Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network

Options
  • 31-07-2010 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I had this network setup when I had a satelite/ ISDN broadband connection, now I finally have proper line based BB from eircom.

So I have wireless router.....

A couple of homeplugs for the network around the house and a wireless router plugged into each plug

Previously one of the PCs shared its connection with the rest, via the plugs/wireless routers.

Do I now just plug an network cable from the eircom router into the homeplug and everything should work or are there configurations to be changed....

HELP !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I had this network setup when I had a satelite/ ISDN broadband connection, now I finally have proper line based BB from eircom.

So I have wireless router.....

A couple of homeplugs for the network around the house and a wireless router plugged into each plug

Previously one of the PCs shared its connection with the rest, via the plugs/wireless routers.

Do I now just plug an network cable from the eircom router into the homeplug and everything should work or are there configurations to be changed....

HELP !!

assuming your existing router is not dsl capable and that it is a cable (RJ45) type router the easiest solution is to connect a cable from the existing router wan port to one of the ports on the eircom adsl router and configure the eircom one to bridge to the existing one.. if you tell us the make / model of existing router it may help also ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

corkcomp wrote: »
    assuming your existing router is not dsl capable and that it is a cable (RJ45) type router the easiest solution is to connect a cable from the existing router wan port to one of the ports on the eircom adsl router and configure the eircom one to bridge to the existing one.. if you tell us the make / model of existing router it may help also ..

That would work fairly well however there's more than one router...

My suggestion would be to set the netopia as normal with wifi and wired lan plugged into the existing network, and switch off NAT on all the other wifi routers - just make then access points

Advertisement