Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon flash use survey

• 31-07-2010 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭

So, how do you use your Canon 430/580 flash to photograph people indoors in low-light conditions.

Do you:

1). Use "P" mode and let the camera decide the shutter speed and aperture?

2). Use "TV" to lock in a shutter speed?

3). Use "AV" despite the risk of blurring due to slow shutter speed and ambient light?

4). Use Manual mode to manually set your shutter speed and aperture? If so, what's your default shutter/f-stop combo?

I'm using Manual these days because it drives me crazy when "P" mode insists on using f/2.8. Aperture priority appears to insist on exposing for the background, which results in very slow shutter speeds.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Either manual with the shutter speed set to 250 or 180 or Tv with ditto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Manual all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Erm if shooting a gig I use TV mode at about 200(set from the camera itself)
    Another time I had to shoot outdoors in sunny weather I made the mistake of using AV and all the pictures were wayyyy over exposed!
    I know very little about flash and this thread hopefully I will learn something from it.
    I own the 430EX II btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Usually TV, manual in some situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Usually TV, manual in some situations.
    I feel human now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Manual. between 1/30 & 1/60 shutter, with f/2.8 - f/4.0.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Mostly TV between 1/100 and 1/250s. Manual sometimes. I also like to play with second curtain sync and very low speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Erm if shooting a gig I use TV mode at about 200(set from the camera itself)
    Another time I had to shoot outdoors in sunny weather I made the mistake of using AV and all the pictures were wayyyy over exposed!
    I know very little about flash and this thread hopefully I will learn something from it.
    I own the 430EX II btw.
    Just make your aperture smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I could count on one hand the number of times I've used the flash on the camera because I bought it to be used off camera.
    I usually stick to AV or P when on the camera, but off camera I use manual mode all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Always manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

I leave manual set at F8 1/200 for use with Flash- but there is a custom function on the 5d (3 I think) which defaults the shutter speed to 1/200 in Aperture Priority when the flash is used- one advantage of this is that it works as normal Av if the flash doesn't fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Av/Tv/Manual (1/160th f2.8-f8)

Have a look at some of the links here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138907

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Manual mode, 160th second, F8 , and rear-curtain sync

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Buckz wrote: »
    I leave manual set at F8 1/200 for use with Flash- but there is a custom function on the 5d (3 I think) which defaults the shutter speed to 1/200 in Aperture Priority when the flash is used- one advantage of this is that it works as normal Av if the flash doesn't fire.

I didn't realise the 5D had that option. That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder if it uses the same algorithm P mode uses to detect whether to expose for the background or just fill-flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

A lot of people seem to be using high shutter speeds close to the x-synch speed. For those of you that do, what's the thinking behind that? I always assumed 1/60 or 1/80 was sufficient in dim indoor light due to the flash stopping movement. Obviously that doesn't apply to shooting fill-flash in daylight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I always use manual, adjusting the shutter speed to get in as much ambient light as I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

A lot of people seem to be using high shutter speeds close to the x-synch speed. For those of you that do, what's the thinking behind that? I always assumed 1/60 or 1/80 was sufficient in dim indoor light due to the flash stopping movement. Obviously that doesn't apply to shooting fill-flash in daylight.

I shoot 1/160th-1/200th to dial out any ambient light that is there and to only use the flash as the main light.

Advertisement