Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dermatologist

• 31-07-2010 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a Dermatologist in either Dublin or Mullingar please?

Preferably a Dermatologist who doesn't require a GP referral as my GP is refusing to give me a referral.

Also, roughly, how much should I expect to pay to see a Dermatologist?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Asha

Hi
    In my experience the best dermatologists are ones you need a GP referral for.
    is there any chance of seeing another GP?
    I have gone to one in James' Hospital private clinic who is excellent but failing that Beacon Dermatology in Sandyford have a dermatologist & cosmetic doctors. Don't know if you need a referral though.

HTH:)

Asha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Asha wrote: »
    Hi
    I have gone to one in James' Hospital private clinic who is excellent but failing that Beacon Dermatology in Sandyford have a dermatologist & cosmetic doctors. Don't know if you need a referral though.

Asha
    Hi Asha,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, it would cost me nearly €100 to see another GP, and I only have €100 to live on each week, out of that I have bills + food, so really end up living on €50 euro, sometimes less.

Another GP will not take me on the medical card as I am not registered on their medical card panel, only my usual GP will see me on the medical card. :(

Can you PM me the name of the dermatologist you saw in James' please? I could maybe phone them Tuesday, see if they will see me without a GP referral.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Asha

PM sent

Asha

PM sent

Asha
    Thank you Asha.:)

Anymore recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

The only dermatologist I went to won't see patients without a referral (she's in the Charlemont clinic, and the Beacon I think) but it was 150 for first visit and 100 for subsequent. Not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Cellar_Door

Edit: OP, I've been looking into the Blackrock clinic, but I don't know if they require a GP referral or not.
    lainey316 wrote: »
    The only dermatologist I went to won't see patients without a referral (she's in the Charlemont clinic, and the Beacon I think) but it was 150 for first visit and 100 for subsequent. Not cheap.

I have a really dumb question...

So, the consultation itself is about €150 (or whatever it is), but is there also a large fee on top of that to pay for whatever treatment they give you?

I've never been to a dermatologist and I haven't a clue what to expect.

Edit: OP, I've been looking into the Blackrock clinic, but I don't know if they require a GP referral or not.

I have a really dumb question...

So, the consultation itself is about €150 (or whatever it is), but is there also a large fee on top of that to pay for whatever treatment they give you?

There was a fairly large fee for the prescriptions I got - if there are other treatments prescribed (light therapy etc) then they are on top of the consultation fee as well.

Last visit I was in there a grand total of 4 minutes. Still cost 100 euro. Painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Hi

Asha

second the Beacon Dermatology...they're excellent and I don't think you need a referral

There was a fairly large fee for the prescriptions I got - if there are other treatments prescribed (light therapy etc) then they are on top of the consultation fee as well.

Last visit I was in there a grand total of 4 minutes. Still cost 100 euro. Painful.

How much was your prescription, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a student, pretty much broke, and trying to plan some kind of budget for this.

• Advertisement

How much was your prescription, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a student, pretty much broke, and trying to plan some kind of budget for this.

It was for a specific issue so I don't know how helpful it will be as a price guide. I doubt your issue is anyway similar (if it was you'd have got the referral, trust me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I saw a dermatologist for 8 months or so last year. I got a referral from my GP (€50) to a dermatologist in the Bon Secours in Galway. The first appointment was about €150, and all subsequent visits (one per month) were €95 each. On top of that, the medication I was prescribed was very expensive, but it was capped at €100 (I think) per month as part of the drugs payment scheme. I'm not sure what you need to qualify for the scheme, but I am a student and all I did was fill out a form and got a card in the post. Depending on what type of treatment/prescription you get, you are probably looking at it costing something along these lines. It's not cheap, but for me it was more than worth it.

Hope this helps.

senelra wrote: »
    I saw a dermatologist for 8 months or so last year. I got a referral from my GP (€50) to a dermatologist in the Bon Secours in Galway. The first appointment was about €150, and all subsequent visits (one per month) were €95 each. On top of that, the medication I was prescribed was very expensive, but it was capped at €100 (I think) per month as part of the drugs payment scheme. I'm not sure what you need to qualify for the scheme, but I am a student and all I did was fill out a form and got a card in the post. Depending on what type of treatment/prescription you get, you are probably looking at it costing something along these lines. It's not cheap, but for me it was more than worth it.

Hope this helps.

50 + 150 + 95x8 + 100x8 = €1760.
    Did I get that right? Christ, that's a lot of money. :eek:

Follow-up question:

Say I book an appointment with a dermatologist for September 1st, and she prescribes me Drug X. How long do I have to wait - if at all - before starting to use this drug? (whether it be a topical or antibiotic or whatever)?

Follow-up question:

Say I book an appointment with a dermatologist for September 1st, and she prescribes me Drug X. How long do I have to wait - if at all - before starting to use this drug? (whether it be a topical or antibiotic or whatever)?

However long the doctor tells you I guess - generally prescriptions are to be started immediately, I've never experienced any other scenario. How long before you see an effect is a different story - that depends on the condition (whatever it is), whether the prescription suits. If the prescription is a treatment (e.g. light therapy) then it will be whenever you can get an appointment with the therapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

50 + 150 + 95x8 + 100x8 = €1760.
    Did I get that right? Christ, that's a lot of money. :eek:

yep, that sounds about right. :(

However long the doctor tells you I guess - generally prescriptions are to be started immediately, I've never experienced any other scenario. How long before you see an effect is a different story - that depends on the condition (whatever it is), whether the prescription suits. If the prescription is a treatment (e.g. light therapy) then it will be whenever you can get an appointment with the therapist.

Light therapy seems interesting. I just "widipedia'd" it. Anyway, thank you. I have some mild facial reddenning and papules, so I'm not sure if light therapy would be the trick. I suspect I'll be given Finacea or Oracea. Would you know anything about those, regarding how much they cost and when I can start using them?
    senelra wrote: »
    yep, that sounds about right. :(

Brutal. The worst thing is, they're not guaranteed to work. I've heard stories of people who have paid FAR more than a couple of grand, and they ending up reverting to the way they were. Now that would be truly sickening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lee240

Is there anyway you could go to the dubdoc because they would get u an appointment in james hospital to see a dermatologist and they will accept your medical card as well??

If you ring for an appointment just tell them u need a second opinion as your doctor wont give you referral letter!!!!

Its worth a try....

Thanks everyone.

I will make a few calls and see how I get on, I'll make sure to let you all know how it goes.

Update:

I went to my Dr today and showed him my face (which he saw anyway lol) and my shoulders and explained that I have spots on my chest and back as well as face and shoulders, so I am covered in them and he finally gave me a referral letter!:D:)

So I'll phone the Beacon Clinic tomorrow and see if I can get an appt for the end of this month when I'll be in Dublin again, and hopefully now I will finally find out whats causing my skin problems and how I can (try) and prevent any more spots/blemishes.

I am just dreading the cost now lol!:o:pac:

Thanks for the recommendations/info everyone, I appreciate your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Does anyone know what health insurers will cover treatment for rosacea acne in a private clinic? I can't afford it any other way and my doctor would prefer I didn't go public.

Update:

I went to my Dr today and showed him my face (which he saw anyway lol) and my shoulders and explained that I have spots on my chest and back as well as face and shoulders, so I am covered in them and he finally gave me a referral letter!:D:)

So I'll phone the Beacon Clinic tomorrow and see if I can get an appt for the end of this month when I'll be in Dublin again, and hopefully now I will finally find out whats causing my skin problems and how I can (try) and prevent any more spots/blemishes.

best of luck - just bear in mind it took me three months to get an appointment, and that was for a very sore issue, so you might not get it this month.

hope she can sort you out tho!

mood wrote: »
    Does anyone know what health insurers will cover treatment for rosacea acne in a private clinic? I can't afford it any other way and my doctor would prefer I didn't go public.
    My Dr said he doesn't think any private health insurers in Ireland will cover Dermatology, but he wasn't 100% sure.

Have you checked the websites of any private health insurers for information?
    best of luck - just bear in mind it took me three months to get an appointment, and that was for a very sore issue, so you might not get it this month.

hope she can sort you out tho!
    Thank you.

I don't mind waiting three months to be seen. I just thought it'd be handy as I will be in Dublin anyway, but like I said, I don't mind waiting.:)

My Dr said he doesn't think any private health insurers in Ireland will cover Dermatology, but he wasn't 100% sure.

Have you checked the websites of any private health insurers for information?

My doctor seemed to think they do. She just didn't know which ones and I think it depends on the actual condition/problem.

I have only looked at one website so far and they gave very little info. I'll spend a while this week looking them all up and ringing them.

I can PM anyone who wants to know what I find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

I think you can ring up your health insurers and they'll give you a list of doctors and hospitals and clinics that accept private insurance.

hayser wrote: »
    I think you can ring up your health insurers and they'll give you a list of doctors and hospitals and clinics that accept private insurance.

That's good but I need a list of conditions they cover for treatment.

mood wrote: »
    That's good but I need a list of conditions they cover for treatment.

To my very vague recollection, they won't cover 'cosmetic' type conditions - acne, rosacea etc - but I think they cover psoriasis?

To my very vague recollection, they won't cover 'cosmetic' type conditions - acne, rosacea etc - but I think they cover psoriasis?

Which insurer do you refer to when you say 'they'. My doctor seems to think some insurers will cover it!!!

Sorry! At the time it was VHI and Bupa.

Vivas are your best bet I think. But for a pre-existing condition it's less straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Sorry! At the time it was VHI and Bupa.

Vivas are your best bet I think. But for a pre-existing condition it's less straightforward.

Hi Lainey

That's correct. I'm with Vivas and they've covered all the visits I've had to make to Vincents for the last 3 years with psoriaris.

Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CiaraDMcL

Hi
    Did you ever get an appointment for the beacon?? My doctor has referred me as I have problem face acne. Just wondering how you got on? And was it pricey??
    Update:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This thread is from 2010 and the OP has closed their account so wont be able to answer you.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement