Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ANyone finding matchmaking painfully slow tonight? Even the bit when you boot up and it creates a party at the start screen was slow.

Edit : Never mind seems xbox live is down

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-live-status

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Source X360A.org
    Adding three new Horde maps, the Horde Command Pack also includes new fortification upgrades and new characters, making it a worthwhile addition to the Horde 2.0 mayhem, as well as adding 250 Gamerscore of new achievements to unlock. Here's the complete list of Horde Command Pack contents:

Three new maps:
    • Blood Drive – The Jacinto Medical Plaza was overwhelmed by evacuated citizens after the government-sanctioned Hammer Strikes, and the ensuing riots quickly turned this safe haven into a dangerous inferno. An abundance of high ground and funneled choke points make this map a returning favourite to Horde.
    • Rustlung – Once the pride of the Royal Tyran Navy, the foredecks of this decommissioned battleship are now riddled with bullet holes. Any team with the fortitude to hold the exposed central torpedo bay will find that the ship’s Loader has been replaced with a battle-ready Silverback mech suit.
    • Azura – This island resort was once the exclusive domain of Sera’s educated elite, but the tranquil water gardens and lush foliage have become a hotly contested combat zone. Dual snipers overlook a powerful explosive weapon, while the defensive central platform may be your last resort of retreat.

New fortification upgrades:
    • Command Center – A brand new type of fortification that allows you to call in fire support from sniper teams, mortar strikes and even multiple Hammers of Dawn.
    • Decoy Upgrade – A new fortification level that turns your decoy into an Onyx Guard bot that will fight in your defense.
    • Sentry Upgrade – This upgrade adds a fire bolt sentry that deals much more damage and is very effective against Berserkers.
    • Silverback Upgrade – This advancement allows you to upgrade your Silverback exo-suit with devastating rockets and extra levels of repair cost reduction.

New characters:
    • Onyx Guard
    • Big Rig Dizzy
    • Bernie

New weapon skins:
    • Team Plasma
    • Jungle Camo

This is also playable in Beast Mode and private Versus matches, which means the Gears of War 3 Horde Command Pack is a snip at 800 Microsoft Points or at a 33% discount as part of a Season Pass purchase. You'll be able to grab it from November 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

This didn't take long, the first dlc for Gears 3 is to be available on 1st November: http://www.gamersireland.ie/?p=10400

It's all multiplayer based, 3 new maps, new characters and stuff for horde mode.

Can't see myself running out to get this on day 1 as I'm still enjoying what's on the disc.

EDIT/ Beaten to the punch by 1 minute by Mr. Freeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

im loving the game more and more as I go! well happy that we'll have a few new maps to duke it on!

This didn't take long, the first dlc for Gears 3 is to be available on 1st November

Jeez. Developers and publishers are really ripping the p1ss with the DLC these days. Its a totally new business model for games software.

All this DLC was developed in tandem with the game and held over till a month after release, and plenty of it like the silverback upgrades and certain maps were notable omissions from the retail disc. They really are doing their best to squeeze every last penny out of the gamer lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Jeez. Developers and publishers are really ripping the p1ss with the DLC these days. Its a totally new business model for games software.

All this DLC was developed in tandem with the game and held over till a month after release, and plenty of it like the silverback upgrades and certain maps were notable omissions from the retail disc. They really are doing their best to squeeze every last penny out of the gamer lately.

The command post especially. You build one and it does nothing, yet now with this map pack you can call in snipers etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yanogore

I hate that whole dlc thing, I haven't got a real chance to play properly what's on the disc (haven't even started story mode) and they already issue 3 new maps. The best thing to do would be to get seasons pass to have access to all mp games and keep chainsawing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Hey guys,

There was a promotion for the Green Xbox Weapon Skin Pack on the Jack in the Box Facebook page last night. You got a code if you entered your details (US only) and then you had a chance to win a skin pack!

It started at around 11pm GMT and ended at about 3am GMT with the website crashing.

Of course EPIC screwed the rest of the world again by making it a promotion that only America could enter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

yanogore wrote: »
    I hate that whole dlc thing, I haven't got a real chance to play properly what's on the disc (haven't even started story mode) and they already issue 3 new maps. The best thing to do would be to get seasons pass to have access to all mp games and keep chainsawing ;)

It is not out until November..

And it is unfortunate that it is another Bioshock2 case where all that DLC is already on the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Don't forget that the game was ment to released much earlier than it was so I guess they had all that time to polish it and make DLC! Or maybe not :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I've been watching the Epic forums and Rod Fergusson's twitter. Apparently the new DLC will not be supported by the servers for versus matchmaking. If you want to play those three maps you have to do it private (hosting).
    It also seems that only the host has to pay for the maps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Razleavy wrote: »
    Don't forget that the game was ment to released much earlier than it was so I guess they had all that time to polish it and make DLC! Or maybe not :(

I think its meant to be a way of keeping people playing through November with all that Competition,idiotic as that sounds I think thats why they are releasing new dlc. Playing this since Sunday evening, anyone annoyed at the bit in the campaign you have to turn off the charges on the pipes,hadn't a clue where to run & just flicked it off in frustration.

yanogore wrote: »
    I hate that whole dlc thing, I haven't got a real chance to play properly what's on the disc (haven't even started story mode) and they already issue 3 new maps

The thing i dislike most about DLC for shooter games is that it fractures the player base. I play with a regular bunch of gamers in most of the shooters i play online. Whenever there's DLC, half of the people i play with will get it and half of them won't bother, so there will generally be arguments over what maps to play on and who can't play this map because they haven't got that DLC and so on, and a lot of the time i won't get to use the content i payed for at all.

I know it's a recession and money is tight everywhere, etc, but why not just give us the full range of content, maps, everything, and instead of charging €40 upfront charge €50, and keep everybody on the same content all the time? I'd still pay it, a tenner in the difference isn't a lot for a game that i will get weeks, maybe months of entertainment out of, particularly if they made a song and dance about how much extra stuff was included. The fact that a lot of the time the DLC is already ON the disc when i buy it and i have to pay the extra just to unlock it is even more annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I normally never buy map packs, I never purchased them for any other game before except this one, feck it, I am enjoying it so much, (call be crazy but :pac:) I went and got that season pass, probably the only person here that did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Are people finding match making slow? I ventured onto Horde mode on Monday night and found it slow with people dropping off regularly.

faceman wrote: »
    Are people finding match making slow? I ventured onto Horde mode on Monday night and found it slow with people dropping off regularly.

It seed patchy last night allright. First bit of trouble I've had with it so far. People were dropping in and out, games freezing etc. At one point I was wandering around the map in horde with all my team mates and all the enemies frozen solid. I could move but nobody else i saw could, and all my team mates were reporting that they were getting the same experience. Wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

CORaven wrote: »
    I've been watching the Epic forums and Rod Fergusson's twitter. Apparently the new DLC will not be supported by the servers for versus matchmaking. If you want to play those three maps you have to do it private (hosting).
    It also seems that only the host has to pay for the maps...
    this is a deal breaker for me. Have been really enjoying versus and the only thing that has been bugging me is the lack of maps. If you can't play them versus then it's a no go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I normally never buy map packs, I never purchased them for any other game before except this one, feck it, I am enjoying it so much, (call be crazy but :pac:) I went and got that season pass, probably the only person here that did.

I got it also. Mainly because I had a ton of MS points and I have gotten all DLC packs for the previous games (huge fan of the series), so I was always going to get all the DLC anyway :D

In saying that, hugely disappointed with this first DLC, even more so that the maps won't appear in Versus. Surely that must be a mistake on Rod's part, it'd be idiotic of Epic to be unable to change the matchmaking to include new maps after launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Anybody else finding the big heads a bit of meh. Was funny for 2 games but it got a bit boring after that. Still I suppose they are doing something for the events

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I'll be back on later for some more Insane Arcade campaign.
    Just Join the party if your interested.

GT:Kiddums

• Advertisement

CptMackey wrote: »
    Anybody else finding the big heads a bit of meh. Was funny for 2 games but it got a bit boring after that. Still I suppose they are doing something for the events

F*cking annoying. Wish there was a way to turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'm getting used to the multiplayer. I think the dedicated servers are what makes it. No more host advantage is a huge plus and when on player mode it's great to be guaranteed a game within a few seconds. Also nice how you play with the same people instead of going back to the menu..

On Gears 2 I mainly played annex. In this game, I think the sawn off doesn't do it any favours. Too many players are using it, I miss the shotgun battles. I'm still using the Gnasher though, got to stay loyal :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Totally finished with horde after tonights hijinxs. Went into a public party, by bout 15 2 after dropping out so guessed that by 20 game would be over, but I was so wrong got all the way to 50 and then the host bloody quit! Bad enough that happened but the guy hogged the fecking suit yolk the whole time, stayed in one spot and didn't spend any money on fortifications and refused to revive me or the other guy the whole way through.It was virtually impossible to get much money as the fecker kept stealing kills as well and ruined any challenges.But I thought feck it if he's gonna go all the way.
    Word of advice to anyone out there that might find themselves going the whole way with 2 or 3 people, wave 50 is nuts, you need decent fortifications and 5 people willing to communicate and act as a team otherwise you're screwed and if you don't do it the first time and have no money left to rebuild you are ****ed.

Can't get over the change in the mentality of the people playing horde at the moment.In gow2 it seems that the majority (bar the cocky feckers who ran around on their own with a shotty till they got killed and were too far away to be revived) of players wanted to work as a team (like battle field) and played gow as it was a very different game from cod. Hopefully when cod 3 comes out most of the assholes will be gone and it might get back to resembling the online experience it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I was playing some versus online last night and I can't believe how bad I suck at this game. I've never been that great at Gears online but in this one I can just about get one kill over two rounds.

I tend to get quite a few downs but other players end up getting the kill by finishing off the players I've downed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I was playing some versus online last night and I can't believe how bad I suck at this game. I've never been that great at Gears online but in this one I can just about get one kill over two rounds.

I tend to get quite a few downs but other players end up getting the kill by finishing off the players I've downed.

Same here, my K/D ratios are in tatters. There seems to be a massive gap in skill levels between me and the people I get thrown in with. Very off putting when you are constantly being one shot killed because you lost the roll of the dice in the shot gun battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

calex71 wrote: »
    Same here, my K/D ratios are in tatters. There seems to be a massive gap in skill levels between me and the people I get thrown in with. Very off putting when you are constantly being one shot killed because you lost the roll of the dice in the shot gun battle.
    Getting into shotgun battles and running at people with chainsaws are basically big no nos. I'm not great but I've just over a 1 ratio and it is a big improvement over Gears 2 for me. One thing people don't seem to do (and this was true for me in Gears 2) is that the roll button is the biggest friend you have. Also if the other guy begins to get the better of you don't stand up with him, if you can get away that's the way to go imo.

Basically, try to take the chance element out of the game and keep your distance, move from cover to cover and try take people out with your lancer. If they get close enough take out your shotty or try to chainsaw. Acquaint yourself with the power weapons too, things like frag nades are massive help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I finished the solo campaign last night. Easy stuff on normal difficulty. Didnt have the "epic war" feel to it that GOW2 had.

Liam O wrote: »
    Getting into shotgun battles and running at people with chainsaws are basically big no nos........the roll button is the biggest friend you have. Also if the other guy begins to get the better of you don't stand up with him, if you can get away that's the way to go imo

Ditto on the whole running away thing-I know it sounds a bit chicken, but only engage with someone if your odds are 50/50 or better. Same as in any shooter, If someone has got the drop on you, and has started taking health off you before you've had a chance to respond-RUN. Unless you've got superior manpower or firepower and are at the right range to use it, it's better to duck out and live to fight another day. Similarly you should always be looking to get the drop on people for the same reason. If you can get rid of 20-30% of someone's health before they can respond, you're far more likely to come out on top.

Secondly, and this is another simple one, but you'd be surprised how many people forget. ACTIVE RELOAD after every single engagement. Don't be the guy running into a toe to toe battle with a half a clip. It's a sure fire way to die lots. Make sure you active reload after every time you shoot at anything, the small extra damage boost your shots get, plus having a full clip at your disposal makes a big difference. Also, if you're not hitting anything, don't spray shots all over the place till you run out. Smart players will spot that, wait for the reload, and come at you and blow you away while you're defenselessly reloading.

One more thing. Go around blind corners WIDE. Campers suck, but the introduction of the sawn-off in Gears 3 has made them lethal. There's nothing worse than walking around a corner and coming face to face with someone packing one, so make sure to leave as much room as you can between you and whatever you might bump into, just in case. Oh, and if you do, and you roll, and he misses, lay into him. You have all day before he can reload, his only option is a quick switch of weapon, so make sure you take advantage of the window of the second or two that takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

What I find amazing is the amount of people who do not use their rifle. It's staggering to be honest. If your constantly getting killed by a shotgun, then simply stick to your rifle and keep your distance. Furthermore, shooting an enemy with the lancer slows them down which is great for roadie-running shotgunners.

However I recommend the retro lancer. There are too few people using it, despite it been the most powerful rifle in the game. It's crap for long range, but if your mostly caught up in short-mid range battles (which is generally the case considering the maps), it's lethal. It's my weapon of choice for taking down players using shotguns when I'm not using a shotgun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I'm enjoying the games i'm going into with people of a similar level but there is nothing worse than been thrown into a game with people at level 60+, no enjoyment in it as they are most likley playing all the time.

Was getting into Horde the other day, the other lads seemed to be on the same wave length setting up a decent area to have a good vantage point from. Then a few went off doing their own thing high up in the waves (20+) and got killed, they pulled out after we all died and it was very annoying after spending time on it.

Tried arcade on Hardcore and the host kept pausing the game and then after about 45 minutes of playing paused and a few minutes later quit the game which was frustrating.

Advertisement