Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin City Triathlon 29/8/10

• 31-07-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just signed up for my first olympic distance race in DCT. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what the race is like for relative beginners? Just read it's the olympic distance national championships and hoping there's some ordinary folk plodding along with me as well as the elites.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 18 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    55%
    d4r3nseanjodonnellOryxEMPMThe Machinedarraghmcgray oonimpulseTriKayakerrosscollins88 10 votes
    3 stars (average)
    33%
    greenasgrasslocteaukingQueznomadicEl Directorshotgunmcos 6 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    11%
    levitronixX files 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

i did this the year before last and thought it was a well run race (i am not involved in organising it) - on a good course, not the hardest but not the easiest either. there will be a wide range of ability so dont worry about being relatively new to it. the course was a bit short the year i did it but they have tweaked it a bit to bring it up to the full distance.

one of the advantages (esp if you live in dublin) is that you can practice on the course fairly easily and i would recommend that for the cycle - you have to go up the khyber road a few times and that can be quite tiring after a while, there is plenty of downhill as well though to compensate. the roads in the park are closed on the day as well so you can really go for it.

the liffey isnt everyone's cup of tea but I dont find it any worse than any other river swim and it does make sighting very easy and any current you run into will work in you favour heading back down stream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PCarolan

Hi,

Im looking for a transfer of either a Sprint or an Olympic distance entry (preferably Olympic) to the DC as I missed the entry deadline Transfers can only be done up to 14th August so time is running out. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Paul

<this has been passed by the mods>

I forgot to mention that this post and request for a transfer has been cleared by the moderator as it is permitted by the organisers of the Dublin City Triathlon - see Entry page on www.dublincitytriathlon. com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Am seeking a Super Sprint Entry Transfer if someone isn't using theirs?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 owendc

I have a place for the olympic distance Dublin City Triathlon that I am unable to use. If you are interested please email me at owendcummins@hotmail.com to arrange the transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DoYouTri?

I also have an olympic distance entry but cannot take part now if anyone is interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

I also have an olympic distance I can't do. Finishing night shifts that weekend and will be in zombie like state for quite some time. Would like to do sprint distance if anyone wants to swap but otherwise I'd be happy to cut my losses and transfer my place to someone else.

valerie wrote: »
    I also have an olympic distance I can't do. Finishing night shifts that weekend and will be in zombie like state for quite some time. Would like to do sprint distance if anyone wants to swap but otherwise I'd be happy to cut my losses and transfer my place to someone else.

Just reading http://www.dublincitytriathlon.com/?page_id=28
    Swaps are not allowed between “super sprint” and Olympic distance race.
    :(

I've asked owendc about a swap for his entry, if he can't facilitate could I have 1st dibs on your entry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gavalda

Hi I have an entry for Dublin City Triathlon Olympic Race which I can transfer for race entry price. If you want it, please give me an email at ellendublin1@yahoo.com . Note that deadline for receipt of transfers is 14 August.

Hi guys,

I got sorted with an olympic distance entry from Ellen Best of luck to all of you.

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 judithe

Looking for a spirnt place if anyone has one they can't use.

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I have an Olympic entry if anybody is interested..Just PM me. Thanks

Have PM'd valerie, Doyoutri? and 911sc.

Please someone come back to me as I've bought a one day license on the back of a promised entry from someone else.

Connundrum,
    Email sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭X files

2 stars (poor)
    Any tips for swimming at dublin tri ?
    Do you use anti bac lonzengers beforehand ?
    1st nationals so want to finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

3 stars (average)
    X files wrote: »
    Any tips for swimming at dublin tri ?
    Do you use anti bac lonzengers beforehand ?
    1st nationals so want to finish

+1 any precautions necessary from swimming in the liffey?

Nose plugs, ear plugs, butt... ah no :p

I'm mildly concerned about the Liffey swim tbh, but you'd hope that the organisers have scouted it out and see it as being safe enough?! (I hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭X files

2 stars (poor)
    Some of us tried the liffey today. Throat lozengers etc still awful so baack to the chemist for tcp :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭cantswim

Frankly I think that is a porkie - given your posting history - it's clear you have an agenda. I'm not a genius and I've worked it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Dowee

The same debate / discussion arises every year about the water quality in the Liffey for this race. Surely it is subject to the same water quality tests as any other race and must pass same to allow people into the river.

I've done it twice, drank plenty of water both times and had no ill effects.

Don't swim through the reeds and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If there is heavy rain before the race they will call off the swim part as sewage overflows are quite close to the swim section. Members of the boat clubs up there have told me it is quite disgusting if there is a heavy fall and can take a week or two before it is swimable again.

It is safe enough to swim they usually issue a warning about "if you feel ill" get a test by your GP and get shots for Lymes disease.

I done it last year and found it fine. It's not a tough swim so long as you keep away from the edges. I'd recommend going in the middle of the lane, slightly closer to the bank on the first half and then cutting it close to the centre line on the way back. Not always practical but if your slow like me it makes a difference and most people are out of my way, so i can get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭Bambaata

If my memory is correct, two years ago had a shed load of rain in the build up to the race. The river was like a torrent!! Getting upstream was a challenge and they even shortened the swim by 100m or so as a result. I didn't suffer any illness after it and the swim wasn't cancelled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bambaata wrote: »
    If my memory is correct, two years ago had a shed load of rain in the build up to the race. The river was like a torrent!! Getting upstream was a challenge and they even shortened the swim by 100m or so as a result. I didn't suffer any illness after it and the swim wasn't cancelled.

It was just the warning they gave that I was quoting last year. I've never met anyone who has done it and gotten sick, the warning is probably standard for the rating of the river in this section.

That said I have been up at the UCD boat club after a heavy spill and you can see sewage floating down the river, rare at this time of the year and it is unlikely to interfere with the DCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Has anyonr got a mail from them yet with entry details? Getting a little worried now... I am pretty sure I'm signed up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

mloc123 wrote: »
    Has anyonr got a mail from them yet with entry details? Getting a little worried now... I am pretty sure I'm signed up :eek:

Start lists are on the website now www.dublincitytriathlon.com as well as the race briefing so I'd check there first.

in wave 2 myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

3 stars (average)
    I've landed myself in a wave with people I'm normally faster than... did folk modify their swim estimates for a river compared with pool/lake/sea estimates?

(for the life of me I cant remember what I estimated when I signed up :/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

3 stars (average)
    I'm in the last wave of the super sprint.

nomadic wrote: »
    I'm in the last wave of the super sprint.

SS seems to be assigned based on AG

• Advertisement

911sc wrote: »
    I have an Olympic entry if anybody is interested..Just PM me. Thanks
    connundrum wrote: »
    Have PM'd valerie, Doyoutri? and 911sc.
    Please someone come back to me as I've bought a one day license on the back of a promised entry from someone else.
    911sc wrote: »
    Connundrum,
    Email sent.

DCT Transfer completed very smoothly with Connundrum and thanks to DCT organisers. I will have no hesitation at recommending Connumdrum for transfer if needs arise in the future..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

3 stars (average)
    Just read the race briefing; it looks like you rack your bike wherever you want once its in the right wave's section? I presume this works OK in practice and it only sounds like it could get messy?

Usually it's fine, first come first serve....but, regardless of pre-allocation or not, you still get the odd late comer that pushes few bikes to squeeze his because that's where he wants it.

3 stars (average)
    Watch your ankles with these timing chips. There the same ones that cut a lot of people in athlone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

3 stars (average)
    Best of luck tomorrow guys!

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Good luck for the morning people.

All I need to do now is fashon some sort of ankle protection device.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Anyone know what company was doing the timing for this years race.... lookin for splits.
    Thnx

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanjodonnell

4 stars (good)
    Provisional results are up at http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=60

I also just got an sms with my splits, which was nice.

I really enjoyed the day, and it was a fantastically well organized and marshalled event, my hat is off to piranha, Ill be doing it again next year.

Great race. Winner of the sprint surely only did one bike lap? Which puts nomadic first... after the juniors.

3 stars (average)
    Great stuff today. Really windy for the bike and wet for the earlier waves. Nice to meet mloc, bambatta and Mcos. Well done lads, great times. Congrats bambatta on the top 20 finish.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Great race. Winner of the sprint surely only did one bike lap? Which puts nomadic first... after the juniors.
    Yea I got third.

Was that a garmin you were wearing? Any chance of the distances if so. I'm hoping the swim was longer than 600m.

• Advertisement

Great stuff today. Really windy for the bike and wet for the earlier waves. Nice to meet mloc, bambatta and Mcos. Well done lads, great times. Congrats bambatta on the top 20 finish.

Yea I got third.

Was that a garmin you were wearing? Any chance of the distances if so. I'm hoping the swim was longer than 600m.

Garmin + swimming is ****, but I mapped the swim at 700m based on the start point and the turn around based on the garmin

Edit: I hit start when they called 1 minute to go, shouldn't affect the start point which was actually closer to the UCD boat house than is shown... I think

Edit2: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3998433

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Top ten supersprint finish for me with the third fastest bike split and third in age group. Not bad considering I thought my bike was a bit slow.

Not quite nomadics fastest run and second bike. Must tri harder!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    Loved this event today. Even the swim went well. Good course and great atmosphere. Anyone know if the sprint bike distance was shorter than 20k?

3 stars (average)
    Oryx wrote: »
    Loved this event today. Even the swim went well. Good course and great atmosphere. Anyone know if the sprint bike distance was shorter than 20k?
    Yea it was 16km. My bike computer read 16.09 so 16 is about right. It was advertised as 16 aswell.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

4 stars (good)
    Silly me. Thought i read it was 20k somewhere. No wonder it was easy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

3 stars (average)
    What a well run event today, fair play to Piranha their marshal and all who helped today.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Watch your ankles with these timing chips. There the same ones that cut a lot of people in athlone.

ChampionChip Ireland were not at Athlone, it was a Danish timing company who did the event. We were at DCT and it was great event all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭rosscollins88

4 stars (good)
    Yo folks just wondering if anyone has garmined (can you use garmin as a verb now?) the olympic run? Times seem very fast and just wanted to know the accurate distance.

Cheers

I did and measured it at 9.65 i think. ill upload it tomorrow

3 stars (average)
    ChampionChip Ireland were not at Athlone, it was a Danish timing company who did the event. We were at DCT and it was great event all round.
    It was indeed.

Just saying they were the exact same type of chips that cut a lot of people in athlone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement