Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend lens for landscapes

• 30-07-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I use a Canon 50D and would like to try more landscape work. Just wondering what recommendations or best lens to use for landscape photography.

I have been looking at a good few suggestions online

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM (could this be used for both landscape & portrait)

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM

Of course am open to suggestions regarding Sigma etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

landscape often implies a good wide angle. a 24mm lens is the equivalent of 38.4mm on 35mm kit, which is barely wide angle, so i wouldn't really consider that a good wide landscape lens. i'm not too familiar with canon lenses, but i know there are a few sigmas and tokinas in the 10mm to 24mm range (and €400 to €600 range); would that be within the budget you'd considered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

My budget would be open to €600 - but could go higher so if I am spending that kind of money would like to get the proper lens I can. Thanks magic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

17-40 l is a super lens for landscapes. Great iq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

If you don't plan to upgrade to full-frame, I highly recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8. It's not cheap, but it's worth every single penny. It is an EF-S lens, but the glass is L-quality.

Last year I debated whether to upgrade my 30D or buy the 17-55. I went with the lens and the difference in sharpness made way more difference than the camera upgrade would have. I just upgraded to full-frame, and if it worked on the 5Dmkii, I wouldn't buy another lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

If you don't plan to upgrade to full-frame, I highly recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8. It's not cheap, but it's worth every single penny. It is an EF-S lens, but the glass is L-quality.

Last year I debated whether to upgrade my 30D or buy the 17-55. I went with the lens and the difference in sharpness made way more difference than the camera upgrade would have. I just upgraded to full-frame, and if it worked on the 5Dmkii, I wouldn't buy another lens.

thanks for that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A frequent recommendation I see is for wide angles for landscapes. For me personally, I prefer telephotos. Of course there are always exceptions to everything, but I tend to think of wide angles for when I am close to a subject and can't retreat and for telephotos when I am further away. I have even shot landscapes using a 300mm.

Really I don't think you should restrict your thinking so that you only associate particular focal lengths with particular types of subjects. I have shot portraits from 35 to 180mm and landscapes from 21 to 300mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

The canon 17 40 L is a great lens for landscapes. Youll get one for less than 600 if you look around. I got one off of e bay from Austria it turned out, for 380 euros.
    I know I was really really lucky to get it that cheap, It hardly ever comes off of my 400d and Ill be able to use it for wider again landscape work whenever I upgrade to full frame. Heard nothing but good things though about the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

+1 to that. I have it on a Canon Eos 40D. Picked it up 2nd-hand on DoneDeal.ie for 630 euro. Here's a few landscape shots from a recent visit to Scotland with it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23296461@N04/

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

The sigma 10-20 is a good wide angle landscape lens. However the f4 l 24-105 is a great lens and will suit many jobs. If it isn't quite wide enough you could just take 2 frames and stitch them. I have both the sigma and canon, and the Canon is used much more....

Sigma is about 4-500 and the Canon about 800 (all 2nd hand)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Canon 17-40L.
    Especially if u vere make the upgrade to FF,which u will do!
    Also it's better built than the 15-55efs lens. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

I think Every lens is a Landscape lens, but for a wideangle recommendation I use the canon 24-105 (on full frame) and think it is magnificent, and the long range means I don't change lenses as often so less dirt to worry about. For sharpness I always liked Sigma, but my Sigma lenses never focused as well as canon lenses (even non USM ones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

As said above the Canon 17-40L is a superb lens but you can shoot landscapes at a lot of focal lengths. TBH most lenses at f8 look really well even the kit lens

Advertisement