Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

CORaven wrote: »
    No, the SoS is way too OP and common it is too big of a risk to go CQC now.

Whats CQC ?

Yea that sawnoff needs to be nerfed somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Great, absent mindedly selected the spoiler text and ruined the ending for myself.
    gizmo wrote: »
    Finished the campaign last night, absolutely loved it and definitely my favourite in the series so far.

The change of pace midway through the first Act
    when control switched to Cole
    was a little odd but after things returned to normal it was great. I'm glad they didn't repeat this throughout the campaign too, although if they offer these sections as DLC I'm sure people will start whinging. :o

Loved the little jokes throughout too, Baird's "aaaaaand cue reinforcements" in Act II made me chuckle. :D
    With regards Dom's death, I gotta say it was fantasticly done. While the music and slow-mo sections were great, it was Marcus' face when Anya ran over to him that sealed the deal for me, he really did look utterly devastated, fair play to the animators for that one.

****ing delighted Carmine survived too, loved that addition to the final cutscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Korvanica wrote: »
    Whats CQC ?

Yea that sawnoff needs to be nerfed somewhat.

Close Quarter Combat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Agree with that too, it should never have been brought in. It's all good and well saying if you keep your distance you'll be fine but in KOH etc you're going to be up close to players all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Sawn-off Shotgun actually has a longer gib range than the Gnasher shotgun and is outside of 'melee range', contrary to what the weapon's description states. Lower the range, have everyone start off with only one use if they choose it or make it a weapon pickup on the map.

• Advertisement

kiddums wrote: »
    How long did that take?
    We tried with two and got to 34 on casual. The brumack on 30 really messed us up....Took near 4 hours.

It took us just under 3 hours. We didn't fail too many waves, just the lambent berserker a couple of times because of space issues in overlook.

You really need a team of five well organised guys, talking to each other and sticking to specific weapons and skills to do it comfortably though, especially on the harder settings. For example, i'm the heavy weapons boomshot "hail mary" expert. I'm just good with launchers, noob tubes, etc, so i carry a lancer, gorgon pistol, and boomshot at all times, and my #1 job is keep the big dudes like kantuses and boomers out of the way. Nobody on my team steals my ammo, and everybody just tags the big dudes for me and i come along with a boomshot and f*ck their sh1t up.

If you have a full team communicating and all playing together and using their strengths it makes a big difference, and a good choice of map & base helps a lot too.

By the way, as far as we figured out, the trick with the brumak is stick together as a team, and keep away from him. Come out of your base if you have to, work around the map and mop up all the other enemies in the wave first, and then come back to him last, surround him on all four sides, but don't play close to your team or a volley of rockets will wipe you all out in one go. Just keep your distance, and use cover, make sure you're ready to run to revive squadmates, and just basically hockey him out of it with everything you've got.

Yup, it will end up being nerfed. It's an insta kill camper's dream, and the digger, handy as it is, just isn't good enough to compete with campers using it.

Anyway, that suits me. I love ranged battles with the lancers and pistols, and those weapons are loads of fun in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I think the weapons are fine the way they are. Posted this on Eurogamer earlier about the Sawed-off...
    It can be frustrating to walk around a corned and be killed in 1 shot, but the Gnasher does the same thing essentially. Plus, if it's 2 on 1 against someone with a DBS, they're guaranteed dead. A Gnasher user stands a much better chance. Range on it is pathetic too, if you die by the DBS, you got too close.

Just to elaborate on that point, if you have 2 people with Gnashers, no camper with a Sawed-off stands a chance. The reload time always means you will loose in a battle against a smart team. Always. In the same way that going for a chainsaw execution in a heated battle will get you a kill, but also get you killed immediately afterwards.

Is it really that bad that you have to be a little more careful going around corners, or use smoke grenades more effectively?

To clarify - Coletrain believes both the Lancer and SoS are overpowered... which one is worse in your opinion?

Finally, I'd be interested in hearing what weapons people use and why?

If your answer is the same weapons regardless of the map and mode, you're doing it wrong. I suck at using the retro lancer (recoil :o), but it is the gun of choice for something like checkout. At the same time, you'd be mad to use it on sandbar for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Is it really that bad that you have to be a little more careful going around corners, or use smoke grenades more effectively?

To clarify - Coletrain believes both the Lancer and SoS are overpowered... which one is worse in your opinion?

This is the 1st time I have gotten stuck into Gears online, but using the DBS and Lancer on tight indoor maps, and the DBS and Hammerburst on larger maps, the Hammerburst Iron sights are class on some of the larger ones, great for picking guys off.

I don't think any of the weapons are too overpowered, the DBS is a one shot kill at close range alrite, but I suck at the whole roll and shotgun thing, so I just stick with my lancer or hammerburst, and only use the shotgun in a tight spot when out numbered and hopefully take someone out before I get killed.

I think the weapons are fine the way they are. Posted this on Eurogamer earlier about the Sawed-off...

It can be frustrating to walk around a corned and be killed in 1 shot, but the Gnasher does the same thing essentially. Plus, if it's 2 on 1 against someone with a DBS, they're guaranteed dead. A Gnasher user stands a much better chance. Range on it is pathetic too, if you die by the DBS, you got too close.

Just to elaborate on that point, if you have 2 people with Gnashers, no camper with a Sawed-off stands a chance. The reload time always means you will loose in a battle against a smart team. Always. In the same way that going for a chainsaw execution in a heated battle will get you a kill, but also get you killed immediately afterwards.

If your answer is the same weapons regardless of the map and mode, you're doing it wrong. I suck at using the retro lancer (recoil :o), but it is the gun of choice for something like checkout. At the same time, you'd be mad to use it on sandbar for example.

Have a gander at this video:

Personally, I use the lancer/retro lancer (map depending) with the gnasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Well now I feel even worse having missed with the DBS loads of times! :pac: My aim must stink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Great video. I'm happy to say I don't have a single kill with the sawed-off in multiplayer and I intend to keep it that way!

He makes a lot of good points, and very little he says actually contradicts what I said. Saying that if someone is on your screen and you pull the trigger that you'll kill them is bull obviously, but overall, he's well reasoned. I know the range is slightly (and it's only slightly) better than the official description, but if your first shot doesn't kill, you're in trouble.

I still maintain it's balanced. If you play the game as a team, your death from a DBS (SoS, whatever people are calling it) usually means someone is spending the next 3-4 seconds reloading, and any teammates worth their while will make them pay. Sure, the horizontal spread on it is crazy wide, but you get 4 shots, in comparison to 16 with the much more usable Gnasher. Tbh, I use all the starting 5 regularly with the exception of the Hammerburst, which only comes out on sandbar tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He makes a lot of good points, and very little he says actually contradicts what I said. Saying that if someone is on your screen and you pull the trigger that you'll kill them is bull obviously, but overall, he's well reasoned. I know the range is slightly (and it's only slightly) better than the official description, but if your first shot doesn't kill, you're in trouble.

I still maintain it's balanced. If you play the game as a team, your death from a DBS (SoS, whatever people are calling it) usually means someone is spending the next 3-4 seconds reloading, and any teammates worth their while will make them pay. Sure, the horizontal spread on it is crazy wide, but you get 4 shots, in comparison to 16 with the much more usable Gnasher. Tbh, I use all the starting 5 regularly with the exception of the Hammerburst, which only comes out on sandbar tbh.
    Too many people use the shotgun in Gears and have very little shooting skill outside it. I find it Pathetic that a guy will/can run the length of the map going from cover to cover when you weaken him with the lancer but when you get close/he runs head down at you he can still get the kill. Gears has always been like that though I suppose. The introduction of the SoS makes that approach even easier though as at least the Gnasher takes more than 1 shot the majority of the time. The lancer and retro lancer had to be made better to attempt to counteract everyone shotgunning and still there's a problem with everyone who's new to the game shotgunning.

I'd love a playlist with longshots and lancers as the weapons tbh.

also in response to your missed shot problem, you can switch weapons in about a second so a quick roll and you're back with a Lancer

Liam O wrote: »

also in response to your missed shot problem, you can switch weapons in about a second so a quick roll and you're back with a Lancer

Someone tries that shit against Twilightning (poster above me) and they'll be dead 9 times out of 10. There is no way to argue that missing with the DBS doesn't leave you at a huge disadvantage.

Retro Lancer has great stopping power at close-mid range afaik.

Just so people know where I'm coming from, I'd say about 80% of my kills are with a regular Lancer.

That playlist of yours sounds awesome btw, but I'd swap the hammerburst for the lancer :) Throw in Boltoks as the starting pistol too :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Someone tries that shit against Twilightning (poster above me) and they'll be dead 9 times out of 10. There is no way to argue that missing with the DBS doesn't leave you at a huge disadvantage.
    Nope. Im not gonna lie, im a high ranked gears player, and any time I use the SOS/DBS, which is very rarely anyway, if I miss with a shot, which is also very rarely since it takes no skill to get a one shot kill, all I had to do was roll to their side and start beating them down.

Most of the time you only need one beat down hit since the SOS will damage them a lot of it doesn't kill them. I Nearly always downed them. Its too easy. The odd time I was killed with a quick shotgun shot, double team or something, but majority I wasn't.

Or you can roll back, switch to lancer, stand up and see the guy racing at you with the shotgun, and lance him down. Very rarely will you get killed if you miss with the SOS, thats if you have got skill though and know the game.

Tinie wrote: »
    Nope. Im not gonna lie, im a high ranked gears player, and any time I use the SOS/DBS, which is very rarely anyway, if I miss with a shot, which is also very rarely since it takes no skill to get a one shot kill, all I had to do was roll to their side and start beating them down.

Most of the time you only need one beat down hit since the SOS will damage them a lot of it doesn't kill them. I Nearly always downed them. Its too easy. The odd time I was killed with a quick shotgun shot, double team or something, but majority I wasn't.

Or you can roll back, switch to lancer, stand up and see the guy racing at you with the shotgun, and lance him down. Very rarely will you get killed if you miss with the SOS, thats if you have got skill though and know the game.

And if you're against someone of equal skill? Say if you missed against someone with exactly the same skill as you? Who wins then? Because if you want to compare like for like, skill levels must be the same. Say someone misses against you... would you race them down, or lancer them as they roll?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

And if you're against someone of equal skill? Say if you missed against someone with exactly the same skill as you? Who wins then? Because if you want to compare like for like, skill levels must be the same. Say someone misses against you... would you race them down, or lancer them as they roll?
    If they miss a shot at me, I switch to lancer and lance at them while they roll back or run away. Its better than racing after them most of the time. Some times though I will roll towards them right after they miss and shoot with the gnasher as you will get very close to them. They wont always get time to switch to lancer and aim, so that can work too.

If they jump towards me after missing with the SOS, then I will try and beat them down before they shoot or reload. One beat down, then quick aim with gnasher and shoot = kill. Its very handy tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Hardcore is surprisingly easy too. Mostly because they've designed the game around co-op, and thrown in pretty intelligent squad AI for us loners. There's been a few battles I've noticed they've got the last kill in, plus they're pretty reliable revivers.

This has pretty ruined the single player campaign for me.
    The AI of your squad is hyper efficient, they really are killing machines. They rush down the enemy, lob grenades brilliantly and headshot the locusts like true marksmen.

I'm playing in SP on Hardcore on my first playthrough, and as an example of the above, I had to take a urgent phonecall in the
    locust labyrinth
    in act 2 I think. The squad had wiped out the whole cavern without me doing a tap.
    I'd say I was downed a few times but they're heroes at reviving you. It's my game, I want to be the gung-ho hero rushing in to clear the enemy out, not my AI team helping.
    This is not hardcore at all. I'll be hoping the insane playthrough is harder.
    That or pick up 3 other real team-mates for the game.

Conversely both COG and Locust AI seem like idiots in really close combat when they close in. Jumping over barrier cover and trying to pistol whip eachother no end.

Saying that, the multiplayer is sublime. The hosted servers make it feel so so much fairer

Getting tired of idiot/ass team mates robbing my downs online in execution.
    It has gotten to a stage where I am losing two kills a game due to scrub greed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just had a great run online there, matchmaking served me well :p

I don't know why, but of all the online shooters out there, the simple TDM in Gears of War provides the simplest, most endearing thrills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Getting tired of idiot/ass team mates robbing my downs online in execution.
    It has gotten to a stage where I am losing two kills a game due to scrub greed.

Do not get me started.
    I looked at my stats the other day and the results were along the lines of 47 downs/ assists and 3 kills. However one of those kills did gain me the Lambency achievement, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In fairness, if I see someone down, I shoot them. I'm not going to wait to see if the guy who downed him is blocked by cover or risk the chance that he'll have time to revive because of politeness. If he's down and I have a shot, I take it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And equally fair, the point system rewards whoever got more damage in. I've got a crawling enemy and only gotten ten points, which is only fair for the guy who did most of the work. A full down / kill combo will earn you the 100+ xp you deserve. It's the only real way they can handle it tbh.

GoW etiquette has always been your down = your kill. If you cannot claim your kill due to time constraints or if you think someone deserves it more, you give it to someone else.
    This does not really hold in TDM as it is a much faster paced game mode, but for example, Execution, there is little excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I ****ing love this game. battlefield can go roll over, its so desperately bad

And equally fair, the point system rewards whoever got more damage in. I've got a crawling enemy and only gotten ten points, which is only fair for the guy who did most of the work. A full down / kill combo will earn you the 100+ xp you deserve. It's the only real way they can handle it tbh.

Its not about the XP, it is that little boost you get from finishing that guy you chased halfway across the map with a torque bow. And to deny them from that is just being an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

id be angry at this practise if it wasn't for the fact that this is a team game, you take down the enemy team together. The more damage you do the more xp you get.

You do loads of damage and down someone, someone else finishes them. You both get xp. Your team is 1 step closer to winning or now has an advantage in numbers (objective games).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

In fairness, if I see someone down, I shoot them. I'm not going to wait to see if the guy who downed him is blocked by cover or risk the chance that he'll have time to revive because of politeness. If he's down and I have a shot, I take it.
    id be angry at this practise if it wasn't for the fact that this is a team game, you take down the enemy team together. The more damage you do the more xp you get.

You do loads of damage and down someone, someone else finishes them. You both get xp. Your team is 1 step closer to winning or now has an advantage in numbers (objective games).

In fairness I do agree with you both. I don't get mad at teammates for this because I usually shoot from afar to provide cover support while others advance forward however it's just that pride thing inside us that wants to see a pop-up on the screen say "you defeated that opponent, you (singular) da man!":D

+1. Theres no place for complaining about kill stealing in this game as far as I'm concerned. It's a team game, plain and simple.

I play a ranged battle game. Basically i hang back a lot and shoot stuff from far away. That way i can see more of the battlefield and help more of my team out with pressure and cover fire etc. Very often I get loads of assists but relatively few kills, but that's fine with me, because my TEAM wins, and the other TEAM loses.

The last guy who complained about me stealing kills from him got no assistance or supporting fire from me for the rest of a 35 wave horde session. Every enemy he came across was all his to deal with. He ended up dying more than anyone else on the team. After that he didnt complain anymore.

• Advertisement

In fairness I do agree with you both. I don't get mad at teammates for this because I usually shoot from afar to provide cover support while others advance forward however it's just that pride thing inside us that wants to see a pop-up on the screen say "you defeated that opponent, you (singular) da man!":D

If you want someone to take your kills, go for it. Your xbox came with a mic and you can use it to give your downs to someone else. I am just saying not to expect abuse, neg rep and lack of support from randoms who feel hard done by your actions. Although if you do stay at the back lines, I doubt you will be get executions on people.

Advertisement