Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Shiminay wrote: »
    The cover system is a core part of Gears, I'll grant you, but I always found it too fiddley and that the character would attach himself to the wrong thing for cover (and even in the brief 5 mins I spent playing it earlier, it did just that). I prefer a more fluid and free flowing game (I was raised on Quake World, and they don't come much more free flowing than that) and find the stop-start-stop of the cover based stuff really annoying. More importantly, a cover system felt like being a big girl's blouse to me and so not wanting to suddenly decide I wanted to spend my time picking out lace doilies to match the porcelain doll collection that seems to be a requisite of being that sort of big girls blouse, I put down the controller in disgust.

Were this an FPS game, the cover system would have to be done away with completely in order for it to work, but I feel it'd just be A.N. Other boring console FPS and so it simply wouldn't sell or be as popular as it is now.

I'm not hating on Gears, I just don't get it. I really did not like the first one - I could not work out how on earth they thought your character model blocking a HUGE chunk of the screen (and therefore the things you're meant to be shooting at) was a good idea and I stopped playing it after about 10 minutes. It actually made me angry that someone was so retarded as to think this, big girls blouse ducking behind cover method of slaughtering enemies in their thousands was the way to make a shooter.

I was fortunate enough, in subsequent years, to borrow the second from a friend and I played through the campaign over a couple of days of Christmas holidays and this time found it a far more enjoyable experience because they appeared to have addressed the character model blocking the screen thing I had issues with (but tbh, I think it's more a case of I'd bought my own XBox at this stage and had played a lot of GTA and so had gotten to grips with the 3rd person shooting console style) and it felt like a much better game overall. It was enjoyable enough and should an opportunity present itself for me to borrow this third game to have a jaunt through the campaign, I may give it a lash.

thats a much more articulate response than I was prepared for, dammit :pac:

it is very stop start but I like that part, it feels like you're advancing through the enemy rather than charging about spraying at anything that moves, well you can do that too but I prefer the move, cover, fire, move up, cover fire aspect.

I'm not expecting more than lots of gunfire, big setpieces and some epic moments, its a fun, arcadey shooter that doesnt take itself too seriously and thats fine by me, roll on midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I bought gears one ages ago, played a little, didnt like it, stashed it away. Took it out another time, again, bored, forgot about it. Yesterday and today I played through it all. Its shockingly bad in my eyes.

Its sooo linear and formulaic, graphics arent great, and the whole cover system is just clunky. There was no fun bit. A mate of mine is a massive fan of the series and I have no idea why. Pick a path, find a wall, up, shoot, down, reload, repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anyone know if Gamestop Dundalk are opening at midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dunny5000

Is galway gamestop open at midnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

WHOOOOO can't wait to get into this game baby...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Every Gamestop in the country will be open for the launch guys. Only select Xtra-Vision stores will open.

Every Gamestop in the country will be open for the launch guys.
    Not all of them are opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Healium wrote: »
    Came home half an hour ago and it was waiting for me. Gonna install it to the hard-drive, throw a lasagne into me, and pull an all-nighter. Limited Edition is niiiiice. Box is really soft to touch, nice designs on it, the COG medal is really sweet - a really hefty piece. The flag, as shown in pictures previously, is as expected, tiny. The little paper bits don't add much to the story (although I don't know how anyone could top Halsey's journal with Halo Reach). Still, nice few bits :) FYI, for anyone who ordered with Gamestop, don't throw out your packaging straight away - my Commando Dom code came on an A4 sheet with my invoice

It also told me not to play before the 19th:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    It also told me not to play before the 19th:pac:

That was because there was a risk that anyone with Veteran Gear might not get their unlocks. They were putting out a day one patch. But that came out early this weekend, so you're good to go

Got the game, no sleep now :D :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Some dickhead skipped the whole queue in Waterford.
    That dickhead was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Is there only 10 maps in the game for multiplayer?
    Kind of expecting them to top the amount from GoW2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

mayordenis wrote: »
    That dickhead was me.

Ha.. I did the same in Swords, walked in at 11.55, top of the queue to make the payment, clock struck 12 so ur man gave me the game.. first to walk out with it and the queue was out the door.. Genius.....

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

mayordenis wrote: »
    That dickhead was me.

Hahaha I haven't lol'd at something on here for a while! Hahahaha

Epic edition in the morning. I could care less if people don't like this game. Id destroy you in quake 3 and unreal tournament. Probably smash your pasty in counter strike to. I'm a pc gamer through and through, have my 570gtx installed for BF3. But I dusted the **** off my 360 when I heard gears3 was coming. This game is ****ing amazing and a welcome change to the endless stream of dull 1st person arena fests. Engaging in this game requires a lot of thought. You can't rely on luck or spray and pray. You need some skills just like being a rail gun king in the quake series. Or an ak master in cs.

This game is pure metal! In the words of Fenix, "SHHIIT YEEEAH"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Epic edition in the morning. I could care less if people don't like this game. Id destroy you in quake 3 and unreal tournament. Probably smash your pasty in counter strike to. I'm a pc gamer through and through, have my 570gtx installed for BF3. But I dusted the **** off my 360 when I heard gears3 was coming. This game is ****ing amazing and a welcome change to the endless stream of dull 1st person arena fests. Engaging in this game requires a lot of thought. You can't rely on luck or spray and pray. You need some skills just like being a rail gun king in the quake series. Or an ak master in cs.

Well said. That's the thing I like about Gears, you can hide all you want but at the end of the day you have to come out and fight. Can't wait to get this tomorrow, Gears 2 is the game I play the most and I've heard nothing but good things about the beta :D

For anyone curious.... One Shot beats meat shield bahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SilentHunter

Guys I need a little help. I just after coming back from the Midnight Launch and played beast mode with a friend.

Then I remember that gamestop was having commando dom as a pre-order bonus. I didn't get a card for the code and I couldn't find it on my receipt.

Did anyone else have this problem or did my gamestop become stupid for not handing it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Guys I need a little help. I just after coming back from the Midnight Launch and played beast mode with a friend.

Then I remember that gamestop was having commando dom as a pre-order bonus. I didn't get a card for the code and I couldn't find it on my receipt.

Did anyone else have this problem or did my gamestop become stupid for not handing it out?

Gamestop are balls when it comes to pre-order bonuses they're not giving em' unless you ask for it. You better come back to em' tomorrow and ask for the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Notorioux wrote: »
    Gamestop are balls when it comes to pre-order bonuses they're not giving em' unless you ask for it. You better come back to em' tomorrow and ask for the code.

Bring the receipt!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I think both of them are opening...I saw them announcing it for the parkway one as well...
    as long as mine is there when I get there for 4pm I'll be happy.

I'd say the Parkway cancelled their opening...they rang me yesterday evening to mention that they were opening at 8am this morning...no mention of a midnight opening..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Healium wrote: »
    For anyone curious.... One Shot beats meat shield bahahaha

Love that One Shot!

Played about 3 hours of this yesterday (thank you gamestop.ie). I love the Gears series, and this is no different. Straight into MP, then a little campaign, then back to MP so I could get to level 10 before the game officially launched :)

Also delighted that I got the Lambency achievement before I got to 10 kills, demonstrating my love of all things chainsaw related.

Anybody notice the subtle differences between the beta maps and the final versions?

Hoping to convince a few mates to pick this up and have a LAN to do the campaign on Insane, 4 player co-op!

I love Gears of War!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Loving it so far.

Was playing 2 on Insane up to yesterday, and started this on Normal, its way too easy, gonna restart it tonight on Hardcore to get the most out of it.

The new Carmine brother is great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Got a nice surprise when it was 40.99 in HMV :)

In bag, looking forward to getting stuck in later. With chainsaw bayonetts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Played a bit of this. So far so good.

Been playing it in 3D so far, and it looks good, but will give the regular HD a go, and see how it compares soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Are serious? If not then I am sorry in advance.

I am pc gamer, I love to be one, but bow I see why fellow console gamers see pc gamers as douchebags.

As for skill needed in gow... Well you needs as much skills in gow as you need skill to please a rubber sex doll.

Yup I played it, and it's not a skill game at all.

Not bashing gears for everyone lads, if you like it, then I am very happy for you, just this post made me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm hoping everyone in Limerick was too mean to order the limited version..forgot to place it when I pre-ordered at gamestop :(

Stayed up until after 6AM playing this :D Beast mode is fun, but it's crying out for some DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

What's the story with online horde mode? Keeps telling me no one worldwide is playing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Are serious? If not then I am sorry in advance.

I am pc gamer, I love to be one, but bow I see why fellow console gamers see pc gamers as douchebags.

As for skill needed in gow... Well you needs as much skills in gow as you need skill to please a rubber sex doll.

Yup I played it, and it's not a skill game at all.

Not bashing gears for everyone lads, if you like it, then I am very happy for you, just this post made me lol.
    I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. Whilst BlastedGlute comes across as someone who's trying to over compensate for something in his post, to suggest that GoW requires no skill is simply incorrect. There's a knack to the duck and cover system it uses (the same knack that gives you the eye for matching doilies and porcelain dolls as I described above :p). It's a game with it's own skill set really, the only thing I've played seriously that comes close is the action stuff in Mass Effect 2. But against the AI, this is, to me, a system that's far more forgiving. It's also why I'd have to agree with the folks who suggest you ned to give a lot more thought to how you manage your engagements in multiplayer, you have to allow for the parameters (I almost said limitations, but that's not correct) of the control system.

I consider myself a pretty well experienced gamer with a reasonable skill level at a lot of games, but I got pasted hard in the 10 mins of Hoarde mode I played last night. A no-skill game wouldn't have done this to me. So I wonder how many unsatisfied sex dolls you're leaving in your wake Shadow? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I'm hoping everyone in Limerick was too mean to order the limited version..forgot to place it when I pre-ordered at gamestop :(

I didnt bother preordering it and could only get the regular one in the crscent, I'm not enough of a Gears fan to warrant spending the extra money on it (saving that for MW3 and Uncharted sexy editions) but it did look nice, the epic edition is fooking huuuuuge

Advertisement