Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Whats happening man

Midnight release is handy as you don't have to rush to the shop the next day to buy it. Traffic is a killer during the day.

Go on Ebay kid you will get it no problem there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭BARRETT.50BMG

TheDoc wrote: »
    Hmv were taking pre orders but giving peio to people who queued last night.

Basically misunderstanding how pre orders woek.

So im going in this morning hoping there is a copy there

Is this true . . . . . . . stinks of BS imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I have the epic edition pre-ordered, will be picking it up in the morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wait, is the midnight launch tonight or was it last night? released on the 20th yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

My copy is still sitting in a depot in Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Four GOW3 threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

3 1/2 weeks off for a game is absolutely insane. Sorry but that has to be one of the saddest most unproductive wastes of time I've ever heard of. Sorry I never troll but that is just mental. A month. Your taking a month off work to play your xbox???? Jesus H.....

Ah well, more power to ya, it's your time I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 snoopeasystreet

Any stores breaking release date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Gamestop: €55.99
    HMV: €41.99
    Smyths: €49.99
    Xtra Vision: €49.99
    Game: Wont tell their prices :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Gamestop: €55.99
    HMV: €41.99
    Smyths: €49.99
    Xtra Vision: €49.99
    Game: Wont tell their prices :rolleyes:

Know if any of these shops are doing trade-in deals? I know Gamestop have a, trade 3 get it for €3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

My copy arrived in the post... Can't wait to get home from work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My copy arrived in the post... Can't wait to get home from work!!
    haven't even got a dispatch message and I have express shipping...maybe there's more chance of getting it early by regular post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Liam O wrote: »
    haven't even got a dispatch message and I have express shipping...maybe there's more chance of getting it early by regular post?

I bought from Gamestop.ie, ordered Thursday, it was dispatched Friday. Sometimes they don't update the order status I hear. I also went with express delivery,

I'm from Limerick and, I just gone off the phone with a person that i presume was working for Gamestop (Cresent Shopping centre) I asked is Gamestop opening at Midnight for Gears3

Yes. So people who wish to get the game at midnight may do so from this store at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm from Limerick and, I just gone off the phone with a person that i presume was working for Gamestop (Cresent Shopping centre) I asked is Gamestop opening at Midnight for Gears3

Yes. So people who wish to get the game at midnight may do so from this store at least.

I think both of them are opening...I saw them announcing it for the parkway one as well...
    as long as mine is there when I get there for 4pm I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Got mine this morning from Gamestop, regular post, ordered Wednesday. Loving it :D

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Got mine this morning from Gamestop, regular post, ordered Wednesday. Loving it :D
    screw you :mad:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blinkythezom64

the parkway have cancelled their midnight release they arent opening till 8am =/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

So my copy arrived while I was in college but my postbox couldnt take the package size so my neighbour signed for it and she's away from the house since 2.... FML :pac:

Got a dispatch email there a few minutes ago...What courier do Gamestop use? And what time do they stop delivering? I'm desperate for this game :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Got a phone call asking if I wanted to pick my copy up tonight in Game in Limerick if they opened. They where looking for numbers to see if it was worth while. Told them I'd wait till tomorrow.

Many on this buying the ultimate edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Hmv in cork are opening up at midnight :)

Jofspring wrote: »
    Got a phone call asking if I wanted to pick my copy up tonight in Game in Limerick if they opened. They where looking for numbers to see if it was worth while. Told them I'd wait till tomorrow.

Many on this buying the ultimate edition?

Ultimate Edition? From what I heard and read. Epic have three editions only_ Standard, Limited, and Epic, with epic costing the most out of the three.

I will get annoyed, if they decided not to open, having turned up. I look like a right fool standing outside a closed shop at midnight lol. A its worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ultimate Edition? From what I heard and read. Epic have three editions only_ Standard, Limited, and Epic, with epic costing the most out of the three.

I will get annoyed, if they decided not to open, having turned up. I look like a right fool standing outside a closed shop at midnight lol. A its worth the risk.

Ya sorry epic is what I meant. For some reason I'm tempted by it.

I only pre-ordered th limited but they may have a few epics available.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm just back from the Launch party for the game - I can put my hand on my heart and say "it's another Gears of War game" and that's about it really. It looks pretty, it's visceral and meaty, but I just can't connect with this series, I find it too fiddley and, well, broken because in my mind, a game like this should be First Person and it should be played with a mouse and keyboard.

I'm sure Gears fans will love it, but I'm afraid I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm just back from the Launch party for the game - I can put my hand on my heart and say "it's another Gears of War game" and that's about it really. It looks pretty, it's visceral and meaty, but I just can't connect with this series, I find it too fiddley and, well, broken because in my mind, a game like this should be First Person and it should be played with a mouse and keyboard.

I'm sure Gears fans will love it, but I'm afraid I can't.

its those exact reasons why I like it, the characters feel properly weighty and you have to think about your movements, the cover system wouldnt work in 1st person either, sure you wouldnt know what you're shooting at

or are pc gamers just incapable of using joypads :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Came home half an hour ago and it was waiting for me. Gonna install it to the hard-drive, throw a lasagne into me, and pull an all-nighter. Limited Edition is niiiiice. Box is really soft to touch, nice designs on it, the COG medal is really sweet - a really hefty piece. The flag, as shown in pictures previously, is as expected, tiny. The little paper bits don't add much to the story (although I don't know how anyone could top Halsey's journal with Halo Reach). Still, nice few bits :) FYI, for anyone who ordered with Gamestop, don't throw out your packaging straight away - my Commando Dom code came on an A4 sheet with my invoice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

krudler wrote: »
    its those exact reasons why I like it, the characters feel properly weighty and you have to think about your movements, the cover system wouldnt work in 1st person either, sure you wouldnt know what you're shooting at

or are pc gamers just incapable of using joypads :pac:

The cover system is a core part of Gears, I'll grant you, but I always found it too fiddley and that the character would attach himself to the wrong thing for cover (and even in the brief 5 mins I spent playing it earlier, it did just that). I prefer a more fluid and free flowing game (I was raised on Quake World, and they don't come much more free flowing than that) and find the stop-start-stop of the cover based stuff really annoying. More importantly, a cover system felt like being a big girl's blouse to me and so not wanting to suddenly decide I wanted to spend my time picking out lace doilies to match the porcelain doll collection that seems to be a requisite of being that sort of big girls blouse, I put down the controller in disgust.

Were this an FPS game, the cover system would have to be done away with completely in order for it to work, but I feel it'd just be A.N. Other boring console FPS and so it simply wouldn't sell or be as popular as it is now.

I'm not hating on Gears, I just don't get it. I really did not like the first one - I could not work out how on earth they thought your character model blocking a HUGE chunk of the screen (and therefore the things you're meant to be shooting at) was a good idea and I stopped playing it after about 10 minutes. It actually made me angry that someone was so retarded as to think this, big girls blouse ducking behind cover method of slaughtering enemies in their thousands was the way to make a shooter.

I was fortunate enough, in subsequent years, to borrow the second from a friend and I played through the campaign over a couple of days of Christmas holidays and this time found it a far more enjoyable experience because they appeared to have addressed the character model blocking the screen thing I had issues with (but tbh, I think it's more a case of I'd bought my own XBox at this stage and had played a lot of GTA and so had gotten to grips with the 3rd person shooting console style) and it felt like a much better game overall. It was enjoyable enough and should an opportunity present itself for me to borrow this third game to have a jaunt through the campaign, I may give it a lash.

Advertisement