Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer wont start after power cut

• 31-07-2010 8:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi power went last night while my desktop was on, came down this morning and all I have is a blue flashing light on the monitor. The pc powers on ok but thats about it, i see nothing on the screen regards post etc. I have disconnect everything except the monitor, pulled the plug from the mains but still the same. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Maybe try resetting your bios

On the motherboard there is a small watch battery. Remove this battery along with the power cable from the power supply. Hold down the power button to fully discharge the system. Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system.

Also you could bench test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Thanks for the suggestions. Panic over :) , after the power cut my KVM switch moved from position 1 to position 2 ..... hence no display ...simple push of a button fixed it .... but not after a few hours of scratcing the head. Thanks again

Its nearly always the simple things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I was caught the other day with a power cut...thought my bb dongle and laptop might have died but no problems.

Would surge protectors be of any help in protecting the system against damage due to power cuts.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

For that you would want a UPS, but they are expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i remember back in the day when 56K modems were standard in desktops, they would absorb a power surge before the motherboard was fried, and you could simply replace the modem or at worst maybe the PCI slot was also fried so you would put the new modem in a different PCI slot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

What is the percentage risk of damage being done due to a power cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 westom

danjo-xx wrote: »
    What is the percentage risk of damage being done due to a power cut?

Power cuts do not damage any electronics. That was even required by international design standards long before PCs even existed.

Any low voltage or power cut that might cause damage is made completely irrelevant by circuits inside electronics. For example, it appears a protective lock-out feature was triggered in the OP's computer. Remove power. Restore power. The lock-out was reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

For that you would want a UPS, but they are expensive.

A UPS won't necessarily protect your equipment (though it can save you from file system corruption in the event of a sudden power outage). A nearby lightning strike here resulted in immediate failure of a bridge rectifier diode in my server power supply - a low-impedance short causing a rush of current that blew the 6A fuse in the UPS. I located the fault, replaced all four diodes as a precaution, put a new fuse in the UPS and the system was back in action. The strike made quite a bang and caused many blown fuses and electronic device failures in the neighbourhood. Granted, this UPS is a very basic and old model (on 3rd replacement battery now) and if it uses MOVs for transient protection (must check), they may be degraded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surge_protector

• Advertisement
Advertisement