Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

20X XP in GoW2..........

Hmmmmm, I can't get online games in 2 since the last title update, I might try it again, I don't remember what level I was.

Level 60something in GoW3 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    20X XP in GoW2..........

Hmmmmm, I can't get online games in 2 since the last title update, I might try it again, I don't remember what level I was.

Level 60something in GoW3 at the moment.

I was on last night and this morning, nobody playing at all. Got into one horde match and went up 3 levels in 8 waves before the host quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I'd be up for some Gears 2 Horde tomorrow night if you guys are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I haven't gotten any of the DLC maps yet and was playing horde the other night and saw new maps in the rotation that were voted on. I was sure I was gonna get kicked but it let me play me. I was happy enough with that

djkeogh wrote: »
    I haven't gotten any of the DLC maps yet and was playing horde the other night and saw new maps in the rotation that were voted on. I was sure I was gonna get kicked but it let me play me. I was happy enough with that

Lousy freeloading chancer, that all you are!!! :pac:

The DLC was on the disc already apparently, and all the DLC did was unlock it, so maybe, you just can't host on them maps, but you can play on them from matchmaking, you shouldn't be able to use the command centre's though, otherwise, I don't know what I bother paying for. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    The DLC was on the disc already apparently, and all the DLC did was unlock it, so maybe, you just can't host on them maps, but you can play on them from matchmaking, you shouldn't be able to use the command centre's though, otherwise, I don't know what I bother paying for. ;)

Keeping Cliff Blezinsky up to his armpits in coke and hookers?

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

New update out tonight.... really like the addition of spectator mode
    Improvements

A spectator mode option has been added to private versus matches for broadcasting by gaming leagues.
    One player on each team will be able to choose spectator mode during match set up.
    The matches will be 4v4 with two spectators
    The Leader and Vengeful medals are now easier to acquire.
    The mutators Roadie Comet and Regen Enemies are now easier to acquire.
    Added an option to disable the HUD during multiplayer games for machinima and video creators
    Added a visual indicator of the next ring’s location during the last 10 ring points in KOTH.

Exploit Fixes

The Onyx Field Engineer medal can no longer be prestiged.
    In Capture the Leader, the overhead Beams on DryDock are no longer accessible.
    While affected by the Smoke Grenade stun, players will no longer be able to take hostages, pick up weapons or revive teammates.

General Fixes

If there is a host migration during Horde, the match will resume at the same wave.
    Also during Horde, the Combat Engineer ribbon can now be achieved once per wave instead of once per game.
    The Ranked Disconnect stat will no longer increase when quitting a standard Horde or Beast game.
    The cringe from the Mortar will no longer cause players to drop their primary weapon.
    The Hail Mary ribbon is now correctly awarded for long distance Boomshot headshots.
    Maps will no longer be immediately repeated when choosing random map selection.
    If the host pauses during a private versus match the game will continue for other players.
    The game will still pause in the Campaign, Beast and Horde.
    Potential fix for the rare lost progress issue.
    Potential fix for the rare profile freezing issue.
    Beast leaderboard screen no longer refreshes while sending challenges

I don't know if I still need spoiler tags but for the benefit of those with Gears on their Christmas lists:
    I finally decided to finish the single-player campaign over the weekend and made it to Queen Myrrah and her Tempest bug buddy last night. Is it just me or that final boss fight quite difficult? I'm playing on Hardcore and encountered very few difficult sections throughout the campaign however after an hour and a half of trying last night I still can't finish that section. My strategy is to hide behind the lift that brought us up to the top as the Theron Guards tend to ignore that area and I can hide from her heat wave. However when it comes to shooting the Tempest off of the tower it always manages to break through and fry Adam Fenix... did most of you find this section difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know if I still need spoiler tags but for the benefit of those with Gears on their Christmas lists:
    I finally decided to finish the single-player campaign over the weekend and made it to Queen Myrrah and her Tempest bug buddy last night. Is it just me or that final boss fight quite difficult? I'm playing on Hardcore and encountered very few difficult sections throughout the campaign however after an hour and a half of trying last night I still can't finish that section. My strategy is to hide behind the lift that brought us up to the top as the Theron Guards tend to ignore that area and I can hide from her heat wave. However when it comes to shooting the Tempest off of the tower it always manages to break through and fry Adam Fenix... did most of you find this section difficult?
    You're meant to use the Hammer of Dawn there. They're on some of the pillars, you can reload them there too. I only played it on Normal, but I presume it's the same strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I have to admit I probably did die there more often than at any other point in the game (also playing on Hardcore). I didn't have a strategy so much as I
    tried to find one of the pillars where I could get cover from the Therons. Sometimes I also found that if you circled around the tower, you could get a position with less fire directed at it and you could still hit the bug's weak orange areas. Once you hit them enough with projectile weapons, it will start flying, and you have to aim for its mouth at this point. Do enough damage here, and it will land, and then, as already noted, it's hammer-time! This has to be repeated a few times before it actually dies though

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies.
    Turns out all I needed was the Hammer of Dawn. It thought there was a set number of times the Tempest would attack the tower however all I was missing was shooting it out of the sky to force it to land and then, once grounded, hit it with the hammer again.
    I managed it the first time I turned it on last night, I must have been too tired to think straight the other night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Had finished this very quickly on normal (:o), but went back over the last week to get the Ghost Protocol weapon skins by playing through on Insane... the last boss gave us (4 randomers online) some amount of trouble. Next hardest part was Act 4, Ch 5 when you fight the Armored Kantus for the first time. Played on Arcade mode, I can't imagine doing it in regular story mode. Ended up getting 5 achievements for my efforts last night, including the one for my first Onyx medal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Had finished this very quickly on normal (:o), but went back over the last week to get the Ghost Protocol weapon skins by playing through on Insane... the last boss gave us (4 randomers online) some amount of trouble. Next hardest part was Act 4, Ch 5 when you fight the Armored Kantus for the first time. Played on Arcade mode, I can't imagine doing it in regular story mode. Ended up getting 5 achievements for my efforts last night, including the one for my first Onyx medal :)

The Armoured Kantus can be a pain if you do not know how do deal with them efficiently.
    Hit them with an explosive to stun them and force them to roar. When they do this, headshot them with a torque bow or boomshot.
    Or if you can get close enough you could skip the need to stun them and tag them with a frag grenade. Both tactics are instakills

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Anyone know will this be Raams shadow be available at midnight? Or do we have to wait for it to be the 13th in America?

CORaven wrote: »
    The Armoured Kantus can be a pain if you do not know how do deal with them efficiently.
    Hit them with an explosive to stun them and force them to roar. When they do this, headshot them with a torque bow or boomshot.
    Or if you can get close enough you could skip the need to stun them and tag them with a frag grenade. Both tactics are instakills

Ya, I knew exactly how to deal with them. Another handy method is to down a Theron, then when they're busy reviving, grenade tag them. To say I was playing with an incompetent shower of b*%tards would be putting it mildly. People firing lancers at them from cover, etc....

Complete flip side to that is the team I did most of Act 5 with were amazing. Like, "clearing chapters on insane without ever failing" amazing. I was the weak link there... :o

Anyone know will this be Raams shadow be available at midnight? Or do we have to wait for it to be the 13th in America?

It's not a bad piece of DLC:
    http://www.gamersireland.ie/?p=12107

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

its gone live now for anyone who is looking for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 noobacus

i opened gears and it said you are a season pass holder and new content is available etc etc would you like to download it now so i said yes. i wasnt really paying attention after that and now iv been charged for it. stupid of me i know but is there any possible way this can be reversed?

Season pass people, put off downloading it. You may be charged.

I should be online with this later (if they get the issues resolved with the download)... Anybody fancy trying to get some of the achievements, like the team specific ones. From this DLC or the last one.

Invite me: Burning Eclipse. :D

Will be on from half 8 onwards I reckon.

• Advertisement

Will hopefully be online too!

Was gonna play the campaign 1st solo, but if you are trying to get a few of the online achievements, that be great.

If I make it on, I will send you a message, might have a meeting to go to this evening, waiting to hear if its on.

Safe to d/l.

I should be online with this tonight, but if not then definitely tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Micorsoft have said they are looking into why season pass people are getting directed to paid link, so good chance of getting money back.

On the DLC itself, its very good. You can play as Raam but he is boring enough thankfully most of it you are playing as Zeta squad. Fingers crossed this is a test the water for a prequel trilogy kind of thing.

Not sure if the price would suit everyone, but I can honestly say that I really enjoyed Raam's Shadow. It is a nice change from the on disk campaign and is more like playing GoW1 with some old enemies making a return, and no lambent. The two half levels where you play as the alternative squad is interesting although I have only played as P1 and P2.
    Boss fights are good, but not as challenging as I liked.
    Final boss fight draws inspiration from both fights against Raam in GoW1 and Skorge in GoW2, and the pre-final boss more so from Skorge.

Overall, it's nice for those who have played the older games.

Mr. Freeze (GT: The Batman IRL) and I (GT: Seamarse) were online this morning trying to get 5 people for one of the achievements but could only get 3 players including ourselves. We we're saying that we should try get a boards group together during the week so certainly add us. When were you thinking of trying for these?

Mr. Freeze (GT: The Batman IRL) and I (GT: Seamarse) were online this morning trying to get 5 people for one of the achievements but could only get 3 players including ourselves. We we're saying that we should try get a boards group together during the week so certainly add us. When were you thinking of trying for these?

I added you but the batman's FL is full.. This week I'm not around in the evenings mon or tue but Ill be available wed, thur and fri. :)

So sorry I missed you this morning :( I wasn't at the console, but was logged in. Would have loved to get it.
    I added you but the batman's FL is full.. This week I'm not around in the evenings mon or tue but Ill be available wed, thur and fri. :)

Add me too please. GT is Burning Eclipse :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday evening is fine for me. Eclipse? Freeze? who are you guys fixed for that night?

Advertisement