Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vincent Browne on The Last Word (July 30)

• 31-07-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Was anyone listening to this? Absolutely bizarre interview! Anton Savage was standing in for Matt (as ever) and asked Vincent why people were so terrified of him, after which Vincent tore shreds into him! Asking about Anton's connections to FG and Enda Kenny. You could sense that VB resented being interviewed by such an amateur. It was like something from Gift Grub! Anyone else hear it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TheBouldNaoise

Heard the interview and thought it was absolutely disgraceful. Whatever the pundits say about VB as a superb interviewer and a man who gets to the truth, his behaviour today was that of a ignorant pr1c*.

From the start of the interview Browne behaved like a g0bsh1t3. Anton Save was superb in keep his wits about him, and remaining professional throughout.

Browne highlighted and demonstrated the problem with this country - ego, infantilism and total disrespect for other people. Don't know what VB was trying to achieve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I didn't hear it, but Savage is regularly a guest on Browne's show. And Browne always teases him about being an adviser to Enda Kenny, etc. Sounds like he was doing the same here, but perhaps more aggressively if Savage got his back up.

But Browne definitely isn't comfortable being interviewed. I remember Matt having him on a while back and he was quite cantankerous. More so than usual, I mean. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Wonder how different it would have gone if Matt was interviewing him. Why did Vincent agree to do the interview in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TheBouldNaoise

Browne has never impressed me. He is rude and abrasive. I've watched his TV3 programme on many occasions and rarely is one better informed at the end. As a country we need to learn how to interact on an adult basis with each other and have a mature constructive discourse. VB fails miserably on that count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Not at all surprised at Browne's carry on, in every programme he appears on he comes across as obnoxious and rude. George Hook interviewed him on The Last Hook last year and he started ranting and raving at George saying he didn't know what he was talking about and how did he manage to get his own show on Newstalk. :rolleyes: The real question is how did an ignoramus like Browne manage to get his own show on TV3, and maintain it despite insulting his guests on a nightly basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just had a listen... its up here. Its about 20:25 in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭Patser

I thought the interview was hilarious, and followed on pretty much exactly like the 'Gift Grub' clip they played during the interview. Towards the end it seemed that Anton and Vincent were engaged in a battle of wills, where VB was doing his usual bluster to intimidate his guest while Anton was refusing to back down and blustered right back reminding VB he was the guest now and that if any of his guests behaved like he was himself, he'd go mental.

The finish was classic:
    VB: If I answer your question, will you let me speak
    Anton: Will your speech revolve around my question
    VB: No
    Anton: Then No [as an aside to producer] Can we go to an early ad break... Yes?.... Ok, thanks to my Guest Vincent Brown. Now we're going to an early ad break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Haha. Enjoyed that although two people shouting over each other grated eventually.
    You could accuse Savage of being equally evasive when it comes to Kenny. Whenever he is on the TV show he swerves all questions pertaining to Kenny.
    Browne has long had a bee in his bonnet over Kenny and I would dearly love to see him tear strips out of him if he ever had the balls to go on Tonight with VB. He won't and Savage knows that so Browne like the terrier he is attacks the weak point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

I think it was hilarious. They both know eachother very well and I think it was just a big p1ss take. You can ofetn see VB blustering around Dublin with the hair allover the place looking like a cross between Ken Dodd and Doc Brown from Back to the Future!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHplCALmGdZySMJQcsBN8gFSp5ggS9tjFetaTz_oiuD1_UU1w&t=1&usg=__tHdDwRfkfTzYrb_GUGHponoy9PU=

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_f3vpFKcrMCbMbP6QfPRk9gRE4SD7gAj-Grgl6KjSCyk-vs0&t=1&usg=__MDNcVJ7slJOuMlwTsrUI88YqCZY=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I used to like Vincent Browne on his radio show, but even then he always seemed to waste time with guests on facetious, petty and childish questions. He seemed to be more interesting in annoying the guests as opposed to getting answers to relevant questions.

On this, I think Anton Savage tried to out-VB him, with similarly facetious, petty, irrelevant, childish questions designed to annoy the man himself. The questions regarding ..... a) the derogatory remarks Dana made about him, and b) playing the Gift Grub sketch, which is also quite insulting as it mimics his nasal mannerisms, then asking for his opinion on it.... were very provocative and of little relevance for what was meant to be a biographical type piece.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Two idiots thinking they are fooling those who listen to them.

Two right idiots, trying to big themselves up.

Buffoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It was kind of funny for about 30 seconds, then it proceeded to irritate the **** out of me for the next 3 minutes straight. I was just wishing one of them would shut the **** up and stop talking over the other, nothing I hate more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Thought it was a wind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

You didn't know when the gift grub sketch stopped and the real interview started!

Just Bizarre! confused.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Koloman wrote: »
    You didn't know when the gift grub sketch stopped and the real interview started!

Just Bizarre! confused.gif
    It just wasnt very professional . I find A.S a bit glib to be honest .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

VB at his puckish best, but too much of an in-joke for my liking.

Advertisement