Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a licence for a skip?

• 31-07-2010 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I want to hire a skip in Dublin 3 , it will need to be on a road. Do i need any type of licence from the local authorities?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know about permits in Dublin, but you will need reflective warnings of some sort, even if the street is lighted. I wonder will it make a difference if it is a no-parking area? Presumably it would and you might need to make some enquiries with the Corp. in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

Yes.

You need a licence if the skip is going to be 'parked' on the public highway. :(

Also, it the skip is parked on a clearway or yellow lines you might be fined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Unk tantor

OK
    I found the answer from the corpo website:

"You need to buy a permit to put a skip on a public road where parking restrictions apply. This includes:

* Double yellow lines
    * Paid parking zones, e.g. pay-and-display
    * Clearways

You do not need a permit if you want to put a skip on a road with no parking restrictions."

thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smokeyjoe321

just hire the skip and if any body asks act dumb, i hire them all the time just keep the area clean and make it visible to traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Even dumb people can get tickets and fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

just hire the skip and if any body asks act dumb, i hire them all the time just keep the area clean and make it visible to traffic

The skip company can also be fined for placing a skip without the hirer having aa permit from the council. :rolleyes:

Unless of course, you mean those little skip bags you can buy in woodies and the like.. (you dont need a permit for them) :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ya you need a permit but you will also need to apply for planning permission for a temporary structure.you will also need to hire an engineer to do a survey of where you are going to park the skip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 smokeyjoe321

it might be cheaper just to keep what ever rubbish you want to trow out, and give it a lick of paintinstead........ all these permits and skip companies getting fined, just order the skip, fill it and get it collected and after you have all that done you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about in the first place, its only a skip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

ya you need a permit but you will also need to apply for planning permission for a temporary structure.you will also need to hire an engineer to do a survey of where you are going to park the skip.
    I wouldnt say "need" as such your supposed to but we've often hired skips for a day or two and left them on the street where there is permit parking in the city and never had any bother off anyone except for kids setting it on fire once

• Advertisement
Advertisement