Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Anyone on for a game now?
    GT: PerrinV2

Horde has gotten too irritating to play seriously with random people. The only way I take it seriously now is with a team of friends, all using their mic.

There are too many idiots letting the side down and running around like headless chickens online. Once you get over level 30 you need everyone pulling their weight. As soon as one person isn't, it's much harder, and people start getting frustrated and dropping out.

Before you know it you've spent 2 hours in a match and everyone else has left, and you get slaughtered. Maybe epic should think about cutting the locust numbers by 20% or adding an AI bot if someone drops out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

So after listening to some of the posters here I opted to give the retro a go tonight with epic success in king of the hill which resulted in some heat from one guy on the other team,

he says "there are other guns you know"

me : "what do you mean"

he : "that retro is overpowered and n00bish"

me : "I am a noob and we can all use it same as the other guns besides its got a bitch of a recoil and crap at range"

him : to the n00b bit "I can tell"

after killing him 5 times straight with the retro gunfire he switches to it and tries to retro charge me, I send him a missage saying "wow the sawnoff does one shot kills OMG :0" I got a nice ribbon for that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Is the season pass gone yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

calex71 wrote: »
    So after listening to some of the posters here I opted to give the retro a go tonight with epic success in king of the hill which resulted in some heat from one guy on the other team,

he says "there are other guns you know"

me : "what do you mean"

he : "that retro is overpowered and n00bish"

me : "I am a noob and we can all use it same as the other guns besides its got a bitch of a recoil and crap at range"

him : to the n00b bit "I can tell"

after killing him 5 times straight with the retro gunfire he switches to it and tries to retro charge me, I send him a missage saying "wow the sawnoff does one shot kills OMG :0" I got a nice ribbon for that too :D
    Don't know why this annoyed me so much. How can people call the retro overpowered with the sawed off in the game. That's something they really need to patch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Is the season pass gone yeah?

Nope, it will be around for ages, until a month after DLC #4 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

calex71 wrote: »
    So after listening to some of the posters here I opted to give the retro a go tonight with epic success in king of the hill which resulted in some heat from one guy on the other team

Switched to using the Retro last night too, finding it great, the ease at which you get them the Retro charge kills too is great.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Don't know why this annoyed me so much. How can people call the retro overpowered with the sawed off in the game. That's something they really need to patch...

Ya compared to the Sawed Off its not overpowered at all. I use them both, no choice, can't beat em join em. :pac:

Is your tag Liam O D 11 or something like that? Was in a game with him last night, flipping good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I certainly nope not, I think all the guns in the game are nicely balanced. The Sawn-Off is meant to be more powerful than the gnasher, otherwise what's the point of it?

Benzino wrote: »
    I certainly nope not, I think all the guns in the game are nicely balanced. The Sawn-Off is meant to be more powerful than the gnasher, otherwise what's the point of it?

No way. A one shot kill at close range is a bad idea for game balance. Its a camper's dream. One shot kills should be kept to pinpoint weapons like snipers etc that need a bit more skill to use. IMO the sawn off should be toned down a bit.

I wouldn't whine about it in a game though, like the guy you ran into who messaged you complaining, I'd just stay the hell away from you and lancer you from cover instead :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

No way. A one shot kill at close range is a bad idea for game balance. Its a camper's dream. One shot kills should be kept to pinpoint weapons like snipers etc that need a bit more skill to use. IMO the sawn off should be toned down a bit.

I understand where you are coming from, but the Gnasher can be a one shot kill when at close range. So for the sawn off to be better than the Gnasher, it has to be a one shot kill (within range of course), otherwise why would you use the Sawn-Off over the Gnasher? There are many downsides to the Sawn-off, long reload times, only 4 bullets (max 6) that it would want to be a one shot kill to make it worth while.

I believe Epic have put this weapon in for a purpose, which is funnily enough to try and get people to use the rifles more. Gears was always more shotgun orientated with most battles been Gnasher vs Gnasher. But now, with the Sawn-Off, you have to think twice before running towards somebody to enage at close-range. Instead, using your rifle and keeping a distance is a better approach more often than not.

Well that's my 2 cent anyway. I personally love both the Gnasher and Sawn-off. I find it exciting trying to stay alive while reloading my Sawn-off, tis good craic :D

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    It has too much of a range, more than it's supposed to have. Also you can miss and still get a kill to the obscenely large spread. It's supposed to only be effective in melee range and it's at least twice that distance for a one shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

They have just nerfed the DBS today. Apparently the gib range is now the same as the Gnasher.

Yay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Christ its happening already
    There are programs out that allow you to:
    - Unlock all Medals, including exclusive Epic employee ones
    -Get DLC characters and weapon skins
    -Allow longer or perma spawn protection
    -Use the Infinite Ammo/Super Reload mutator in online competitive matches
    From gamespot

How the flip to ya beat the end boss on insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just looking at the stats video and I'm shocked that the Hammerburst is so low down the charts. It's great for pinning down enemies from a distance and providing support and cover for your team. OK so I get a hell of a lot more downs than I get kills - I down them and they drop behind cover - but my teammates finish them off and I get the points.

A good Hammerburst player can make all the difference to a team.

Just looking at the stats video and I'm shocked that the Hammerburst is so low down the charts. It's great for pinning down enemies from a distance and providing support and cover for your team. OK so I get a hell of a lot more downs than I get kills - I down them and they drop behind cover - but my teammates finish them off and I get the points.

A good Hammerburst player can make all the difference to a team.

The Hammerburst is great in Sandbar if you have the high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    The Hammerburst is great in Sandbar if you have the high ground.

Gridlock and Mercy too. Get up into the central towers on either of them and you can just pin back the other team and pick them off at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Anyone on for a game now?
    GT: PerrinV2

Living in Limerick myself add me if you want to play sometime

GT/ Gaelic Insanity any problems pm me.

Source, X360A.org.
    That Gears of War 3 Season Pass should look all the more enticing today, as Epic Games and Microsoft have announced the first chunk of proper campaign DLC, which will be launching after the Horde Command pack that's due to land on the Xbox Live Marketplace on November 1st.

Entitled, 'RAAM's Shadow' the campaign add-on will offer more than three hours of additional new gameplay for the Gears 3 campaign, with a prequel storyline set before the events of the first Gears of War that will star a cast of new and familiar faces. Furthermore, the pack will also be packing in another six multiplayer characters, a 'Chocolate Weapon Set' and 250 Gamerscore's worth of new achievements.

“When we announced the ‘Gears 3’ Season Pass, we immediately started getting hundreds of questions from fans about what the game add-ons would be,” said Epic Games Design Director, Cliff Bleszinski. “We’re really excited to be lifting the curtain on the first two releases, first with the ‘Horde Command Pack’ and now with ‘RAAM’s Shadow,’ which gives fans a new perspective on the ‘Gears’ universe and is also the biggest DLC release we’ve ever made.”

You'll be able to reunite with Lt. Minh Young Kim from Gears 1 and Tai Kaliso from Gears 2 in RAAM's Shadow, as well as meeting comic book Gears hero Michael Barrick and new female comrade, Alicia Valera. And as if that wasn't enough, you'll even get to step into the big scary boots of Gears 1 boss General RAAM himself, storming the human stronghold from his perspective.

“RAAM’s imposing size and strength, along with his Kryll shield, make him one of the most powerful and daunting foes in the ‘Gears’ universe,” said Bleszinski. “We think fans are going to have a blast unleashing hell upon the poor humans for the first time in a campaign setting.”

You'll be able to get your hands on Gears of War 3's RAAM's Shadow DLC on December 13th for 1200 Microsoft Points, or get it as part of the Season Pass, which is still available to download for 2400 Microsoft Points.

Sounds cool. RAAM was a great bad guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I liked shooting RAAM in the head, but I don't know if I like season passes yet. It's paying for something that's not been reviewed yet...but it is discounted...but, but...gah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

has anyone who got the season pass managed to get the liquid metal skins for their guns yet or do we have to wait until the first dlc?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seamus LFC

has anyone who got the season pass managed to get the liquid metal skins for their guns yet or do we have to wait until the first dlc?

I got them when I bought the season pass, you don't have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

Seamus LFC wrote: »

strange because i havnt got them, i might try and re download the season pass and hopefully they will appear

Seamus LFC wrote: »

strange because i havnt got them, i might try and re download the season pass and hopefully they will appear

I thought the same but they are there! Scroll right to the bottom when selecting a skin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

:D
    Free Gears Of War 3 Versus Booster Map Pack Arriving On Thanksgiving

On November 24th, Epic Games will release a free downloadable content pack for Gears of War 3. The "Versus Booster Map Pack" adds five more maps for online play.

The new maps include "Swamp" and "Clocktower", two old favorites from the first Gears. The other three are the new maps from the "Horde Command Pack: Azura, Rustlung, and Blood Drive. All maps will be available on public matchmaking via dedicated servers.

Why buy the Horde Command Pack on November 1st if they're going to give you the maps free a few weeks later? Well, "Horde Command" doesn't just add maps. It also unlocks new fortification upgrades for Horde mode, weapons skins, and playable characters. Additionally, the DLC provides 250G of Achievements for you to attain.

The "Versus Booster" DLC is sandwiched between the release dates of "Horde Command" as well as upcoming campaign DLC "RAAM’s Shadow." "Shadow," due on December 13th, is a 3+ hour experience set before the events of the first game.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Free-Gears-War-3-Versus-Booster-Map-Pack-Arriving-Thanksgiving-36584.html

Loved clocktower, pity canals wasn't included also.

Tinie wrote: »

FFS sucker I am paid for stupid maps that are now going to be free, big woop we get weapon skins and from what I can see all you get in terms fortifications is the command center, while very nice you need to spend 360k on turrets before you can unlock it at level 1.

To add insult to it, everyone who has gears already has the maps on the disc !!!! Today's DLC was 1.2mb

The upside is no-one will be alienated from playing and fragmenting the community etc due to them not having maps which benefits those who paid for them too I guess but still I feel cheated a little.

Tinie wrote: »
    fair play to Epic :eek: that's savage news, right after I was criticising them for not releasing the horde pack on versus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Any1 playing this new alpha mode thing?

fair play to Epic :eek: that's savage news, right after I was criticising them for not releasing the horde pack on versus.

They were playable on any match type anyway as far as I know, not just Horde.
    PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Any1 playing this new alpha mode thing?

Had a go there 4 players instead of 5 and some changes to weapon spawns is all I can see.

Info here http://epic.gm/alpha

Edit: Double XP until the 14th of Nov. Handy for those looking to get to level 50. I was getting about 11k in just the 1st 10 waves of Horde earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Check this out:

To celebrate three years since Gears of War 2 emerged from its grub-hole, Epic Games is throwing around multiplied XP like it's going out of fashion, with 20x XP in Gears of War 2 and double XP in Gears of War 3 for a whole week. Here's all you need to know:
    "This week we’re celebrating Emergence Day with 20 x XP in Gears of War 2. It’s live now and will run until 9:00 a.m. Eastern on Monday, November 14th. Remember that it’s also double XP during that same period in Gears 3. Enjoy Emergence Day week!"

Source:
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-10057-Gears-of-War-2-20x-XP-and-Double-Gears-3-XP-All-This-Week.html

Advertisement