Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Accommodation thread *** Queries & Availability

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MaMAme

Any idea what they are like? I understand there are only about 20 apartements, any other information would be most welcome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

My friend lived there for her last two years of college and said it was a grand place to stay. She ended up getting know all of the other people that lived there but from what I remember is that if somethings broken it gets fixed quick enough.

I'll send her a message later and grill her on what she thought of the place if ya like :) but from what I gathered is that she enjoyed her time there.

Can I ask what year of college you're in/going into?

Thanks That would be great,you are a star:D Ya, I'm starting a masters, art therapy.

Ah fantastic, I'm starting a masters as well but it's all the way up in Belfast. Despite it's horrid looks I'd love to stay in CIT as it's a great college but it's way cheaper up North.

Sent my friend a message, just waiting for her to get back to me. Will either be later today or tomorrow

Really appreciate it, :D:D:D Thank you, & best of luck in Belfast :D

• Advertisement

Thanks very much, good luck to you too :)

Friend got back to me anyway, she said she loved the place and while it isn't the best looking place you soon get over that. You can move into an apartment of 4 or 7 and the apartment might be mixed but the place is big enough. And also security is easy going

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Thanks very much, good luck to you too :)

Friend got back to me anyway, she said she loved the place and while it isn't the best looking place you soon get over that. You can move into an apartment of 4 or 7 and the apartment might be mixed but the place is big enough. And also security is easy going

Thanks for going to so much trouble, you've been really helpful, your friend too:D

No trouble at all, glad I could help and I hope you enjoy your stay...

Christ I sound like some sort of hotel receptionist :o

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

I'm looking for somewhere to live for the academic year [hopefully, anyway] and searching through properties online, I'm constantly met by a really annoying phenomenon: a rental will offer a 'house [apartment/tower/box..] to let for X euro a week', but in most cases it's not clarified whether the rent will cover the whole house of just your room. I plan to share with other human beings, so this would be very useful to find out.

I have a very tight budget [100 euro a week overall, not just for rent] is not a conservative estimate, and I desperately need to find accommodation I can afford as soon as possible.

Any property-minded people [or students with experience] here who can clarify this irritating trend? I've emailed a couple of offers, but it would be nice to know about this in general.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.
    EDIT: In Cork, possibly going to the IT. We shall see on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Have you tried daft.ie? That has it broken up into sections, Sharing, Letting etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Have you tried daft.ie? That has it broken up into sections, Sharing, Letting etc...

I've been snooping around there, yes. For some obscure reason, I completely failed to notice the 'sharing' section. Thanks for the heads-up, Mr. Moderator. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FreerangeEgo

I've stayed in Abbeyville Apartments and would wholeheartedly recommend them! Very handy too if you're going to CIT as they're only just across the road. The prices have come down in recent times too to match the reality of the downturn. My cousin is going to stay there this year: http://www.abbeyville.org/

No, you sound like someone who knows of what they speak!!!

I've stayed in Abbeyville Apartments and would wholeheartedly recommend them! Very handy too if you're going to CIT as they're only just across the road. The prices have come down in recent times too to match the reality of the downturn. My cousin is going to stay there this year: http://www.abbeyville.org/

Thanks a Million, have deposit paid. Art dept hace premises, probably rented, just behind abbeyville apartments, so I won't even have to cross the road !:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I went for parchment square in the end I got with my barthroom and dubble bed nice app
    edan hall is a shi.t hole to this and was at deans Hall that was a bit to far out for me

So who is a 1st year in parchment square then?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

I went for parchment square in the end I got with my barthroom and dubble bed nice app
    edan hall is a shi.t hole to this and was at deans Hall that was a bit to far out for me

How is eden hall a sh1thole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Was in the show house today and it was a ****hole because is was a funny samell coming from it and you had to go into the upder grownd carpark to get to the app and I did not like the rooms and the guy in the office said if you use a lot of the Internet you will be cut off and he said the the ps3 and chic would not work on it

And was giving a extra 200 euro off the rent for the year no wonder because you have a pub on site that is not nice to have where you have to stay because if you end up in app where the pub is you will never sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

samapple the internet never gets cut off, my friend raped it for torrents for a year, nothing happened...

And its student accommodation its gonna smell funny..

And it doesnt matter if you live in eden hall over the pub or in parchment, there are nights you will never sleep with the noise!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shellyleon

We have to spare double rooms in a five bedroom, two bathrooms house, all mod cons in quiet estate. Parking available and rent 300 euro monthly, low bills. First and second year students preferably. Non smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Isacc

I stayed there this summer, there were loads of complaints, from everyone in the flat really and anyone we met who was staying there, there was a lot of americans around and students from Spain. The American students were not happy at all and asked us to complain as well and review the place. Reception was not open when we arrived, the flat not cleaned properly after the students left in June we think, some rooms had mildew in the showers but not ours thankfully. It was cheap but we would rather pay a bit more and get a better place.They did not charge us properly either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Was in Abbeyville for 2 years. Security is lax but that's kind of a good thing. Eden hall can be a nightmare you bring a couple of friends back and they block you at the door, or they come to your room and make people leave. I've had this happened when we're simply sitting about watching TV. It's a bit ridiculous. They have a guy to call in Abbeyville if there's some sort of disturbance but they aren't really aggressive about shutting down any sort of activity happening.

I get the impression Parchment tends to be a bit noisy cos there's a serious amount of foot traffic around the place. Let's say if you're a bit hungover and nip home at lunchtime for a lie if you may find it's pretty damn noisy. I think you don't have a washing machine in your apartment either you have to go to go to some laundry room and pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

me :)
    anyone know if first years are kept together... or hows that work?

It depends on your requests really!!...

If your house mates are dick heads you can ask to move no problem anyways...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Laxie

Have read the thread from start to finish and am now more confused than ever! Any chance someone with knowledge of all three could break down the pros and cons of each one? Caught between Parchment, Abbeyville and Eden. I'm a parent about to book my 18 year old son in for his first year. So I suppose the pros and cons from both our points of view really as I'm the one paying the bills. lol Much appreciated.

Laxie wrote: »
    Have read the thread from start to finish and am now more confused than ever! Any chance someone with knowledge of all three could break down the pros and cons of each one? Caught between Parchment, Abbeyville and Eden. I'm a parent about to book my 18 year old son in for his first year. So I suppose the pros and cons from both our points of view really as I'm the one paying the bills. lol Much appreciated.

I only know Abbeyville, but I am happy with it. I am a mature student paying my own bills :D. It's less expensive & seems quieter...so far, smaller complex,less foot traffic etc. Mind you, if I was an 18yr old I would go for Parchment or Eden, to be in the thick of things. Alsso depends on what part of campus you attend, Parchment is good if your walking to CIT on rainy days! My advice would for both of you to visit the respective places. Good luck with it all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Laxie wrote: »

Having had friends stay in all 3, I'd go with Parchment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Was in the show house today and it was a ****hole because is was a funny samell coming from it and you had to go into the upder grownd carpark to get to the app and I did not like the rooms and the guy in the office said if you use a lot of the Internet you will be cut off and he said the the ps3 and chic would not work on it

And was giving a extra 200 euro off the rent for the year no wonder because you have a pub on site that is not nice to have where you have to stay because if you end up in app where the pub is you will never sleep

?? imo this is a load of crap. you only ahve to go into the underground carpark to get to blocks A-D. The blocks go up to P. The internet thing is just a lie. I think you've been confused with parchment and Edenhall. i lived in edenhall for a yr and was never once cut off despite downloading many many GBs. however it's a policy in parchment to cut off Internet if you use too much bandwidth- ie. no torrents, no downloading, no more than 4 tabs or 2 browser windows. They do it so that the speed is quicker for everyone. The ps3 will defo work, our Xbox did. Of course it's nice living near the pub, they vary rarely rent the apartments around the pub itself and it's handy to have it so close. The loft is very cheap too and a great way to get to know other people who live in Eden.

pros and cons as I see em (parchment and edenhall only)

Parchment
    pros: Its the closest to college.
    it has a pizza place
    you have a key to access the college when the gate is closed
    the office staff are lovely

cons: The internet cutoff is SO annoying.
    You need to pay to park your car.
    They will rape you on your deposit
    Next to no security compared to edenhall
    They banned TOASTERS!!!!!
    Also they do regular room checks and stuff

Edenhall
    pros: Free car-parking
    unlimited internet access
    close access to bar/sports facilities/beauticians/offy
    Security is great (note this may be a con if you plan on throwing parties!)
    cons: Its a little further away from the college.
    It's across the stupid road thats impossible to cross in the morn
    Theres a slight possibility that you may be near the pub

thats just my 2c

?? imo this is a load of crap. you only ahve to go into the underground carpark to get to blocks A-D. The blocks go up to P. The internet thing is just a lie. I think you've been confused with parchment and Edenhall. i lived in edenhall for a yr and was never once cut off despite downloading many many GBs. however it's a policy in parchment to cut off Internet if you use too much bandwidth- ie. no torrents, no downloading, no more than 4 tabs or 2 browser windows. They do it so that the speed is quicker for everyone. The ps3 will defo work, our Xbox did. Of course it's nice living near the pub, they vary rarely rent the apartments around the pub itself and it's handy to have it so close. The loft is very cheap too and a great way to get to know other people who live in Eden.

Parchment
    it has a pizza place

Edenhall
    pros: Free car-parking
    unlimited internet access
    close access to bar/sports facilities/beauticians/offy
    Security is great (note this may be a con if you plan on throwing parties!)
    cons: Its a little further away from the college.
    It's across the stupid road thats impossible to cross in the morn
    Theres a slight possibility that you may be near the pub

thats just my 2c

Think your being a bit unfair to Parchment there somehow...

The net and paking is a bit stupid alright but the security is perfect, ive never had a problem that wasnt solved at night by them! And they take no notice of toasters, george foremans etc despite what it says in the contract! They only inforce the Deep fat fryer bit, there was even a fire with one this year there (fierce buzz, the night of the floods!!)... We were good last year, they had no hassle with us, got one room check, and got our full deposit back with a lot of the esb money back too!!... Once you get friendly with the wardens all your problems will be solved:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Parchment
    it has a pizza place

Ah now, when I lived there (2 years ago) the office staff were absolute cunts. And the key to access the college was an old thing. They close it at 11ish and the keys don't work to open it. Unless they've brought it back in again. Pizza place is horrible when you are living right above it and you are hungover and all you can smell is sickening pizza.

Why is nobody mentioning Deanshall? Seems nice from what I've seen! Anyway...get a house!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Kinkylukinbitch

Hey Does Anyone know of any accomadation still available close to cit, in the bishopstown/model farm road area. besides parchment square or any of the student complexes. Write back! Stressed Out Student! :( :(Thanks

Advertisement