Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a job ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

The jobs advertised for Pennies both Crescent and town are for Xmas temporary staff - found out during the interview - it's not mentioned in either adverts but I double checked with the managerial staff. Bummer...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Smyths bar in the city center seem to always be looking for staff - would be no harm to go in and have a chat with them.

Because they ain't the best place to work for!

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Because they ain't the best place to work for!

Well, there is that about it.....but he'd have a better chance of getting into a better place if he has a job already, might be worth the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

True, true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Gamestop have seasonal jobs going around the country including their store in the Crescent. Looks like they are also looking for a manager.

http://www.gamestopjobs.ie/Vacancies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

heard on radio that debenhams are looking for 600 (i think) temp staff for christmas nationwide.
    Also gamestop was looking for 150 ( i think) temp staff for christmas too (already mentioned)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

The jobs advertised for Pennies both Crescent and town are for Xmas temporary staff - found out during the interview - it's not mentioned in either adverts but I double checked with the managerial staff. Bummer...:(

I just logged in to write about this! I knew it hadn't been mentioned in the ad. Chances of being re-hired after Christmas are pretty slim too :(
    How did you get on? I completely fluffed it I think. The whole being walked through all the corridors and waiting in the canteen for 10 mins just turned me into a bundle of nerves! She caught me of guard with the "This is a something-something behavioural interview" too. Not my finest hour :o

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

A slim chance of being kept on is still a chance of a permanent job. And something for cv if its only for 3 months.
    Best of luck to all those job hunting.

Cocolola wrote: »
    I just logged in to write about this! I knew it hadn't been mentioned in the ad. Chances of being re-hired after Christmas are pretty slim too :(
    How did you get on? I completely fluffed it I think. The whole being walked through all the corridors and waiting in the canteen for 10 mins just turned me into a bundle of nerves! She caught me of guard with the "This is a something-something behavioural interview" too. Not my finest hour :o

I was left waiting in same canteen about twenty minutes, was so warm in there! (I spent the time memorizing the photos of this seasons outfits on the billboard - I was convinced there was going to be a test haha didn't even come up - nice canteen though), manager was lovely to talk to, Cork girl, as she told me.

Ah don't worry about the behaviour questions, I'm an old hand at being asked and asking the questions and I'm sure even if you fluffed them, as long as you were honest and did your best you'll be alright. If she knows this is yr first job then she'll make allowances for that. I wouldn't have gotten away with too much as I'm ten years in retail.:pac:

Here's the trick to knowing you got the gig - if she pointed out the uniforms to you (behind you and to the right on the wall), asked if you have any days you need off, told you the hourly rate and gave a brief description of what would happen on the induction day, then I'm 100% sure you're in there.:cool:
    I was asked and told all these things in the interview.

I was offered a more permanent gig yesterday in another shop so will be taking it instead - although it's less hours and more work but I need a job that lasts longer than Xmas - was fair annoyed that the penneys one turned out to be temporary as I would have preferred to work there but c'est la vie and all that. Good luck to you and I hope you get that great call at the end of the week :) Keep me posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Congrats on the permanent job, whatdoicare. Good to hear these stories! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Careers Fair tomorrow in UL, here's hoping there are some decent Graduate Positions up for grabs.

Congrats on the permanent job, whatdoicare. Good to hear these stories! :)

Thanks Poxyshamrock! I'm delighted!! (also hoping that I'll like the job - seems like it's a tough job but people seem really really nice) Nothing beats that phone call with the job offer!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Anyone know if Penneys are finished their interviews?

I never even got a call back :(

Alpish wrote: »
    Anyone know if Penneys are finished their interviews?

I never even got a call back :(
    If you applied to the one on O'Connell street they haven't even started yet - after the 17th is when they start. The crescent interviews are still going as far as I know, I was promised either a call back or email after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If you applied to the one on O'Connell street they haven't even started yet - after the 17th is when they start. The crescent interviews are still going as far as I know, I was promised either a call back or email after the weekend.

I've it from someone who works there that there's been many interviews already in the town one

I've it from someone who works there that there's been many interviews already in the town one

Says on their own website that closing date for applications is 17th October, so they're probably interviewing up until then....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Yeah, I heard the same. That new people had started work in town last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Full time staff benetton cruises st.

Team leader ann summers cruises st.

Both have sign in window.

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Yeah, I heard the same. That new people had started work in town last week :(

Just got a call there from penneys - the staff are still in the checking references stage - so i'd say they're not quite finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I was left waiting in same canteen about twenty minutes, was so warm in there! (I spent the time memorizing the photos of this seasons outfits on the billboard - I was convinced there was going to be a test haha didn't even come up - nice canteen though), manager was lovely to talk to, Cork girl, as she told me.

Ah don't worry about the behaviour questions, I'm an old hand at being asked and asking the questions and I'm sure even if you fluffed them, as long as you were honest and did your best you'll be alright. If she knows this is yr first job then she'll make allowances for that. I wouldn't have gotten away with too much as I'm ten years in retail.:pac:

Here's the trick to knowing you got the gig - if she pointed out the uniforms to you (behind you and to the right on the wall), asked if you have any days you need off, told you the hourly rate and gave a brief description of what would happen on the induction day, then I'm 100% sure you're in there.:cool:
    I was asked and told all these things in the interview.

I was offered a more permanent gig yesterday in another shop so will be taking it instead - although it's less hours and more work but I need a job that lasts longer than Xmas - was fair annoyed that the penneys one turned out to be temporary as I would have preferred to work there but c'est la vie and all that. Good luck to you and I hope you get that great call at the end of the week :) Keep me posted!

Just got the call there to say I start next Thursday!!!! :D Delighted! And you were right, she went through the uniforms and all that, so good call!

I actually have 5 years in retail myself (not fashion though) and since the last place I worked in closed March 2010, I've been out of work. So to finally be going back, even if it is only 12 hours a week and for 3 months, is fantastic! I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in. I'd love to impress them so much that they might consider me in the future, I'd like to stay there.

And congrats on the permanent job! Great news, I really hope it goes well for you :)

P.S. big thanks to munstergirl for posting about the job in the first place :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dubgal28

Just got a call there from penneys - the staff are still in the checking references stage - so i'd say they're not quite finished yet.

I got a call yesterday too for the one in Mary Street, I have an interview on Tuesday at 3, the girl that called gave me the impression that the part time job I applied for was permanent either way I'll be happy even if it does only last until Christmas. Can anyone give me any tips or hints for going into the interview, I'm a nervous wreck as I have my theory test that day as well :confused::confused:

Also if anyone has been offered a job what are the rates of pay like

dubgal28 wrote: »
    I got a call yesterday too for the one in Mary Street, I have an interview on Tuesday at 3, the girl that called gave me the impression that the part time job I applied for was permanent either way I'll be happy even if it does only last until Christmas. Can anyone give me any tips or hints for going into the interview, I'm a nervous wreck as I have my theory test that day as well :confused::confused:

Also if anyone has been offered a job what are the rates of pay like

Well done COCALOLA! Fantastic news!:)

Good luck on Tuesday dubgal with interview and theory test - all I can say about interview is be honest and try to come across as friendly and willing to take pride in your work. When asked behavioural questions try to think about what positive things you can do in each situation - think CUSTOMER SERVICE when you consider your answer and have something in your mind for when she asks what are your negative points - or what happened to you that you were at fault/unhappy with...always ALWAYS finish your negative with what positive thing you did to remedy the situation. (this particular question always catches people out as noone wants to speak badly of themselves when trying to sell yourself in an interview) I also recall being asked who I considered their main rivals.

Keep eye contact, never look down or at your hands, dress smart - if you have a suit wear it, not a lot of jewellery,a little makeup - nothing over the top, no overwhelming perfume, any tattoos covered up, and hair neat and tidy.

Can't think what she said regards the rate of pay but I remember that it was a good rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dubgal28

Thanks eveyone for your advice and help, I will let you know how i get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Munster Blogger

A good idea is to get the names of the factories in Raheen and Shannon and other Industrial estates. Then go onto their sites as these companies like to advertise jobs directly on their sites. The are some good recruitment agencies around hiring for the factories although the contract they are giving out are short. 3 - 6 months usually.
    Worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Got a PFO from gamestop today, good luck to anyone else that applied...

@Highlydebased Have you previous retail experience?

Alpish wrote: »
    @Highlydebased Have you previous retail experience?

Offering me a job? :D;)

Offering me a job? :D;)

Haha no :D, I was just wondering if you do because most places are focusing on that. I have limited experience so I'm not having much luck getting a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Slightly out of the city, but I saw a sign for 'Part-Time Staff Wanted' at the Centra shop/garage in Patrickswell today.

Think it's apply within, so maybe show up there with your CV?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement