Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You get what you pay for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Remington and Browning American companies?????
    cutting a few corners maybe to save a few quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It was shown afterwards to have been caused by firing a gun with a barrel full of rain-water.

NOT stupid, just careless and/or/unthinking.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    It was shown afterwards to have been caused by firing a gun with a barrel full of rain-water.

NOT stupid, just careless and/or/unthinking.

tac

I fell once and stuffed ~1/2 of clay in the end of my .223 barrel.
    Had i not noticed the clay I could have fired the rifle and destroyed it.

I have seen one rifle in the flesh that was bulged at the end as a result of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

endasmail wrote: »
    Remington and Browning American companies?????
    cutting a few corners maybe to save a few quid

Browning ASFIK never has been American ,it was FN/Browning which was Belgian.God knows who owns it now.
    Second problem here is what exactly were the test conditions,with what, and who did it,and why?Very dramatic blowing up "american" guns.But any gun will blow with a barrel obstruction,dont care who makes it.
    So once we have the rest of that video and what conditions,etc,I'd put that down as a VERY dubious bit of information.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

When it's wet, I always tape over the end of the barrel. Electrical tape will do. The pressure before the bullet exits the barrel busts the tape and doesn't interfere with the shot. Saves all this business of blowing up guns needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

^^^^ Wot John above says ^^^

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Browning ASFIK never has been American ,it was FN/Browning which was Belgian.God knows who owns it now.
    Second problem here is what exactly were the test conditions,with what, and who did it,and why?Very dramatic blowing up "american" guns.But any gun will blow with a barrel obstruction,dont care who makes it.
    So once we have the rest of that video and what conditions,etc,I'd put that down as a VERY dubious bit of information.

Browning Arms Company was founded in Utah in 1927. It offers a wide variety of firearms, including shotguns, rifles, pistols, and rimfire firearms. They also offer sport bows.
    The company was founded to market the sporting (non-military) designs of John Browning, the world's most prolific firearms inventor. Nearly all of John Browning's designs have been manufactured by other companies, including Winchester, Colt, Remington, Fabrique Nationale de Herstal of Belgium, and Miroku. Browning is currently a fully-owned subsidiary of Fabrique Nationale de Herstal.
    Browning Arms Company is best known for the Browning BPS shotgun, the A-Bolt rifle, X-Bolt rifle, the Auto-5 semi-automatic shotgun, the BAR semi-automatic rifle, and the Hi-Power 9mm pistol. Browning also manufactures a set of trap shotguns in the Cynergy series.
    Browning also sells a wide variety of non-firearms outdoors products, such as gun safes, knives, shooting accessories and clothing.

tac

Browning Arms Company was founded in Utah in 1927. It offers a wide variety of firearms, including shotguns, rifles, pistols, and rimfire firearms. They also offer sport bows.
    The company was founded to market the sporting (non-military) designs of John Browning, the world's most prolific firearms inventor. Nearly all of John Browning's designs have been manufactured by other companies, including Winchester, Colt, Remington, Fabrique Nationale de Herstal of Belgium, and Miroku. Browning is currently a fully-owned subsidiary of Fabrique Nationale de Herstal.
    Browning Arms Company is best known for the Browning BPS shotgun, the A-Bolt rifle, X-Bolt rifle, the Auto-5 semi-automatic shotgun, the BAR semi-automatic rifle, and the Hi-Power 9mm pistol. Browning also manufactures a set of trap shotguns in the Cynergy series.
    Browning also sells a wide variety of non-firearms outdoors products, such as gun safes, knives, shooting accessories and clothing.

tac
    Yer man brown worked for the military and they "borrowed" his designs and sold them around the world.
    Browning automatic pistol BAP
    BMG Browning machine gun

But my cuz has a browning Fusion made in Belgium; One of those Mod-dern Shotguns:D

Yer man brown worked for the military and they "borrowed" his designs and sold them around the world.
    Browning automatic pistol BAP
    BMG Browning machine gun

But my cuz has a browning Fusion made in Belgium; One of those Mod-dern Shotguns:D

Uh, yes, I knew that. My personal sidearm [and one of my own privately-owned handguns] for over thirty years was a Browning 9mm pistol.

Please note that his designs were NOT borrowed by the military, but paid for in hard currency by companies who MADE firearms for the military -

'Throughout his life, Browning designed weapons for his own company, as well as for Winchester, Colt, Remington, Savage, and Fabrique Nationale de Herstal of Belgium. In 1977, FN acquired the Browning Arms Company which had been established in 1927, the year after Browning's death.'

tac

• Advertisement

Uh, yes, I knew that. My personal sidearm [and one of my own privately-owned handguns] for over thirty years was a Browning 9mm pistol.

Please note that his designs were NOT borrowed by the military, but paid for in hard currency by companies who MADE firearms for the military -

'Throughout his life, Browning designed weapons for his own company, as well as for Winchester, Colt, Remington, Savage, and Fabrique Nationale de Herstal of Belgium. In 1977, FN acquired the Browning Arms Company which had been established in 1927, the year after Browning's death.'

tac

I watch a Doc about him one night, which stated because he did all his designs while on Army time he the Army owned the patent.

it was on the Military channel one night.

However documentaries are often open to intrepretation.

The BAP was the first Pistol I fired.
    I thought, I could get into this pistol shooting :)

Then when I finally got a pistol the then told me only could use it on a range!

Which was no fun as I wanted to practice at home and then entre comps.

Not practice by entering comps.

Today 50%+~ of brownings say made in Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

saying as i see it horse ,without getting into the conspiracy theory
    ya must own a browning or a remmy?

Idiot shooting a .50cal BMG round at 50m against a badly-sited steel target. Fragment of jacket came back and hit him.

In my book it's a self-inflicted injury caused by sheer stupidity.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The Mythbusters did a nice episode where they torture tested firearms in such a fashion.

I doubt that some mud in the barrel would cause the catastrophic failure shown in the videos. However, I would not do it to my shotgun.

I bet these firearms were literally sealed up, perhaps, by welding. Definitely not the old Elmer Fudd, finger in the barrel banana effect.

Has anyone see the HK 416 test, the HK that is tryingto replace the M16? They literally take it out of water and fire. It has been designed to overcome overpressure in such situations.

You can scroll to 6:40, however, I would watch the whole lot The water bit is at about 7:28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

johngalway wrote: »
    When it's wet, I always tape over the end of the barrel. Electrical tape will do. The pressure before the bullet exits the barrel busts the tape and doesn't interfere with the shot. Saves all this business of blowing up guns needlessly.

Or a Condom taped around the Muzzle,works well tooicon7.gif
    Works well in the winter to keep the snow and mud out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Or a Condom taped around the Muzzle,works well tooicon7.gif
    Someone's been watching this:
    thedirtydozen1833319184.jpg

:D

FISMA wrote: »
    The Mythbusters did a nice episode where they torture tested firearms in such a fashion.

I doubt that some mud in the barrel would cause the catastrophic failure shown in the videos. However, I would not do it to my shotgun.

I bet these firearms were literally sealed up, perhaps, by welding. Definitely not the old Elmer Fudd, finger in the barrel banana effect.

Has anyone see the HK 416 test, the HK that is tryingto replace the M16? They literally take it out of water and fire. It has been designed to overcome overpressure in such situations.

You can scroll to 6:40, however, I would watch the whole lot
    The water bit is at about 7:28

You can actually test a firearm through the hardest enviroments on the planet,and pressuretesting to the highest of pressure.But have anyone considered the human factor,the users of the firearm?icon5.gif
    I believe the Norwegian soldiers who tested the new HK416 assault rifle got quite a surprise.icon12.gif

http://www.hk94.com/hk/topic/26570-report-heckler-koch-hk416-rifle-making-soldiers-sick/

Rovi wrote: »
    Someone's been watching this:
    thedirtydozen1833319184.jpg

:D

He he many times,one of the good old classics,but this is something i learned in the Norwegian army,dont know if they have watched it too though.icon10.gif
    Make love not war.icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

That first video from the O/P holds no water (pardon the pun) - No indication of what has been done at the muzzle end, ammunition used, or anything.:confused:

Frankly, while I'm no particular fan of remmys (more of a euro-rifle man myself;):D), this video and the "information" it purports to show is of about as much use as a chocolate teapot and has about the same amount of credibility.

Interesting video all the same - just to watch sh1te blowing up - but that's about it. Wouldn't be basing my purchasing decisions on that or any other unsubstantiated information from youtub or wikipedia.

• Advertisement

dCorbus wrote: »
    That first video from the O/P holds no water (pardon the pun) - No indication of what has been done at the muzzle end, ammunition used, or anything.:confused:

Frankly, while I'm no particular fan of remmys (more of a euro-rifle man myself;):D), this video and the "information" it purports to show is of about as much use as a chocolate teapot and has about the same amount of credibility.

Interesting video all the same - just to watch sh1te blowing up - but that's about it. Wouldn't be basing my purchasing decisions on that or any other unsubstantiated information from youtub or wikipedia.

Couldnt agree more,but it gets you thinking though!!!!!!!!icon5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Gotta love that HK416.
    As the man says, it's great for "civilian gun enthusiasts".....Now, where did i leave my cheque book.......:D:rolleyes::D

:cool:

Gotta love that HK416.
    As the man says, it's great for "civilian gun enthusiasts".....Now, where did i leave my cheque book.......:D:rolleyes::D

Well to be honest after trying the hk416,i think i still prefer the old AG3(norwegian version of the G3),in 7,62x51.A bit heavier but more solid in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Browning Arms Company was founded in Utah
    tac
    Uh Huh! However there wasnt much call for mr Brownings talents or his company in that part of the World as he was near enough a one man band/and company.So he hied off to Winchester,developed the 1893 and 1897 shotguns for them and was screwed on the patents.Plus it is over a century ago.Still like saying Mercedes is totally German.
    It's Daimler /Chrysler,with Chrysler having the bigger say,which shows in Mercs parts dept.Utter cheap crap bought in the lowest bidder country of the 3rd world.:mad:Theres nothing in a brand name anymore.

saying as i see it horse ,without getting into the conspiracy theory
    ya must own a browning or a remmy?
    Both endasmail,A Browning Auto5 FN prewar I inherited from my grandfather.What that gun has shot and done,it should have blown up decades ago,but still shoots like a trooper,eats cruddy ammo that most pumps would choke on .Other two are a Remmy 1100 a hardy beast if there was ever one and a .243 R25[As I am STILL waiting for the liscense!] I cant give you a report on it.As far as I am concerned with product liability laws in the US,and proof marking in Europe of US imported guns before they can be sold to the GP.US guns are as solid as anything made in Europe.

POP movie quiz for yez all...Of the dirty dozen actors.Who is still alive??
    Who was very pro gun and who was very ANTI gun???;)

HK416 ,nice piece.Trouble is;The US isnt likely to change an entire weapons system in the middle of a conflict when there now thousands of people employed supplying the DOD with M16s and parts.
    Hope HK has alot of influence in Congress and the DC cocktail circut to pull this one off.Against such US contenders as Magpul with the JERICHO
    and or ROBARMS.Which are US companies,who do you think will get a deal?:rolleyes:
    Not to mind this isnt really anything "new" in this gas piston system.It is going back to the past.Stoner corrected the M16 fault in the 1960s with the Armalite 180,but no one wanted the system as the M16 was already in production.Be easier to issue new "gas piston" uppers to the army than an entire new rifle.HK will fall there,their upper is only compatible with a HK lower.
    3,500 Euros for one...Why bother??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Gotta love that HK416.

There a great rifle and ive seen 2 in ireland already the only problem with the civilain version for the Euromarket is that the uppers arent interchangable with other manufacturers :( For the money.... it would be about the same to import a gas piston AR from the US that has that capibility
    Well to be honest after trying the hk416,i think i still prefer the old AG3(norwegian version og the G3),in 7,62x51.A bit heavier but more solid in the field.

Thats what the HK 417 is for :P:P:P:P

Ive fired both 416 and 417 and i own a G3... I love the G3 but the 417 is a far superior rifle.

HK416 ,nice piece.Trouble is;The US isnt likely to change an entire weapons system in the middle of a conflict when there now thousands of people employed supplying the DOD with M16s and parts.
    Hope HK has alot of influence in Congress and the DC cocktail circut to pull this one off.Against such US contenders as Magpul with the JERICHO
    and or ROBARMS.Which are US companies,who do you think will get a deal?:rolleyes:
    Not to mind this isnt really anything "new" in this gas piston system.It is going back to the past.Stoner corrected the M16 fault in the 1960s with the Armalite 180,but no one wanted the system as the M16 was already in production.Be easier to issue new "gas piston" uppers to the army than an entire new rifle.HK will fall there,their upper is only compatible with a HK lower.
    3,500 Euros for one...Why bother??

There considering it to replave the SAW :P....

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/07/marine_IAR_070110w/

3500 euro is the euro retail price (and Ive seen them cheaper than that)..... if the 416 was to selected then it would be manufacturered in the US

There a great rifle and ive seen 2 in ireland already the only problem with the civilain version for the Euromarket is that the uppers arent interchangable with other manufacturers :( For the money.... it would be about the same to import a gas piston AR from the US that has that capibility

Thats what the HK 417 is for :P:P:P:P

Ive fired both 416 and 417 and i own a G3... I love the G3 but the 417 is a far superior rifle.

There considering it to replave the SAW :P....

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/07/marine_IAR_070110w/

3500 euro is the euro retail price (and Ive seen them cheaper than that)..... if the 416 was to selected then it would be manufacturered in the US

Hi ghappy

Yeah i have heard the 417 should be pretty good.
    Never gotten the chance to try it yet.But heard good things about it.
    I am a bit old fashioned and keep to the AG3,been in service with the Norwegian defence forces since the 1960s.
    And as a assaultrifle i prefer 20 rounds of 7.62mm to 5.56mm,and as a sniper rifle,the sako trg 42 338 lapua magnum.Hard to beaticon10.gif
    I understand they had a bit of problems with the 416\417 in the beginning.
    I think it was the gunoil or ammo that was bad.

http://www.hk94.com/hk/topic/26570-r...soldiers-sick/

But didnt get the actual cause of it.I think it was the ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Hi ghappy

Yeah i have heard the 417 should be pretty good.
    Never gotten the chance to try it yet.But heard good things about it.
    I am a bit old fashioned and keep to the AG3,been in service with the Norwegian defence forces since the 1960s.
    And as a assaultrifle i prefer 20 rounds of 7.62mm to 5.56mm,and as a sniper rifle,the sako trg 42 338 lapua magnum.Hard to beaticon10.gif
    I understand they had a bit of problems with the 416\417 in the beginning.
    I think it was the gunoil or ammo that was bad.

http://www.hk94.com/hk/topic/26570-r...soldiers-sick/

But didnt get the actual cause of it.I think it was the ammo.

I love that the uppers on the 417 change out with different barrel lengths. Ive seen them Used as SASS with the long barrel and QCB with the short.

Lucky for me ive a friend in norway so I get parts for my G3 that are Kongsberg ( If i remember the name corretly ) stamped.

The 416/417 does have initial teething problems but its to be expected with a rifle system that is being taken to the extreme. I believe that HK are already on the second model of both rifles.

AS for soldiers sickness.... completely down to the ammo. The G36 uses exactly the same system. Perhaps with the hardguard on it just directs in back toward the shooter where the G36 didnt..... wither way.. the direct impedment ARs would possibly have the same problem as a majority of the gas unders into the reciever where the shooter has his/her face beside

At least they got this bot sorted out .....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMH94PuT_I

eeeek !!

I love that the uppers on the 417 change out with different barrel lengths. Ive seen them Used as SASS with the long barrel and QCB with the short.

Lucky for me ive a friend in norway so I get parts for my G3 that are Kongsberg ( If i remember the name corretly ) stamped.

The 416/417 does have initial teething problems but its to be expected with a rifle system that is being taken to the extreme. I believe that HK are already on the second model of both rifles.

AS for soldiers sickness.... completely down to the ammo. The G36 uses exactly the same system. Perhaps with the hardguard on it just directs in back toward the shooter where the G36 didnt..... wither way.. the direct impedment ARs would possibly have the same problem as a majority of the gas unders into the reciever where the shooter has his/her face beside

At least they got this bot sorted out .....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMH94PuT_I

eeeek !!

At least i didnt get sick from the old G3,only selfinflicted off duty by a different kind of ammo called alcoholicon10.gif
    The so called hangovericon8.gif
    And i think they got the thing sorted out now.Not that different from the G3,but never an issue there as i have heard of.
    Have to see if i can get to try it next year going over to Norway.
    Hard to get your hands on military firearms these days,unless you know the right personsicon12.gif
    But would be nice to have tried it though.

Advertisement