Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netwits....sorry i meant networks

• 31-07-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Exchange is Inch St. Laurence, which is a satellite of the main exchange at Castletroy. Used to experience severe packet loss at peak times, wasted months trying to deal with Eircom and comreg to reslove this, even to get some compensation for paying for a network connection that didnt work for six months after they let the sub contractors that looked after the core network go.
    Packet loss has been eliminated, to the cost of ping times, forget using SIP, Gaming, Remote Desktop, SSH, even Skype cant deal with this network and that says something!

Just to complete the picture, before December 2009, I had been a customer to Eircom for about 4 years with NO complaints....NONE!!!...I had 20ms ping times to uk server farms even at peak times. I didnt mind paying for this as it WAS extremely reliable.

Graphs are of an average of 10 ping times to www.eircom.net taken every 10 minutes. Note that www.eircom.net is on their own network and is not hosted externally so ping times should be extremely good.

PAST 30 hrs;
    picture.php?albumid=1207&pictureid=6904

PAST Week;
    picture.php?albumid=1207&pictureid=6903

PAST 3 Months;
    picture.php?albumid=1207&pictureid=6905

You can see where towards the end of June how they fixed the packet loss problem with some QOS settings, which is to the detriment of ping times.

I dont think they have a clue what broadband is used for, Im getting the impression that they think once you can get to www.rte.ie then your broadband connection is working. Im also getting the feeling that many of the employees see the writing on the wall for Eircom and they really dont give a sh1t.
    Dont get me wrong, not all of them think like that, Ive been fortunate to talk to a line tech in Limerick whos sick of dealing with the internal apathy in Eircom.
    Remember that when Eircom do hit the fan, they WILL come running to the government (US!) looking for handouts, so not only will WE pay for the most expensive and worst service of broadband, but they will look for more of our tax money.
    Lets not get started on the minister for communications shall we.
    :confused:

So to any of you who think Eircom would be a reliable option as a source of broadband even though they are expensive, do think again and ask others about their experience

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Thankfully I think Ive worked out two possibilities of alternatives to Eircoms rip off version of broadband. Heres the condition of it today:-

picture.php?albumid=1207&pictureid=6914

what an incredible service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mrkielbasa

We are in the same boat still . Although they did appear to fix something on the network for us as we seen a dramatic improvement around 2 weeks ago but after about 4-5 days it took a step backwards again . Looks like its a case of trial and error on their part , which doesn't give me much confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

Xennon, the backhaul out of the DSLAM in Inch St. Laurence exchange was increased from DS3 to STM-1 on Thursday morning. It is no longer a spur off the DSLAM in Castletroy. It goes straight back over SDH to Limerick now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Packet wrote: »
    Xennon, the backhaul out of the DSLAM in Inch St. Laurence exchange was increased from DS3 to STM-1 on Thursday morning. It is no longer a spur off the DSLAM in Castletroy. It goes straight back over SDH to Limerick now.

Woohooo, Xennons backhaul has just gone from 50 mbits for the whole parish to 155mbits for the whole parish. The exchange has anywhere from 1200-1500 lines of which you may take it that 100s are signed up for BB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Packet, thanks for the info, I appreciate it. You have told me more than any of the support team have in the past 6 months. I had noticed that the backhaul trace had changed to B-ras1, and that the ping times are massively improved. To whoever sorted that out, THANK YOU.

However, why the hell someone couldnt have just said, "We know its sh1te, but we will get around to sorting it out eventually. How about we give you a 10er a month off as a gesture". Instead I had to go and learn about copper infrastructures, aDSL, DSLAMS, Radius servers, backhaul, QoS, just so I could try and get a connection I was paying alot of money for.

And as for those 'techs' that persisited with the 'there seems to be a problem with your modem Sir, we could sent out an Engineer....' ugh!

I hope I can get on using it now.

Am still going to put plan B in motion though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement