Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Mr. Freeze (GT: The Batman IRL) and I (GT: Seamarse) were online this morning trying to get 5 people for one of the achievements but could only get 3 players including ourselves. We we're saying that we should try get a boards group together during the week so certainly add us. When were you thinking of trying for these?

I added you but the batman's FL is full.. This week I'm not around in the evenings mon or tue but Ill be available wed, thur and fri. :)

Will do a clear out off my friends list (I won't cull any boardies ;) ) this week and add you!

I've training Wednesday & might be on later that night! I won't really know till the night!

I have all the Raam points now but happy to help ye whenever!

add me: ll fleadh ll need 5 to do it :D

Added you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Added you there.

Thanks mate, you'll see me online quite a bit, going through one of the phases where I'm a bit addicted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just got back into playing this. Loving the free maps! Makes you wonder how Activision can charge you €15 for a map pack for CoD. Havent got any of the new content as im not mad into Horde or the Campaign but ill play some Horde if any of yez have a spot needed filling. Play versus mostly though and will defo buy any versus DLC

Say i do want to buy all the content would i be better off buying the Season Pass? I read on gamefaqs that buying it before the DLC was released would = good value, but buying it after some DLC was released wouldnt be good value. Hows that work?

GT: Quetzal84

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

feel free to add me too, im hoping to get back into gears a bit more over christmas when i have a bit more free time
    GT jwallace007

• Advertisement

New DLC

Source: X360A.org

Written Wednesday, December 21, 2011 By Lee Bradley

Microsoft has released details of the third batch of DLC for Epic's manly man-shooter, Gears of War 3. Called Fenix Rising, it features new maps, new character skins and a new XP system.

There are five new maps included in the pack, each of which draws from the history of the series. Academy is set in the military school Marcus was destined to attend, but defied tradition by skipping. Anvil takes place in the destroyed fortress of Anvegad, while Depths is where Marcus' dad, Adam Fenix, was held captive.

Meanwhile, Escalation takes place in and around the Fenix household and The Slab is the prison that Dom broke Marcus out of way back in Gears 1. All five of the maps are playable across Versus Multiplayer, Horde and Beast Mode.

The skins on offer are spread across COG and Locust designs. The pack offers up Recruit Clayton, Thrashball Cole, Savage Marauder and Savage Kantus character models.

Perhaps of most interest to the ultra-hardcore, however, is the new levelling system. This allows players to effectively "Prestige" once they hit level 100. Chose to do this and your experience and rank will be reset and your rank icon colour will change. This is possible up to three times, moving from Bronze to Red, Green and then Gold.

Furthermore, each Prestige level (Epic are calling it "Re-up") after Bronze also awards the player an exclusive, custom weapon skin. These are:

Re-Up Plasma – Animated flowing plasma in gold.
    Re-Up Omen – Shiny, red Omen.
    Re-Up Electric – Animated, golden electric shocks.
    Out on Jan 17th, the Marcus Rising pack will set you back 800 MSP. Owners of th Season Pass get it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Got this game yesterday, nice change from COD. Seems tough on multi-player, why are there bots in it to make up the numbers? Bit odd. Never seems to be a vote on maps, just random ones pop up.

Seems a bit of a messy presentation but the gameplay is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Got this game yesterday, nice change from COD. Seems tough on multi-player, why are there bots in it to make up the numbers? Bit odd. Never seems to be a vote on maps, just random ones pop up.

Seems a bit of a messy presentation but the gameplay is good.

Bots are there because the maps are to large for just 2Vs3 games, and trust me, they are not as fun as playing a full 4/5 player team. Plus there are useless people who let the team down in ranked matches through rage quiting, so I they are there to limit a team's disadvantage.

There is map voting for ranked matches, but for newb friendly player matches the maps are on 'cycle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Well I am being put into matches with guys ranked from 1 to 100. And getting plastered by Gnasher shotguns. Match-making seems a bit off. How can I play against a guy who's been playing this since mid-September?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

add me: ll fleadh ll need 5 to do it :D

Add me GarRo247 I won't be on it till I get XBL and some MP from Santa :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

The numbers that play it here in this part of the world means that the trueskill rating system has little or no impact. You have three choices:
    - Play private matches with bots or friends (easy)
    - Play public where it really is hit or miss who you play against
    - Play ranked where it is mainly mid to high tier players.

My advice, if you want it, is to simply get better. Play public warzone or execution matches (what ever ruleset you prefer - execution is more forgiving).
    Tag along with someone and just cover them. Learn where they go, what routes are quicker to what weapons. And when you die watch to see what they do, learn what they do in certain situations.

Practice how to active reload and see how active reloads effect each weapon.
    - Boomshot = larger splash damage
    - Torkbow = less time to charge and larger splash damage
    - Scorcher = larger range
    - Boltok = faster fire rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

CORaven wrote: »
    The numbers that play it here in this part of the world means that the trueskill rating system has little or no impact. You have three choices:
    - Play private matches with bots or friends (easy)
    - Play public where it really is hit or miss who you play against
    - Play ranked where it is mainly mid to high tier players.

My advice, if you want it, is to simply get better. Play public warzone or execution matches (what ever ruleset you prefer - execution is more forgiving).
    Tag along with someone and just cover them. Learn where they go, what routes are quicker to what weapons. And when you die watch to see what they do, learn what they do in certain situations.

Practice how to active reload and see how active reloads effect each weapon.
    - Boomshot = larger splash damage
    - Torkbow = less time to charge and larger splash damage
    - Scorcher = larger range
    - Boltok = faster fire rate

This is very sound advice! This is my second Gears game and the first one that i played online competitively versus other players. I was getting creamed by people wall bouncing all over the shop with Gnashers, but playing these guys is actually the best experience you can get. If forces you to up your game, now i'm wall bouncing all over the shop gibbing people with the Gnasher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Solid advice there from CORaven! This is the first gears game where I've spent many hours playing MP. I'm by no means a great player, but I'd guess I'm above average.

Anybody new to the game, do exactly what CORaven recommends, and I promise within a week you'll be much better for it!

Advertisement