Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Accommodation thread *** Queries & Availability

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Do they give you a lot of stupid rules to follow? Somoene in there tols me about the freezer thing, maybe they were fibbing

You get a list of ****e but once the appartment is clean for the inspection and there's nothing broken you'll be grand and no-one will bother ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Is there any chance of still getting a place in one of the student apartments past today, 26th august?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Mousey- wrote: »
    Is there any chance of still getting a place in one of the student apartments past today, 26th august?

I'd say so..

Ring and find out!...

There's usually free rooms during the year like...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatcartoget

I am starting on the 12th and I don't know when I am going to move in yet.
    So, when are ye moving in?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

10th. Get pissed that night and have Sunday to recover for a 9 am microbiology lecture on Monday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lurch1

hi , im just about to start college in CIT and im going to be living in parchment sqaure. I was just wondering whats the craic with friends staying over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BalingMad

Edenhall is much better laugh though, it has a bar n restaurant but that closed in march, but also it has a Chinese and a shop with off lience

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

Im a 4th year student(female) and I'm desperate to find a new quiet place for the year.Current accommodation not working out at all!(I see myself failing the year if I stay!)
    Please please let me know if ANYONE knows ANYTHING about a place near cit with mature/final year students/ professionals with a free room.
    Im a fourth year get me out of here.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 johnsheehy

Call into the Development office and ask for the accommodation list. Its pretty comprehensive and will give you a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Daveaherne

I know of four sound out quite girls living in 41 kenly. someone just moved out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pat9212

how often do the appartments inpected are the random or do they give notice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

pat9212 wrote: »
    how often do the appartments inpected are the random or do they give notice ?

Once a month usually, more if your place is a mess when they inspect. They have to give notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Xion345

Hi,

I am a French CS student and I will come at CIT next September. I will stay at Eden Hall. I would like like to know if there are any restrictions on the internet access at Eden hall ? What speed can we expect (I am also interested in upload speed) ? Are there traffic/usage limitations ?
    Do they provide IPv6 connectivity ?

If internet access is not good at Eden hall, what are the options to have a correct internet access in Cork (mobile broadband ?) ?

Barely fast enough to stream a tv episode, ipv6 no idea. Upload speeds?...forget about seeding/uploading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Ha! Edenhall brodband is the worst of all the student accom around CIT tbh..

Thank you for your replies.
    So I should start looking for a mobile broadband plan if I understand well.

Meteor seems to have a nice 20GB plan for 20€ a month.
    Do you know if they allow any usage (VoIP, Skype, Torrent...) or only allow web/mail ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Xion345 wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies.
    So I should start looking for a mobile broadband plan if I understand well.

Meteor seems to have a nice 20GB plan for 20€ a month.
    Do you know if they allow any usage (VoIP, Skype, Torrent...) or only allow web/mail ?

I don't understand the question I'm afraid, usually you pay a set amount, in this case €20, and you get a set amount of usage, in this case 20GB. When you go over this either one of two things happen, depending on the plan- 1. your internet is cut off until the next month/until you top up again or 2. you are charged for any internet used over that.

As far as I know no ISP directly checks what you're doing and allows or disallows it, so you can do pretty much whatever you want with your internet. However you should be aware that torrents are illegal in Ireland ;)

Thanks for the information. I asked this question because in France, with most mobile broadband contracts, you have an usage allowance (which is much lower than in Ireland, you have no plan with more than 6GB) AND you can't do whatever you want with your internet (VoIP/Skype and torrents are usually blocked, sometimes only browsing the web and checking emails is allowed).

As regards torrents, do you mean that using bittorrent is illegal in Ireland (which seems surprising to me) or that downloading copyrighted material is not allowed ?

Thanks for the information. I asked this question because in France, with most mobile broadband contracts, you have an usage allowance (which is much lower than in Ireland, you have no plan with more than 6GB) AND you can't do whatever you want with your internet (VoIP/Skype and torrents are usually blocked, sometimes only browsing the web and checking emails is allowed).

Skype should work fine, browsing/streaming ditto.
    As regards torrents, do you mean that using bittorrent is illegal in Ireland (which seems surprising to me) or that downloading copyrighted material is not allowed ?

Copyrighted stuff. Don't use open trackers and you should be fine. Considering you'll only be in Ireland for a few months I really wouldn't worry about any consequences of downloading.

There is ways to run torrents via the cit network which is insanely fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Ok so I'm attending CIT this september and looking at student accommodation in the area, such as eden hall, deanshall and parchment square. A big factor for me is internet speeds available in the apartments.

Anyone have any idea of who has the best speeds? If so any idea what speeds can be expected normally?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Deans hall would be the best, if you really need the speed at home you'll need to share a house/apartment. Think parchment was around 50kb/s most of the time, Eden hall is brutal, not sure about deans hall but its better than Parchment, ring their offices maybe.
    In general internet in the student accommodation Deans hall>Parchment>Eden Hall. Deans hall is €300 more than Parchment this year so you'd need to really evaluate if you really "need" fast internet in the house when the college network is great.

thanks for the reply. Ya, I'm going to try use the college network as much as I can. I'd say I'll just tether with my phone then if I dont end up in deans hall :rolleyes:

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    thanks for the reply. Ya, I'm going to try use the college network as much as I can. I'd say I'll just tether with my phone then if I dont end up in deans hall :rolleyes:

What phone you using to tether? I'm thinking of going android just so I can make the best of the unlimited internet on three.

mrmeindl wrote: »
    What phone you using to tether? I'm thinking of going android just so I can make the best of the unlimited internet on three.

I'm using a HTC Desire HD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Also with Deanshall you can pay extra to get faster internet. (up to 7mb I thinK)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Do Parchment really cut off your internet if you use too much?haha

And how much is it for washing/drying your clothes?

Avox wrote: »
    Do Parchment really cut off your internet if you use too much?haha

No, it'll stop working occasionally all by itself anyway.
    Avox wrote: »
    And how much is it for washing/drying your clothes?

I think €3 to wash and €4 to dry, might have been €2 and €3...not too sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eimear_CK

I know it's early days yet, but I'm hoping to attend CSM next year and was wondering if anybody could give me advice as to which accomodation would be best. So far the closest one to the college I could find is Copley Court, so if anyone has stayed there and can tall me about it that would be great. I'm also looking at Carraigbarre, but there's no mention of it on these boards so it'd be great to hear someone's opinion with regard to that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jason maher

hi,iv started college in ringaskiddy and would really appreciate if someone could help me out finding digs in the area,am really stuck here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

There's not much in ringaskiddy apart from the NMCI and the Navy base. I've never really seen any ads with rooms to rent there etc.
    Maybe try move further afield, carrigaline is your best bet and its not to far away. Easy driving distance
    Or you could ask in the Maritime forum, might be someone studying there ATM in the same situation.

Advertisement