Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors Fees

Options
  • 31-07-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

The missus and myself were looking at buying a property for €130-135k and were quoted a cost of €2500 from a solicitor. Is this about right? It seemed quite expensive to me.

What figures should I be looking at and can anyone recommend a solicitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hey Folks,

The missus and myself were looking at buying a property for €130-135k and were quoted a cost of €2500 from a solicitor. Is this about right? It seemed quite expensive to me.

Sounds a little high, but it all depends on what work needs to be done. I bought an apartment and then moved to a house (Ashbourne/Bettystown) and never paid more then €1200.

If its a straight forward purchase I have a friend who I am confident would do it for less then that, but you dont really say much about the purchase. My understanding is usually the most work in a sale by the solicitor is making sure that the person selling the property owns it (I will stand corrected on that). .

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

Hey Folks,

Seems way of the mark, 4yrs ago at peak times I was charged just under 2k... seems to me he is trying to screw you, realistically I think around 1600 would be reasonable, so my advice is go shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Our solicitor is charging 1200 plus vat for looking after our sale

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Drumpot wrote: »
    Sounds a little high, but it all depends on what work needs to be done. I bought an apartment and then moved to a house (Ashbourne/Bettystown) and never paid more then €1200.

If its a straight forward purchase I have a friend who I am confident would do it for less then that, but you dont really say much about the purchase. My understanding is usually the most work in a sale by the solicitor is making sure that the person selling the property owns it (I will stand corrected on that). .

It's an old house, built sometime in the 70s I think. It's really quite rundown and needs lots and LOTS of work to become something anyway decent. I had thought that €2500 was a bit much. Can you pm me some details of your friend.

I'll ring around some other places on Tuesday and see what the going rate is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Depends a lot.

Is the €2,500.00 an all in figure or just the professional fee?

You can expect to pay:
    Professional fee + 21% vat
    Minimum Outlays:
    Land Registry on transfer, mortgage & new folio: 525.00
    Commissioner fees €22-€44 (depending on your lender)
    Searches €70 - €250 (depending on the deeds and location)
    Many solicitors also charge a fee for postages/stationary etc, and the amount varies a lot.

Get a few quotes - with a full breakdown from all, and then decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

It's worth shopping around for quotes - I'm buying an apt at the moment and quotes ranged from 2K + vat to 900 + VAT.

Inc land registry fees and other misc amounts the total I have to pay is €1326.

My solicitor is based in sandyford so PM me if you want the contact details.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

I agree with greengirl31. When I was looking at solicitors fees I was quoted prices from 1000 - 2500 (all inclusive of Professional Fee, VAT @ 21%, Searches, Land Registry fee on Transfer, Land Registry fee on Mortgage, Land Registry folio & filed plan, Commissioner for Oaths and in some instances Postage).

As with everything else shop around and pick the best deal for you but make sure that you dont just decide on a Solicitor for their price. Reputation is key too as you want it to go as smooth as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

€2,500 all in for my recent purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

I bought a house recently at 185k and solicitor charged me 1800. My friend is selling and buying at present and their solicitor is charging them 1600 to do both so I think your quote is quite excessive, shop around is my my advice.

Advertisement