Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmarried fathers rights, custody and visitation.

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

K-9 wrote: »
    That isn't what it's about as I and others have repeatedly pointed out.

Then I am not understanding what you are saying. I just don't see how you can legislate for it other than making schools and hospitals open to litigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

With more and more schools using a text alert system both parents are signed up or can be which saves a lot of hassle as for the big letters re the child, the calendar for the year, reports and notices about parent teacher meeting it would make sense if school were to send two sets when the parents are living apart.

Schools can differ a lot on this, the local primary school sends correspondence addressed to the parent/guardian of [name of child] where as the local secondary school hasn't grasped this yet and still sends correspondence addressed to Mr&Mrs[child surname] which as causes some consternation both
    with parents such as myself and I am not Mrs anyone and in cases where there has been parental death in the family.

The nature of schools being self governing with the board of management/staff setting policy as they see fit it can be hard to cause change to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Then I am not understanding what you are saying. I just don't see how you can legislate for it other than making schools and hospitals open to litigation.

The current situation seems to be, to me anyway, if you inform the school you are a Guardian, they should make every effort to include you eg. parent/teacher meetings. Again, it wouldn't even be an issue in the vast majority of cases, just in cases were one parent is completely ignoring the other and there is little communication.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

They should but that doesn't mean they will unless it is the school's policy or practice to do so.

K-9 wrote: »
    The current situation seems to be, to me anyway, if you inform the school you are a Guardian, they should make every effort to include you eg. parent/teacher meetings. Again, it wouldn't even be an issue in the vast majority of cases, just in cases were one parent is completely ignoring the other and there is little communication.

It also means the non custodial doesnt have to consult the custodial when in his care.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    They should but that doesn't mean they will unless it is the school's policy or practice to do so.

And should it part of legislation where a parent can press charges?

Currently it can't be, school boards of managements and thier patron set the policies for the school. Even where a school is in breach of it's policies it is a civil matter and the parent would have to sue the school.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I cant see what the big deal is about the school sending one set of information to the child's primary residence.

I can when a parent invests heavily in a child's education as my bf does, by following their schedule, making sure they have all of the books they need including exam guides, and attending parent teacher meetings.
    The bf after much effort now gets copies of reports to his address for his children, along with invites to parent teacher meetings rather than relying on his children to supply either of them.He also gets texts when they are absent.

It enhances his chats with his children about their schooling and and difficulties they may be having, and have resulted in him intervening when his children had problems whilst their mother did not.
    But a school should not be open to litigation for that. You want to call the cops because you didnt get a copy of the report card? How do you legislate for 'consulation'.

You include reasonable criteria, such as the right to invitiations to school parent teacher meetings, notifications of events, rights to copies of reports etc, and the right to be informed of accidents.

I'm curious about one thing you posted where you said you were the sole custodial parent, is that due to the other parent being deceased, him not being interested in guardianship/or an interest in your child, or you refusing him access?

Stheno wrote: »
    I can when a parent invests heavily in a child's education as my bf does, by following their schedule, making sure they have all of the books they need including exam guides, and attending parent teacher meetings.
    The bf after much effort now gets copies of reports to his address for his children, along with invites to parent teacher meetings rather than relying on his children to supply either of them.He also gets texts when they are absent.

It enhances his chats with his children about their schooling and and difficulties they may be having, and have resulted in him intervening when his children had problems whilst their mother did not.

You include reasonable criteria, such as the right to invitiations to school parent teacher meetings, notifications of events, rights to copies of reports etc, and the right to be informed of accidents.

I'm curious about one thing you posted where you said you were the sole custodial parent, is that due to the other parent being deceased, him not being interested in guardianship/or an interest in your child, or you refusing him access?

That all sounds fair enough. I dont dispute the justice behind the principal. I dispute how people expect the law to regulate this, particularly family law in a country where it is historically haphazard, dare I say chaotic and cruel, and an unreliable postal system. I would rather the government stay out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭rolly1

That all sounds fair enough. I dont dispute the justice behind the principal. I dispute how people expect the law to regulate this, particularly family law in a country where it is historically haphazard, dare I say chaotic and cruel, and an unreliable postal system. I would rather the government stay out of it.

It's not a big deal for any school to put a second parent/guardian on the mailing list when requested to do so by that parent or indeed organise a second parent-teacher meeting.
    It's of immense benefit to the child to have both parents actively involved in their child's education. Children generally perform better in school when they can see that both parents take an active positive interest in their education. All systems and institutions should recognise and encourage this as far as possible, those that don't should be open to litigation as they are not acting in the best interest of children.
    As can be seen from the equality tribunal case serious absenteeism was taking place with the father's two younger children. The school was refusing to tell him of the problem so that he could have an input in resolving it. How is this non-disclosure of benefit to the children?

Cases like these prove that the principle of consultation in guardianship is a vital element in ensuring the best interest of children are actually looked after. Every child has a mother and father and, as a desirable aim for society, as far as possible every child should have the benefit of both parents to decide their child's best interest. The current law of the land, under guardianship, gives a legal basis to this principle. The abolishment of consultation amongst parent's by this new LRC report/draft bill is an extremely sinister development.

If non-consultation is not serving the best interest of children then the question must be asked who's interest is it actually serving?

• Advertisement

At this point after discussion the parenting mods have decided to close this thread.
    While it has some helpful information in it, it has become more trouble then it's worth so to speak. Posts were having to be moved out of it and it became a place to snipe at posters which is contrary to the ethos of the forum. Some of the issues and the slants they have taken are better suited to humanities and politics.

We will still have fathers in varying situations posting in the forum and we are sure they will find help and support here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement