Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just installed upc Fibre 15 Anytime

• 31-07-2010 2:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Fibre 15 Anytime
    15mb bb + phone

they used my tv cable connection...and they installed a thing on it for the modem...now bb is working but i lost that tv connection
    so what can i do now? call them again and saying that i have no tv connection?

i totally forgot about to ask about the tv thing...

=======edit========

emmm...
    my bad, i should mention that its all about the TV connection "port"
    WPAC0081.jpg

start at the beginning
    -this house is about 10-15 years old(means that everything
    eg:cable,telephoneline are still using the old type)
    -and i move in 8 years ago
    -and also know that this house never have sky/upc/any other tv box before
    -only have that tv connection port at the wall as everybody have and only recieve 4 irish channel(RTE1,2,TV3,TG4)
    -used 3 mb eircom bb since then
    -last monday order that Fibre 15 Anytime from UPC
    -they came at Friday(30/7) and give me a new installation for this thing
    P0001_310710.jpg
    P0002_310710.jpg
    (*note: this thing is new and i DONT have this install in my house before)
    -now i have no TV connection port to access

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

check the cables going into the digital box/tv maybe it came loose fallow it to the outside of you house

if not you will have to call them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

What's coming up on the screen?
    Lack of signal/not subscribed/blank?

The cables are the most likely problem as said above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

they used my tv cable connection...and they installed a thing on it for the modem...(pic above)

so i just lost that tv connection

They didn't leave a splitter?!
    :rolleyes:
    Idiots.

You're gonna have to call UPC and get them back out!

They didn't leave a splitter?!
    :rolleyes:
    Idiots.

You're gonna have to call UPC and get them back out!
    sorry but my english is not that good
    so if i go and ring them what should i ask for? and how do i explain to them?

• Advertisement

kk887 wrote: »
    sorry but my english is not that good
    so if i go and ring them what should i ask for? and how do i explain to them?

Just to confirm.
    The cable coming from the UPC box goes straight into your modem.
    There's no splitter with two cables coming off of it?

If this is the case, call UPC and say that you were just installed and that the technicians have disconnected your tv cable and put it onto your modem leaving you with no splitter.

If there is a splitter, then one cable should go to the modem, and a second to the tv box.

Edit: Just thought of something.
    Are you paying UPC for TV?
    If not then the UPC technicians wouldn't leave a splitter as you're not paying for the tv service so they won't support it.

Edit: Just thought of something.
    Are you paying UPC for TV?
    If not then the UPC technicians wouldn't leave a splitter as you're not paying for the tv service so they won't support it.
    no,i didnt use their TV...
    so theres nothing i can do, right?
    thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no,i didnt use their TV...
    so theres nothing i can do, right?
    thanks for the reply
    that port is for UPC only. if you didn't use their TV connection then you didn't lose anything.

if you weren't paying them for TV BUT you WERE using that port for TV then you were technically stealing the TV reception from UPC as analogue TV is a paid for service from them when using that port.

the simple way to check is how many channels were you getting before they put in the broadband?

if you were getting more than the four basic irish channels (i.e. rte1, rte2, tv3 & tg4) then chances are (whether you knew it or not) you were using UPC's TV port without paying for it. did you get more channels than the basic 4 irish channels like Sky 1 and Sky News?

are you in an apartment block? they're quite often wired up for UPC broadband/phone/tv and if you recently moved in then it's possible that UPC didn't get round to disabling the connection yet (they normally have to come into the apartment block to disconnect a cable in a cabinet in the building somewhere to do this) and you just plugged in your TV not knowing this, but when the engineer came out, he saw you were not a TV customer so didn't bother with the splitter since you weren't paying for it anyway.

apologies if you ARE paying for it any i'm wrong, but that's what it sounds like from what you've said so far. :)

if i'm right then you'll have to call them to ask for basic analogue TV and get them back out and put a splitter on it.

of course, if you're already paying for TV off them you can probably get a splitter in Maplins and do it yourself which would most likely be quicker and more convenient, but if you're NOT paying UPC for analogue TV then it would still technically be theft of service and it's not something anyone here would be able to help you with as we need to keep everything on the forum 100% legal. :)

start at the beginning
    -this house is about 10-15 years old
    -this house never have sky before
    -only have that 4 irish channel(RTE1,2,TV3,TG4) for the past years
    -they came at Friday and install this thing(pic at above)
    -now i have no TV connection to access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

call them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

If it OP has never paid UPC/NTL for a tv service (as it seems they only had the 4 Irish stations) then they can't call UPC to fix it.

A set top tv aerial is needed to pick up the stations again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If it OP has never paid UPC/NTL for a tv service (as it seems they only had the 4 Irish stations) then they can't call UPC to fix it.

In my house I used the port in the wall to connect to the aerial on the roof. It was plugged into the TV when they came in. They just disconnected the cable and took over the port. I didn't notice until they'd gone. I never did anything about it as it was just RTE I'm missing as I've FTA satellite.

It's not great service. It's no big deal for the guy to advise customers that they're going to disconnect the roof aerial. I thought it was a bit cheeky that they just plugged it out and put their box on and then went off.

In my case I don't really care but be aware of it if you're getting broadband from them.

righto, i guess i misunderstood how you had it set up.

my neighbour got a loft conversion and wanted upc digital up there and rather than run a cable up from there, they just cut the old sky satellite cable from the dish on the roof and used that.

were they wearing 10 gallon hats and riding horses? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Is the OP in Cork City?
    If so, that would explain why they only ever had rte1, rte2, tv3 and tg4 from the cable socket.

Cork City has a digital-only cable network and there are only 4 analogue channels carried on it.

It's not the same as UPC cable in other areas of Ireland and it's the first UPC cable network to have gone 100% digital.
    Even before it went digital, the cork cable tv systen carried about 30 channels in analogue but these were scrambled (encrypted) other than the 4 terrestrial services and occasionally some other channels eg the chorus info channel.

There hasn't been analogue unencrypted service in Cork since the mid 80s

If the OP wants tv he/she will have to subscribe to a basic UPC digital pack as analogue tv is not sold on the cork network at all anymore. Analogue services shut down about 2 years ago.

Solair wrote: »
    Is the OP in Cork City?

If so, that would explain why they only ever had rte1, rte2, tv3 and tg4 from the cable socket.

Cork City has a digital-only cable network and there are only 4 analogue channels carried on it.

It's not the same as UPC cable in other areas of Ireland and it's the first UPC cable network to have gone 100% digital.

Even before it went digital, the cork cable tv systen carried about 30 channels in analogue but these were scrambled (encrypted) other than the 4 terrestrial services and occasionally some other channels eg the chorus info channel.

There hasn't been analogue unencrypted service in Cork since the mid 80s

If the OP wants tv he/she will have to subscribe to a basic UPC digital pack as analogue tv is not sold on the cork network at all anymore. Analogue services shut down about 2 years ago.

yep, i live near the cork city...5 mins of driving to the cork city center

so theres really nothing i can do even i ring to them?

this is &*^^*& they never mention that i have to give up that tv connection to use their services

my father siad if they are not going to give back the TV connection then I need to go and cancel that fibre 15 anytime from upc:(

he said they cant just took it away without asking/telling before we order it and force us to pay extra for getting back the TV connection.

but i just order it last week so it seems like i have to pay some hundreds euro for canceling:mad:
    da mn i dont want to go back with the eircom

how long have you had it installed now?

before they were called UPC in Ireland, they were NTL & Chorus (2 separate companies) and AFAIK, they had a 7 day 'cooling off' period if you were really unhappy with the service in which you could cancel everything without being charged.

it might be worth looking into UPC's T&C's to see if this still applies.

I don't mean to be rude but, the situation is basically as follows:

UPC never had any contractual obligation to provide TV service to your house. You were just accidentally plugged into their cable network and picking up 4 free-to-air channels from a disconnected cable line.

They could discontinue this service at any time as it's not part of their retail package i.e. it's just there for legacy reasons. Or, they could have physically unplugged your premises from their network as there was no active cable subscription there.

I would certainly not recommend using an old UPC line as your sole source of TV viewing if you don't intend to subscribe to them for TV service.

In fact, I am not even sure if UPC provide splitters in Cork for broadband as there is officially no analogue reception at all. Those 4 channels are provided as a 'back up service' in case that your set-top box fails so that you can continue to receive some sort of TV. They're not there for any other purpose and may even be discontinued!

Also, I really wouldn't get too worried about it either. If you're in Cork City you will be able to receive RTE, TV3 and TG4 in very good quality UHF PAL without anything other than a cheap antenna on top of your TV. The quality of reception direct from the transmitters is FAR better than what UPC's feeding as an analogue signal down the Cork cable network.

The UPC analogue feed is sourced from their own digital service and it's basically 4:3 in some kind of weird resolution and does not support NICAM stereo or teletext!

i.e. they're basically just providing the lowest quality, least bandwidth hungry analogue signal, possible.

Also, if you have a TV capable of tuning to Digital Terrestrial TV (MPEG4) you will get the whole lot in digital straight from RTE's network.

If you ring UPC, they might be able to do something as you are now an official customer of theirs. Although, I wouldn't hold my breath!

As for discontinuing their broadband service - It's pretty much the best on the market at the moment. Personally, I'd just get a cheap TV aerial rather than dumping the broadband.

Also, if you disconnect from UPC's broadband, there is absolutely no guarantee that they will leave the cable line active i.e. the installers might just pull the plug out at the cable tap or the service could be disconnected / discontinued at some time in the future.

You should look at TV options like FreeSat which could give you a huge line up of TV, completely legitimately, without any need for a cable or satellite subscription.

I'd say have a look at the digital terrestrial / satellite forums on boards.ie for more info. They're a great resource!

Something like this : http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9007925/Trail/searchtext%3EUHF.htm will get you a decent quality reception in Cork City for RTE1,2,TV3 and TG4 and quite possibly RTE's digital terrestrial television service IF you have a compatible television or a MPEG4 box.

Full range of aerials : http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=AERIAL

vibe666 wrote: »
    how long have you had it installed now?
    3 days ago

Solair wrote: »
    --skip--

emmm...
    my bad, i should mention that its all about the TV connection "port"
    WPAC0081.jpg

start at the beginning
    -this house is about 10-15 years old(means that everything
    eg:cable,telephoneline are still using the old type)
    -and also know that this house never have sky/upc/any other tv box before
    -only have that tv connection port at the wall as everybody have and only recieve 4 irish channel(RTE1,2,TV3,TG4)
    -they came at Friday(30/7) and give me a new installation for this thing(pic at the first page)
    -now i have no TV connection port to access

Your "TV connection port" was an old Cork Multichannel Cable socket without an active subscription. This would carry 4 analogue unencrypted channels : RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4.

Some of the old Cork Multichannel connections had an isolator box where the cable entered the house and then used a standard cheap F-connector socket on the wall. UPC now use a combined splitter-socket which is the one that you have pictured above.

There is no obligation at all on the cable company to provide you with any TV service through this if you are not subscribed to their TV services.

It is a commercial service, basically you still had a feed of those 4 channels because they hadn't disconnected the line to your house at the cable tap out on the street. They often don't bother, but there's no guarantee that they would have left that line live in the long term.

All UPC did was replace the old Cork Multichannel cable socket with a new UPC branded version which includes an isolator (to protect your equipment from any shocks etc on the cable system).

The broadband modem's signals will interfere with cable TV signals without a splitter device fitted. If you connect your TV directly to that socket and unplug the modem, it should work.

(You will need an F-connector to standard antenna connector cable, these are available in any hardware store / cable TV/sat shop e.g. try the guys opposite the bus station)

Your best option is to get a TV aerial (antenna) as described in the post above.

There's very little point in getting angry with UPC as they never provided you with a cable TV service in the first place, you were just 'accidentally' plugged into their not-yet-disconnected cable TV line.

RTE1, 2, TV3 and TG4 are available on-air with a simple UHF antenna that you can pick up for less than €20 at Argos or plenty of other retailers around.

Give them a ring and see if they will post you out a splitter. It's possible that they might!

However, as I say, don't hold your breath as they don't officially provide you with any TV services.

Btw, if you are on Twitter they kinda do tech support quite well through there : you can get them @weareUPC

thanks solair, i know what you mean now:)

• Advertisement

Good luck with it!

As I was saying, there are some excellent *FREE* and completely legal television reception options.

Check out the boards forums : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40 for advice !

There are over 140 free-to-air English-speaking channels available via satellite, including all of the BBC/ITV and Channel 4 UK terrestrial digital services, Sky News etc etc. Meanwhile, RTE, TV3, TG4 etc are available free-to-air in digital from an antenna. You can even get a box that combines the satellite and terrestrial digital tv into a single TV guide system.

Heaps of European free-to-air stuff too if you're not an English speaker.

Quite a lot of HD content too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

start at the beginning
    -this house is about 10-15 years old
    -this house never have sky before
    -only have that 4 irish channel(RTE1,2,TV3,TG4) for the past years
    -they came at Friday and install this thing(pic at above)
    -now i have no TV connection to access

If those TV channels were coming from someplace NOT UPC - such as a roof aerial - then call them and tell them they have disconnected your aerial and you want them to make it good again.

If the socket you connected your TV to was supplied by UPC then they have the right to interfere with it.

It is not clear, but it seems from your description that you were receiving your TV from a roof aerial.
    If that is true then get them out to fix it ..... immediately!

Advertisement