Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Accommodation thread *** Queries & Availability

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MaMAme

hdowney wrote: »
    as to being too old, the thing about it is wherever i go to college i won't know the place at all. i wouldn't know how to go about private rented accommodation (such as house share or whatever) down there, wouldn't know where to look, which areas to look for etc. so with student accommodation it is all laid out for you there and reduces the stress and hassle of finding somewhere to live. i don't need all that extra stress heaped upon me at the moment tbh.

also i have heard of mature students living in student accommodation. i didn't think it was an exclusively young person thing.

You are correct, I am one of several, that I know, MATURE STUDENTS, living in student accommodation. There is no nonsense with bills etc. The cost is clear etc. I have lived in Cork, in Abbeyville which is accross the road from CIT, in an apt with 3 other students for the past achademic year. It has been great. I plan to do it again next year. Abbeyville is opposite parchment square but with fewer apts so less footfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

MaMAme wrote: »
    hdowney "as to being too old, the thing about it is wherever i go to college i won't know the place at all. i wouldn't know how to go about private rented accommodation (such as house share or whatever) down there, wouldn't know where to look, which areas to look for etc. so with student accommodation it is all laid out for you there and reduces the stress and hassle of finding somewhere to live. i don't need all that extra stress heaped upon me at the moment tbh.

also i have heard of mature students living in student accommodation. i didn't think it was an exclusively young person thing."

You are correct, I am one of several, that I know, MATURE STUDENTS, living in student accommodation. There is no nonsense with bills etc. The cost is clear etc. I have lived in Cork, in Abbeyville which is accross the road from CIT, in an apt with 3 other students for the past achademic year. It has been great. I plan to do it again next year. Abbeyville is opposite parchment square but with fewer apts so less footfall.

if you don't mind me asking how old are you? also what age group did they put you in with?

for some reason all the posts i was replying to have dissapeared so it looks like i am having a convo with myself!

if you don't mind me asking how old are you? also what age group did they put you in with?

for some reason all the posts i was replying to have dissapeared so it looks like i am having a convo with myself!

I replied but don't know if it went through, so I am 50 yrs old & iasked to be grouped with 3rd/4th yrs . . . . as opposed to first years. There was a post grad, a second & third yr & myself, first sem. That changed with people going on placement, replaced with fás student.

sound. glad to hear that there are mature students in student accommodation. not sure what i am gonna do myself yet (not sure where i am going either)! i am looking into both private and student. cost will be a big factor for me i guess :)

sound. glad to hear that there are mature students in student accommodation. not sure what i am gonna do myself yet (not sure where i am going either)! i am looking into both private and student. cost will be a big factor for me i guess :)
    Sounds like the best approach. This may seem obvious but make sure you've included all costs . . . utilities, refuge etc. so no nasty shocks later. Also I wanted broadband in my room and accommodation near public transport. So I'd advise you to list your priorities it makes comparison more effective. Good luck with it all.:D

• Advertisement

MaMAme wrote: »
    Sounds like the best approach. This may seem obvious but make sure you've included all costs . . . utilities, refuge etc. so no nasty shocks later. Also I wanted broadband in my room and accommodation near public transport. So I'd advise you to list your priorities it makes comparison more effective. Good luck with it all.:D

believe me the list is endless. so far it includes how is it payable (such as in private accommodation - the deposit, rent due, are utilities seperate, and in student accommodation moiety or can they be paid monthly, size of deposit and what does it cover, where does utility payment come from). then there is what is provided - eg ensuite or no, size of bed/room/shared section, is there broadband etc.

it is driving me potty at the moment cos it has the nastiness of going through my head when i am trying to sleep. so i am going cuckoo going over things, trying to remember them all or make notes, trying not to stress and trying to sleep!

then there is which college am i going to get into, did i put them in the right order, are they still in the right order etc.

ARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Anyone give a little pro's and con's review of Abbeyville?

Whats security like? Are they strict can you bring a few friends over for the weekend?

Internet? Any restrictions? Speed?

Distance? (I will be sharing with a UCC student hopefully so it has to be a compromise)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Whats security like? Are they strict can you bring a few friends over for the weekend?

Distance? (I will be sharing with a UCC student hopefully so it has to be a compromise)

Hmm Abbeyville you could be living with 4 or 5 in the app..

There is Internet, no idea how good, but if its like all student accom its fairly slow!

Its about a good 20 - 30 mins (fast) walk from UCC, 5 mins or less from CIT...

But there is a 5 bus stop a bit down the road which goes by UCC...

Security... Hmm... Always known as pretty easy to get people in Abbeyville the past few years but there has gates been put in lately so not sure have they have they people in mid week as security guards but the weekends are so dead up here you'll have no probs of getting your mates in!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Hmm Abbeyville . . .

Do you know if its possible to request to be put with friends. Ie. Myself and a friend both first years along with another friend who will be in 2nd year in UCC are hoping to get into the same accommodation.

Do you know if its possible to request to be put with friends. Ie. Myself and a friend both first years along with another friend who will be in 2nd year in UCC are hoping to get into the same accommodation.

Yup i'm pretty sure it can be arranged if you let them know in time!

Not sure about the price over there but i can say Parchment square is the lowest it has ever been id say! €77 for a single en suite! I waas paying over €105 2 years back!! :rolleyes: €70 for a single standard!

I'd recommend you take a look! Wouldn't go anywhere else if I had the choice!

• Advertisement

No probs with security just don't be really loud & you can bring friends in.
    Internet can be slow sometimes-think thats common in student accommodation but no restrictions:D
    Our apt was for 4 people.Yes friends can share just explain what you want when you apply & get friends to do same.
    No rules about having toasters etc either.
    Distance- CIT 5 min walk across rd. UCC about 10min on bus.
    Ballincollig bus stops opposite Abbeyville,handy if you have anything big or heavy couse you can transfer to it in bus station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭gavinhenson

any one have any info on eden hall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 An Ghaeilge cac

No good iptions for accommodation in the area unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

I've stayed in both places now and while edenhall apartments may seem bigger (only the living room) i think that parchment is way better, and they're prices for next year are very reasonable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blink182

yeah eden hall may be nicer inside and bigger but when i stayed there i found it harder to go to college i would def pick parchment over eden hall and its lik 77 euros a week i think this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

I would definitely recommend Parchment Square; the closest student accommodation to CIT, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms are nice, the internet is good, you get over a dozen channels, you can recycle and it has its own shop which is pretty good. Plus it's a shorter walk to the Number 5 bus stop than Eden Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatcartoget

What is the best accommodation to stay in for a first year at cit?
    I want to be close enough to cit and would like a popular place among first years!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

Most popular would be deans hall or parchment square. I dont live in either but from staying at friends places, deans hall is the better place. I found parchment too noisy and far away from Bishopstown, but then again its a shorter walk!

What course are you doing, out of curiosity! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Yeah I was wondering this too and after looking through the other threads I was set on Eden Hall but never saw Dean's Hall before.
    Can anyone comment as to which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatcartoget

I heard a lot of bad comments about eden hall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

I heard a lot of bad comments about eden hall!

Damn ya anyway :p I was gonna apply tomorrow, may check out others now.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

I booked parchment square, €77 per week close to campus...it'll do! I looked up house shares but they're all more expensive than parchment. If you pay both installments at once you get €200 off.

Richieffff I'm a wexican too..we wont be alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

Yeah i haven't heard good things about eden (pretty similar to parchment, noise, rubbish etc....)

I live in a house share that's 50-60 a week. that being said, its a pure kip, no heating, single glazing etc.... :cool:

Have lived in Parchment for the past three years..

Never had a problem..

Well worth the money..

Couldn't fault them!...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If you are looking for a house then you should be looking for addresses on Melbourne road, Rossa avenue, Model Farm Road, Kennelly Close, Any address with Uam Var in it, Chestnut Grove they would be the closest. As for apartments all the ones mentioned above are decent but I personally would not recommend them. If you plan on going partying non stop the security in student apartments can be a bit of a downer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

Thing about those apartments is you're not allowed to do much. They fine you 50e for stupid stuff like not de-icing the freezer. You'd be better off living with mammy than in one of them places

Thing about those apartments is you're not allowed to do much. They fine you 50e for stupid stuff like not de-icing the freezer. You'd be better off living with mammy than in one of them places

3 years there and never been fined for anything!

And have never defrosted the freezer ;)

You get in trouble if you draw it on yourself!

Otherwise no-one will bother you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

3 years there and never been fined for anything!

And have never defrosted the freezer ;)

You get in trouble if you draw it on yourself!

Otherwise no-one will bother you!

Do they give you a lot of stupid rules to follow? Somoene in there tols me about the freezer thing, maybe they were fibbing

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Have lived in Parchment for the past three years..

Never had a problem..

Well worth the money..

Couldn't fault them!...

Does the kitchen come with pans/cutlery/plates/glasses etc?

• Advertisement

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Does the kitchen come with pans/cutlery/plates/glasses etc?

Kitchen is fully furnished and has all items that you mentioned!

I lived in parchment and if I needed anything extra just ask in reception and they'll sort ya out!

Advertisement