Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring a garage from existing house??

Options
  • 30-07-2010 11:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question here.

Whats the easiest and best way to run cable from an existing house down a garden to a garage.

Also what type and size of cable would be needed?

Its for to put 2 double sockets and a light into a block garage.

A friend of mine told me that the cable should be hooked up to the main fuseboard of the house,and then a small fuse board in the garage aswell.

Someone else told me that just get it wired to the nearest socket (kitchen).

Distance from house fuse board to garage would be around 30 meters

So whats the way to do it??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Listen to your first friend, not your second. Use SWA 4sq, you can clip it to the along side wall.

For the mini board in the shed:
    shed_board.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there's a ton of previous questions on this

3*6 or 3*10 swa

mcb at house

isolating switch,socket rcbo and lighting mcb in garage

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Diajocon

Can I ask, how much should a job like this cost? (Munster)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Diajocon wrote: »
    Can I ask, how much should a job like this cost? (Munster)

It can depend, if you are supplying the materials, the distance that your consumer unit is to the back wall, how easy it is to route out... distance to shed etc.....

Can you provide more info

The job is pretty much as outlined in the original post. Looking for an over-ground wiring to an outside shed 25m from house, clipped to wall etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Diajocon wrote: »
    The job is pretty much as outlined in the original post. Looking for an over-ground wiring to an outside shed 25m from house, clipped to wall etc.

Are you providing materials? Where is the consumer unit in relation to the back of the house, how easy is it to get cable from outside to the cu etc....

Are you providing materials? Where is the consumer unit in relation to the back of the house, how easy is it to get cable from outside to the cu etc....

Not providing materiels. Consumer unit is on side of house 25M from shed, easily accessible from outside I would think. House is 6yrs old timber frame. Gap between the house and wall leading to shed is 1M, same gap between shed and wall.

Advertisement