Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CORaven wrote: »
    Its not about the XP, it is that little boost you get from finishing that guy you chased halfway across the map with a torque bow. And to deny them from that is just being an ass.

In Execution, perhaps. But in TDM I honestly don't mind someone finishing off a player I downed. No way for them to know if I'm stuck behind cover, or even down myself. The only thing I lose out on is a meaningless number beside my final score at the end of the day. The scoring system is built on XP, and tends to be unusually fair in that regard.

And it's not like I'm braving the horrific mic wilds of XBL :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

In Execution, perhaps. But in TDM I honestly don't mind someone finishing off a player I downed. No way for them to know if I'm stuck behind cover, or even down myself. The only thing I lose out on is a meaningless number beside my final score at the end of the day. The scoring system is built on XP, and tends to be unusually fair in that regard.

And it's not like I'm braving the horrific mic wilds of XBL :p

In TDM you can finish them off from a distance if you wanted to I guess as you do not have to execute them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In TDM you can finish them off from a distance if you wanted to I guess as you do not have to execute them.

I finish them off from a distance 75% of the time. Too much stress otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

GoW etiquette has always been your down = your kill. If you cannot claim your kill due to time constraints or if you think someone deserves it more, you give it to someone else.
    This does not really hold in TDM as it is a much faster paced game mode, but for example, Execution, there is little excuse.

Agree.

Also think KOH should have execution rules like last time. The amount of kill stealing would put you off.

I finish them off from a distance 75% of the time. Too much stress otherwise.

Me too. Wandering around and doing CQB is way too dangerous in gears 3 now that we've got the sawn-off shotgun to think about. Firing from cover is way less lethal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Anyone playing horde?

Fuuuuck me. There's some stingy bastards on there. One bloke refused to buy anything there, this morning. The lads with mics were going mental at him. Seems to happen every game though.

Beast seems to have more normal people in it - working as a team and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

If you want someone to take your kills, go for it. Your xbox came with a mic and you can use it to give your downs to someone else. I am just saying not to expect abuse, neg rep and lack of support from randoms who feel hard done by your actions. Although if you do stay at the back lines, I doubt you will be get executions on people.

I usually shoot from afar, meaning that I have on occasion gotten a little closer, hence the achievement :)

I think I might have misunderstood a previous post. I was confusing the act of downing an opponent, then continuing to finish that opponent off with bullets vs executions where you stand over and pummel said opponent.

What I find is that I would down an opponent from afar and while they’re crawling, a teammate would come out of cover and 9/10 then lodge the final bullets. Again, I have no problem with this in a team based match other then slightly injured pride :)

Two teammates vs one opponent at close range and stealing an execution is a different story, but one I don’t have sufficient experience with so I won’t comment either way.

mehfesto wrote: »
    Anyone playing horde?

Fuuuuck me. There's some stingy bastards on there. One bloke refused to buy anything there, this morning. The lads with mics were going mental at him.

I play a lot of horde. Have you managed to buy a silverback yet? If not, once you do you'll see why some people save up their cash. That thing is fecking lethal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Play with friends guys, that's all I can say. Get a full party together. You don't have to worry about killstealing. It does happen by accident sometimes and when it does, we usually just say "Sorry mate, you can take my next down." Problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Just picked up Gears there the other day, loving it, anyone up for a few games online add me benji87FTW!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I wish there was some kinda game recording in this like there is in black ops. I killed 5 people in a game of TDM with one Mortar shot lastnight to win the match, it was pretty epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Get your self a capture card :)

Anyone else finding it pretty much impossible to find matches right now, quick or ranked, seems to hang on read skills and then on finding matches?? Was fine last night.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

mehfesto wrote: »
    Anyone playing horde?

Fuuuuck me. There's some stingy bastards on there. One bloke refused to buy anything there, this morning. The lads with mics were going mental at him. Seems to happen every game though.

Beast seems to have more normal people in it - working as a team and that.

I would almost bet my house on him saving it up for a reason ........ either he was from Cavan *Boom Boom* :p or He was saving for a Silverback $12,500 which was the more likely of the two. Mind you all he had to do was say that and save himself the abuse.

That or he was keeping a buffer to buy back in in case he died.

anyone on for a few games now, im jumping in!

gt: BLASTEDGLUTE

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Beat this last night. Just starting to get into the multiplayer now. I never played any of the previous GOW games online, so it's all a bit new to me. But I'm really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Gonna start my Insane run this week, on arcade mode, feel free to add me and jump in to lend a helping chainsaw if you see me online.

GT: The Batman IRL

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Gonna start my Insane run this week, on arcade mode, feel free to add me and jump in to lend a helping chainsaw if you see me online.

I owe you a few rounds for the help last week so count on me dude, I would suggest a 3 human player minimum though for some parts.

Edit: It has to be on arcade, doing it on standard would just be sadistic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

calex71 wrote: »
    I owe you a few rounds for the help last week so count on me dude, I would suggest a 3 human player minimum though for some parts.

+1 on needing humans for help, hell me you and 2 other humans had bother in some places last week.

Shall be trading this in during the week for dark souls, it'll only be ignored for battlefield at the end of the month

• Advertisement

+1 on needing humans for help, hell me you and 2 other humans had bother in some places last week.

Shall be trading this in during the week for dark souls, it'll only be ignored for battlefield at the end of the month

Rage is my next move, forgot Dark Souls was out too, so looks like I'll be kissing Dead Island goodbye too then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Rage is my next move, forgot Dark Souls was out too, so looks like I'll be kissing Dead Island goodbye too then.
    Being spoiled with games we are. Able to give each other hints in Dark souls. Could be fun.

Calex proceed very slowly over here....

Calex run as fast as you can around corner

Could be fun just to **** with you :pac:

Cheers Calex, will definitely be doing it on arcade for the respawn benefit.

Due to my NAT I can't start a public one, I was hoping to do so, and have ramdomers join on lower difficulties and do the work for me while I hide behind cover.

Friends should still be able to join the default party setup it does I think.

Sounds like Insane is gonna be a total nightmare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I might be on a bit too so I'll jump in if I'm around. Yer on my friends list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Is there much of a difference between hardcore and insane? Hardcore was pretty easy playing on my own.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Is there much of a difference between hardcore and insane? Hardcore was pretty easy playing on my own.

Remember every time you went down and the AI picked you up? Imagine you had to go back to the last checkpoint every time that happened. In insane there is no DBNO, only death.
    You are also be more vulnerable to damage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Remember every time you went down and the AI picked you up? Imagine you had to go back to the last checkpoint every time that happened. In insane there is no DBNO, only death.
    You are also be more vulnerable to damage too.

Ah, maybe I'll give it a miss so, thanks :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Havent read the previous pages as trying to avoid spoilers. Only picked up the game yesterday and its the first I have had the 360 out in ages as I have found Im using the PS3 more lately.

I have only played single player campaign so far and have completed Act 1. Initial thoughts is that it seems easier than the previous games. Granted Im playing it on normal difficultly but i did expect it be tougher. It was only later in the first act before I died for the first time!

I'm enjoying it but I have to admit I prefer the Locust over the Lambent. They have a more realistic enemy feel to them, if that makes sense. In previous games, when killing a locust I felt like I was killing an alien soldier. this time round it feels like Im just killing soulless monsters

Once i have the single player out of the way I will jump on multiplayer. was never a fan of multiplayer on the previous games with the exception of Horde mode.

My gamertag is: Thefaceman101

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Faceman, unless you plan to play through it again on a harder difficulty, I'd recommend bumping it to hardcore. We were discussing this earlier in the thread and the squad AI are much smarter in this game and do most of the work for you. I finished playing through on normal the other night and it was piss easy. I wasn't even taking cover most of the time. I'm going to play through again on hardcore though.

• Advertisement

Faceman, unless you plan to play through it again on a harder difficulty, I'd recommend bumping it to hardcore.

+1

I played the 1st Act in normal, and it was a breeze, so I restarted the playthrough on Hardcore for a bit of a challenge.

Advertisement