Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Accommodation thread *** Queries & Availability

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Ring the college... They'd have a list of houses and stuff still to be filled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

hi everyone, im looking for accommodation near CIT, i'm a third year student looking to move in straight away of possible. anyone got any ideas?

cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hi guys

Startin a postgrad dip this month and looking at Eden Hall for accommodation. If anyones in there this year, or was in there
    last year, be very grateful if you'd PM me asap. Have a few
    questions. (not many!)

Cheers
    Max :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 1988

Hi

Can anyone tell me where the Crawford site is in Cork city as I don't know the area too well.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hattrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

i was there 4 years ago if that helps??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Snap2010

Doesn't seem to be a very helpful thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cjgib

shared ensuite apartment in eden hall available now will offer good discount.
    phone 0873288406

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

You might get some success in the Third-level accommodation thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=975

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Well a lot of my friends are already putting in deposits for accommodation in there first preference college for the academic year of 2011/2012. So I'm wondering is this the normal practice for accommodation in the area of CIT.

Me and a friend who are both planing on attending CIT next year as well as a friend of mine who is also in UCC ideally would like to rent out a 3 bedroom house. If that wasn't possible a 3 bedroom apartment. I assume this is achievable if we put a deposit in early.

Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Anywhere in Bishopstown/Wilton/Model Farm Road is walking distance. Best bus route for it is the number 5. The number 8 (more regular) doesn't stop too far from there either.

Thanks, yet another question now.

People attending CIT!

When did you sort out your accommodation when you were going into your first year?

I was told by CIT the list of houses / apartments for rent that they have comes out in may and me and two friends would ideally want a house to ourselves (3 bed room) so we may hold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Noname_88

Hi all,
    I've dropped out of CIT and am set to move to Scotland for a job. The problem is Parchment want the further €2047.50 for the remaining part of the lease. I have a single en-suite going in an all male apartment and would like to offer it to anyone who is interested. The lease goes on untill June and it will be available from Monday. I'm in dire need of offloading it and will offer a deal with a few hundred off the €2047.50. Any more info required please feel free to ask or PM me. :)

Thanks

Will sell now for 25% (€500) off, i'm offerin it for €1500 now, so please if you know of anyone who might be interested it would be great. :)
    cheers

Sorry for the shameless self bump but,
    When did you (CIT Students) arrange accommodation for your 1st year? Was it during sixth year or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Princess Lou

When I went into first year I started looking the day after the CAO which was very late because lots of the apartment blocks were taken...With time you get wiser Im in third year now and got my house in June...just be careful not to sign a contract for a place for 12 months unless you are planning on staying there for the full time and take pics of the place before you move anything in incase there is hassle trying to get your deposit back afterwards. hope that helps if you have any questions feel free to pm me and ill try to assist you best I can

Thanks just wanted to know when as Iv friends that are on the UL waiting list for college campus accommodation as its already booked out. Guidance counselor was telling me to look now - but noting seems to be available for booking yet, so fair game I can definitely wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

For last 4 years I generally start looking a couple of days before the term starts. A rake of people always cancel around then so there's usually plenty of rooms about. That said, I always move in on my own with strangers and I'm not trying to block-book 3 rooms or whatever.

Apartment still available and open to offers. Thanks

Due to a deposit required of 500 euro i will knock that of my lowest offer so 1 thousand euro offer and i will happily sell.
    The deposit covers your heating, water, security etc so providing you leave your apartment as found there is no reason you shouldn't see 250 -300 in june.

Many Thanks

Cheers

• Advertisement

Would be willing to accept apartment at 500 euro now to which you would also pay parchment a further 500 which you will easily see 70% in June,

Please if anyone knows of anyone who needs somewhere for final few months it be really appreciated,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Seckz Panther

Hey, I'm going studying Multimedia at Cork IT come September, and I was wondering which would be the best spot for accommodation near the IT ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Id recommend Eden Hall anyway. Parchment Square is a little closer and a bit cheaper though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Would recommend Parchment!

Good prices for next year!

Check it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I dont no really what to say about Parchment i was staying there before i dropped out of college but returning in the new school year

The apartments are very small for 3 people there was about 1ft by 1ft of space to get things ready to cook which pissed me off big time really the only downfall is how small the kitchen is.

The rooms are ok i had the big room in my apartment but its bit small for 105 euro a weak but still nice all the same but if you end up in the 95 euro a weak room the rooms are very small and you cant swing a cat in them because i was in one for a weak before i moved into the big room

but the only thing the might happing is that they get a lot of drop outs in the 1st few weaks so you might get the hole apart to yourself which can be a bit lonely from time to time

But the staff there are great and very helpfull if you need them for anything eg i was allways locking my key into my bedroom and had to get someone to opening my door all the time

Also one more thing to add its only 5 mins to CIT which is great and very handy in the winter when its raining but because its so near to CIT there is no shops to get food only a very exp shop where it costs 3.00 for 2L of milk so do your Shoping in Tesco in Paul ST in the city

But i would say Parchment is great but the only downfall is the same kitchen if your planing on cooking a lot but the student life is great there bar for a few bad apples but i still not going back to stay there next year because i can get a nicer place for 105 euros a weak but dont take my word for it because you will be the one staying there next year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

sorry to drag up an old thread.

cit is on my list for this year and am researching all d student accomms and wanted peoples advice.

am gonna b 26 and doing culinary arts (assuming i get it). now i am not the quitest or the loudest of people so like a bit of fun and a bit of quiet. am unfortch on social at the mo so don't got the massivest of cash.

do any of them offer any other payment options than moiety? also a lot mention things like parents info/reference from school principal???? neither viable for me!!!

(on a side note, i haven't heard back from cit since submitting my cao, don't know if this bad or good. know some of the other places i applied have had HUGE numbers and are taking forever to go thru, also heard some of the places i applied don't bother to contact you at all - for interview etc - and the first you hear is when the cao come back to you with a place. anyone any sort of notion how cit work!)

as to being too old, the thing about it is wherever i go to college i won't know the place at all. i wouldn't know how to go about private rented accommodation (such as house share or whatever) down there, wouldn't know where to look, which areas to look for etc. so with student accommodation it is all laid out for you there and reduces the stress and hassle of finding somewhere to live. i don't need all that extra stress heaped upon me at the moment tbh.

also i have heard of mature students living in student accommodation. i didn't think it was an exclusively young person thing.

ok you are coming across really harsh there. what i meant about the stress of finding a house is i can't be driving up and down to cork or wherever time and time again to view different places. it is massively time consuming and costly. i don't have either of those things at the mo. i can handle the stress of college, i just am new to this whole finding accommodation thing and don't understand the way the market works etc.

ok maybe i am reading you wrong. i know i am having a bad day (lot of pain etc) so things look a hell of a lot more urgh on days like today yakno.

one difference between a 19 yo and me though is they generally (although admittedly not always) have parental support in these things. parents to take some of the weight off and help them organise. i wish i had their parents.

i am looking at the college section of daft right now - thanks for that, never knew it existed, always looked at the main rental section on there and got lost trying to sift through them all, it is very helpful - and making a list of everywhere that seems suitable, around all the colleges i applied for. this is making things a lot easier, and finding private housing sounds so much better

one question, none of them are mentioning deposit so far so can i safely assume that the general rule there is deposit is the amount of 1 months rent? for budget terms.

thanks for your help and sorry i was a bit snotty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MaMAme

hdowney "as to being too old, the thing about it is wherever i go to college i won't know the place at all. i wouldn't know how to go about private rented accommodation (such as house share or whatever) down there, wouldn't know where to look, which areas to look for etc. so with student accommodation it is all laid out for you there and reduces the stress and hassle of finding somewhere to live. i don't need all that extra stress heaped upon me at the moment tbh.

also i have heard of mature students living in student accommodation. i didn't think it was an exclusively young person thing."

You are correct, I am one of several, that I know, MATURE STUDENTS, living in student accommodation. There is no nonsense with bills etc. The cost is clear etc. I have lived in Cork, in Abbeyville which is accross the road from CIT, in an apt with 3 other students for the past achademic year. It has been great. I plan to do it again next year. Abbeyville is opposite parchment square but with fewer apts so less footfall.

Advertisement