Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Banter (Punters' Terms Explained)

• 31-07-2010 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a topic like this...

Betting terms explained sort of thread. i.e

Nap - A tipster's top tip of the day. What they think will be a sure winner.

Exacta - Better must pick the horses who will finish first and second. Must be in the correct order.

Trifecta - Better must pick the horses who will finish first, second and third. Must be in the correct order.

Superfecta - Better must pick the horses who will finish first,second,third and fourth. Must be in the correct order.

Disclaimer: I'm not the best gambler so this could possibly be wrong :rolleyes:
    Post any that you don't see. Please use the 'Search this Thread' before posting or asking for something to be explained.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

NB - Next surest winner from the NAP from a punters view.

Think that's correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

our Next Best is easier to remember :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Loser Something I see all too often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Seems to be an American site but could be useful

http://www.ildado.com/horse_racing_glossary.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the jolly - the favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

The Field - Everyone except the favourite

• Moderators Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Clemon wrote: »
    The Field - Everyone except the favourite

No, the field is every horse in the race.

The favourite is 9/4 for example, they'll say '9/4 The Field'.

Although in certain betting they go the favourite vs the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

In the case of bets made at a price on the day of the race before it has been officially notified that a horse has been withdrawn before coming under Starter’s Orders or has been declared “not to have started”, the liability of a layer against any horse remaining in the race, win or place, will be reduced in accordance with the following scale depending on the odds current against the withdrawn horse at the time of such notification:

If the current odds are:|

3/10 or longer:| by €0.75 in the €
    2/5 to 1/3:| by €0.70 in the €
    8/15 to 4/9:| by €0.65 in the €
    8/13 to 4/7:| by €0.60 in the €
    4/5 to 4/6:| by €0.55 in the €
    20/21 to 5/6:| by €0.50 in the €
    Evens to 6/5:| by €0.45 in the €
    5/4 to 6/4:| by €0.40 in the €
    13/8 to 7/4:| by €0.35 in the €
    15/8 to 9/4:| by €0.30 in the €
    5/2 to 3/1:| by €0.25 in the €
    10/3 to 4/1:| by €0.20 in the €
    9/2 to 11/2:| by €0.15 in the €
    6/1 to 9/1:| by €0.10 in the €
    10/1 to 14/1:| by €0.05 in the €
    Over 14/1:| No deductions made.

In the case of two or more horses being withdrawn before coming under Starter’s orders, the total deductions shall not exceed €0.75 in the €.

In the case of withdrawals in reformed markets, the total deduction over the two or more horses (i.e. on in the original and one in the reformed market) will be calculated on the prices applicable in the original market.

http://www.tattersallscommittee.co.uk/Rules%20on%20Betting%20Consultation%20Document%20Final.pdf

There seems to be a misunderstanding with HR fans/punters about what "giving" and "getting" weight means...

Giving weight:

You have more weight than the horse your "giving" to. It means giving weight allowance away.

Getting weight is the opposite obv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Nice one there Nulty on the deductions.
    Just in relation to one the OP made about the Exacta having to be in the correct order.
    Reverse Exactais picking two horses and if they both come in the front two,you win. I.e Say Kauto Star and Denman. a 5 euro reverse exacta will cost 10 euro
    You are betting on:
    1.Kauto Star 2nd,Denman and
    1st Denman 2nd Kauto.
    Two bets in essence so that's why it's double the stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Each way anyone? In both dogs and horses please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

BOHtox wrote: »
    Each way anyone? In both dogs and horses please

EW is where you're backing the dog/horse to win and also place. So €2 e/w means a total bet of €4, €2 on it to win and €2 on it to place.

The place in horses is usually the top 3. Not sure on greyhounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

EW is where you're backing the dog/horse to win and also place. So €2 e/w means a total bet of €4, €2 on it to win and €2 on it to place.

I see. How does it affect the odds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭seathestar

E/W in greyhounds is generally 2 places, 1st and 2nd.
    BOHtox wrote: »
    I see. How does it affect the odds?

Depending on the race conditions e.g if its a handicap, number of runners etc or bookies offers e/w terms are generally either 1/4 or 1/5 of the odds quoted.

E.G If a horse is 8/1, it gets placed and the race is e/w 1/4 odds. To work out your return you need to get a quarter of 8/1 which will give you your place odds which in this case would be 2/1 so if you had a euro e/w you would get a return of €3.

If the race was 1/5th of the odds you would get a fifth of the 8/1 to get your place odds.

Ascot
    Carlisle
    Exeter
    Folkestone
    Hereford
    Huntingdon
    Kempton
    Leicester
    Ludlow
    Market Rasen
    Musselburgh
    Perth
    Sandown
    Taunton
    Towcester
    Wincanton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

ScareGilly wrote: »

Exacta - Better must pick the horses who will finish first and second. Must be in the correct order.

Trifecta - Better must pick the horses who will finish first, second and third. Must be in the correct order.

Superfecta - Better must pick the horses who will finish first,second,third and fourth. Must be in the correct order.

Has anyone here ever won on a Superfecta? Almost impossible I would say.

Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Si1965

Hi
    New to betting on the horses and wanted to know what it means when a horse is described as "unexposed"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Si1965 wrote: »
    Hi
    New to betting on the horses and wanted to know what it means when a horse is described as "unexposed"?

it means he still has his trousers on:D
    seriously it generally means he/she has still improvement to come or hasn't been handicapped too much in a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Si1965

it means he still has his trousers on:D
    seriously it generally means he/she has still improvement to come or hasn't been handicapped too much in a race.

So it is pretty much an opinion of the writer - not necessarily based on stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Si1965 wrote: »
    So it is pretty much an opinion of the writer - not necessarily based on stats?

Well not necessarily, when you follow racing you generally know when a horse is unexposed,just look back at his/her last few runs.

??

Advertisement