Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 How's it been for You ?

Options
  • 31-07-2010 5:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭

Its been a real mixed bag this year gaming wise.For Every Mass Effect 2 or Heavy Rain there was a missed opertunity like Crackdown 2, Alan Wake or Modnation Racers.A lot of games failed to produce the Great promise they had shown.I bought Super Street Fighter IV for €30 & not even bothered playing it anymore.Red Dead was great while it lasted as was GOW III but too many games were damp squibs.E3 just showed that the industry is lacking fresh ideas.3D(I like the 3DS but on a PS3 or 360 no thanks),5 year old Motion Control & sequels by the Bucketload.I feel upcoming games could be a mixed bag also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Great year so far.

Loved Mass Effect 2, Red Dead, Alan Wake and Limbo. GOW 3 was also nice for the short amount of time I spent with it. Did not like Crackdown 2 or Heavy Rain all that much.

GT 5 in Nov, I'll believe it when I see it, but still something to look forward to in the tail end of the year.

Next year looks great too. The Last Guardian, hopefully and Gears 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Great year so far, Bayonetta and Darksiders were both pleasant surprises and Crackdown 2 was great fun while it lasted.
    I think the only real disappointment for me so far has been Blur, but that's mostly due to my live sub running out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mainstream games with a few excepts have been pretty damn good this year with a huge glut of quality titles at the start of the year. There are a few that didn't live up to the hype like Alan Wake and Crackdown 2. PS3 has also come into it's own finally with some great exclusives. However for niche games this year has been absolutely fantastic. Bayonetta, Sin and Punishment 2, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Dragon Quest IX, etc. and I'm sure there's plenty to come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Early in January I was already delighted with 2010. Mainly because the best game of the last 12 months - the brilliant, inspired, uber win that is Bayonetta - showed up like 10 days into the year. But aside from that, there has been lots of fantastic games:

Mass Effect 2 - A western RPG that got most of the things wrong with WRPGs totally right. A fantastic sci-fi game.

Bioshock 2 - not as good as the first, but a welcome return to Rapture. Definitely worth putting a few more hours into Andrew Ryan's failed utopia.

Super Street Fighter IV - SFIV, but better.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - a superior sequel to one of gaming's most imaginative, transcendent games. Nintendo done good.

Dragon Quest IX - the most consistently appealing JRPG series returns with a quietly innovative sequel. Engrossing.

Limbo - the first great Xbox Live exclusive in a while. Has the same surprise appeal as Braid. Plenty of other fun downloadables too, like Death Spank, Afterburner Climax etc...

Alan Wake - sometimes repetitive, but a fantastic atmosphere (totally borrowed from other media, but still effective) and loads of interesting ideas. Definitely think a sequel could be something really special.

Yakuza 3 - the best game about Japan. Weird but addicting.

Red Dead Redemption - Sergio Leone-lite on occasion, but the Western setting definitely suits the GTA formula.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - a flawed but fantastic return to form for Kojima. Too many red weak points, but otherwise pure Metal Gear.

So yeah, definitely a good year. And LittleBigPlanet, Fable, Rock Band games to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Terrible - I've been studying for the leaving cert and therefore decided not to buy any games after Christmas last year....

Now I don't have a job so I can't afford any games so I'm playing FIFA an COD4 and turning to my old PC games to pass the time and hope that I win the prize bonds soon so I can afford at least one new game :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great so far,masseffect 2,red dead redemption,ff13,just cause 2,starcraft 2 to name but a few.Fallout new vegas in october and mafia 2 this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

I think this year this has being some great games. Some of my favourites are Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, MGS Peace Walker. Although on multiplayer aspect I think it has being a bad year, No games really grabbed my attention MP wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Great

Mass Effect 2
    Starcraft 2 - loving it !
    Red Dead
    Fifa WC was a huge improvement in terms of gameplay
    L4D2 + TF2 keep on getting updated with new stuff :)
    Fallout later this year
    MOH coming out soon, already bought it ages ago
    was BF:BC2 this year ?

Advertisement