? I am coming up with nothing.

I do see a few sites that say "sorry this stock is out of stock or discontinued."

I wonder if this is leading to confusion.

Want to know as I will buy another heater lens if it is true ASAP.

if you want oakley haggis hartman in west country guns in the uk .he told me the M frames are been discontinued .

the radars are the way forward ,new lens coating etc

Advertisement