Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

krudler wrote: »
    I didnt bother preordering it and could only get the regular one in the crscent, I'm not enough of a Gears fan to warrant spending the extra money on it (saving that for MW3 and Uncharted sexy editions) but it did look nice, the epic edition is fooking huuuuuge

dude..you do know that MW3 is going to suck and that BF3 is the one to go for? :D
    Only kidding ...I like MW as well...just not MW2/3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    dude..you do know that MW3 is going to suck and that BF3 is the one to go for? :D
    Only kidding ...I like MW as well...just not MW2/3 :(

am getting BF3 as well :D MW3 is COD's last hurrah for me, unless the next one is a drastic overhaul I wont bother, I hated Blops after a while traded after like 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. Whilst BlastedGlute comes across as someone who's trying to over compensate for something in his post, to suggest that GoW requires no skill is simply incorrect. There's a knack to the duck and cover system it uses (the same knack that gives you the eye for matching doilies and porcelain dolls as I described above :p). It's a game with it's own skill set really, the only thing I've played seriously that comes close is the action stuff in Mass Effect 2. But against the AI, this is, to me, a system that's far more forgiving. It's also why I'd have to agree with the folks who suggest you ned to give a lot more thought to how you manage your engagements in multiplayer, you have to allow for the parameters (I almost said limitations, but that's not correct) of the control system.

I consider myself a pretty well experienced gamer with a reasonable skill level at a lot of games, but I got pasted hard in the 10 mins of Hoarde mode I played last night. A no-skill game wouldn't have done this to me. So I wonder how many unsatisfied sex dolls you're leaving in your wake Shadow? :pac:

nice text, but my answer is only one:

barrel roll shotgun trololololol.

and please, no bull**** about retro lancer taking care of barrel rollers, its bull****.

game has great mechanics, but it can all go to bin, as no one is using it. using the cover puts you in worse position, then a person who is just rolling. he has way better mobility, where you are just stuck. plus he can just jump over you and stun you. Any good game can be destroyed by community and the way people play it.

yup, i see you didnt got it. its impossible to satisfy a sex doll, same as having any skill in GoW.

Its not a game for me, sorry, but if you lads having fun, then have fun!

my post was more about that godness of PC gamers elite bananza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

V9 wrote: »
    What's the story with online horde mode? Keeps telling me no one worldwide is playing.

It said that for me last night, too. Same for Beast. Still got into games, though. Just go into Matchmaking anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

anyone able to tell me how much tesco and xtra vision are charging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Ok lets go guys, its multiplayer tips time. This is the first Gears game im gonna play multiplayer on cause of the fact Gears2 matchmaking sucked hard. At the moment im relying on my RAW gaming ability to survive.

How the hell are people using the gnasher so effectively? Seems like 1-3 shots and im dead when i go up against people using it, but when i attempt the same thing it just doesnt work for me :mad: Seems hipfiring is the way to go with shottys.

Gotta be some pro Irish Gears players on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Killzone is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

anyone getting the season pass thats out? i wonder is it worth it or is it good value for what we might get. i know its 4 dlc's but i would hate to get it and then 1 dlc ends up being 1 or 2 new maps

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Killzone is better.

Wow what a dumb ass. How can you compare a first person shooter to a third person shooter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

bonescap wrote: »
    anyone able to tell me how much tesco and xtra vision are charging?

I paid €50 for mine in Xtra vision without any pre order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Ok lets go guys, its multiplayer tips time. This is the first Gears game im gonna play multiplayer on cause of the fact Gears2 matchmaking sucked hard. At the moment im relying on my RAW gaming ability to survive.

How the hell are people using the gnasher so effectively? Seems like 1-3 shots and im dead when i go up against people using it, but when i attempt the same thing it just doesnt work for me :mad: Seems hipfiring is the way to go with shottys.

Gotta be some pro Irish Gears players on here...

Gonna join you on this one! I love the multiplayer, but im really suck at it. :( lol Lucky enough to get 2/3 kills

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

dmcdante wrote: »
    Wow what a dumb ass. How can you compare a first person shooter to a third person shooter?

Because obvious troll is obvious (and not all that clever it seems) so it's best to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Got the game there this morning and I have put a few hours into it. 50% campaign, 50% competitive multiplayer.
    Campaign is good so far. The 4 player, drop in drop out is a great feature. The only two things I could pick wrong with it is the difficulty settings can only be accessed by selecting to play a new game solo and then join another players lobby. That and in hardcore mode, ammo is really rare. A few times I have had to resort to melee only.

Multiplayer is great. A nice balanced/"everything is overpowered equally" game. The visuals are bright, may too much, especially in comparison to GoW1+2. I am disappointed however due to my expectations.
    There are only ten maps to play on which is a bit of a low count. GoW2 came with 15 maps on release to compare it to. People have pulled a few maps off the disc allready. There are some videos on youtube of people playing Blood Drive :/
    Some of my favourite multiplayer characters are not there. RAAM, Scourge and the old Theron Guard have been removed.
    The Retro Lancer has gotten a serious nerf since the beta. It is no longer an equal to the shotgun with it hipfire made less accurate. That an its ADS recoil is now fairly high.

Despite these drawbacks, I am enjoying the game and I intend to stick with it for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Going to play my copy after the match tonight.

Gears isnt the best game to come out of the blocks, but imo the series so far has probably had the best single player campaigns I've played on the xbox 360, and it is what I'm looking forward to most.

Although this time I'm going to give multiplayer a proper shot.

Its different and its better for it, if it was a FPS with a mouse and keyboard, it just wouldnt be as good, you get so much more with the cover system and just how it works.

Its not everyones cup of tea, however its incorrect to say its poor, **** or a bad game. Its a tremendous series, this one has got nothing but rave reviews so I've no doubt it will be amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

a game like this should be First Person and it should be played with a mouse and keyboard.

I have to respectfully disagree there. Third person games are often superior on consoles control-wise. And Gears of War is very much designed with consoles in mind. The weight of the characters, the movement and cover system, even the weapons are designed with the 360 pad in mind rather than a mouse and keyboard. It simply isn't an FPS, and just because it features shooting it doesn't mean it should be compared, because ultimately Gears of War (and others like Resident Evil 4 or Vanquish) are games that aren't made for PC, and the whole design is dictated by that.

Anyway, very much enjoying it so far. Campaign seems meaty in both length and gore - took me a good three - four hours to clear Act 1. The locations are richer than the previous games so far (a bit of colour does a lot) and hoping they'll have something to equal the nighttime level of GoW1. The
    ziplining
    was a nice touch.

Multiplayer seems excellent. Only a quick whirl in TDM but was able to hold my own to much relief :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You're absolutely right of course, it is built with the 360 pad in mind and it shows. I guess the point I wasn't making very well was that I prefer FPS in general and felt that this was an interesting enough universe they've created and that I'd liked to have explored it more.

As I said, I'm not hating on Gears, it's just not my kind of game :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to respectfully disagree there. Third person games are often superior on consoles control-wise.

Find that if it's combat based then the gameplays pretty much the same with keyboard and mouse as with a gamepad but for TPS keyboard and mouse are better. GoW on the PC played great on the PC. GoW however is definitely well optimised for controllers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You're absolutely right of course, it is built with the 360 pad in mind and it shows. I guess the point I wasn't making very well was that I prefer FPS in general and felt that this was an interesting enough universe they've created and that I'd liked to have explored it more.

As I said, I'm not hating on Gears, it's just not my kind of game :)

And you're more than entitled to that opinion. Hell, but all accounts I should dislike Gears of War, but it all just comes together and creates a dumb fun, guilty pleasure for me. Sure, Vanquish took it up a notch, but there's something about the weighty, repetitive combat that clicks for me in a way it doesn't in, say, Halo.

Glad to see they're doing a little better on character development here though (the Cole Train flashbacks are dare I suggest strangely involving), although we're still hovering around 'semi-offensive stereotypes' :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Santiago and his wife plot in GoW 2 should have been laughably bad and misplaced but it caught me off gaurd how well it was handled in the end. Hoping to be caught off gaurd by the characterisation in GoW 3 as well!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Santiago and his wife plot in GoW 2 should have been laughably bad and misplaced but it caught me off gaurd how well it was handled in the end. Hoping to be caught off gaurd by the characterisation in GoW 3 as well!

I do admire how balls-out they went with the ending of that particular subplot - it was a pretty frickin' intense scene. One of the few images that lingers in my mind from GoW2. That, and the annoying bit where you had to fight the giant worm thing in the tunnel :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Best part of the campaign by a mile! Cannot wait to get the third one now, hope it lives up to the hype. GoW was unreal online, thought the second one was lacking a bit in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Been playing MP for most of the day (Level 18) so i learned a few things and thus i bring tips.

1. Equip your Gnasher Shotgun
    2. Hipfire at a wall at close range
    3. Determine the centre of the pellet spread
    4. Take a sticker and stick it onto you monitor/TV in the centre of said spread
    5. ????
    6. Profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Hahaha I haven't lol'd at something on here for a while! Hahahaha

Epic edition in the morning. I could care less if people don't like this game. Id destroy you in quake 3 and unreal tournament. Probably smash your pasty in counter strike to. I'm a pc gamer through and through, have my 570gtx installed for BF3. But I dusted the **** off my 360 when I heard gears3 was coming. This game is ****ing amazing and a welcome change to the endless stream of dull 1st person arena fests. Engaging in this game requires a lot of thought. You can't rely on luck or spray and pray. You need some skills just like being a rail gun king in the quake series. Or an ak master in cs.

This game is pure metal! In the words of Fenix, "SHHIIT YEEEAH"

Are serious? If not then I am sorry in advance.

I am pc gamer, I love to be one, but bow I see why fellow console gamers see pc gamers as douchebags.

As for skill needed in gow... Well you needs as much skills in gow as you need skill to please a rubber sex doll.

Yup I played it, and it's not a skill game at all.

Not bashing gears for everyone lads, if you like it, then I am very happy for you, just this post made me lol.

Hahaha guys i'm having a laugh its a ****ing gamę. And like all the games ive played, i do it for a laugh! Shadow ill make you rage quite in cod or cs. The only gamę i can hand on heart saw i blew chunks at was gears 1. Couldnt get a kill. This drove me insane and i beasted gears 2 until i got some skills down. I still suck at pvp in wow and pretty much all sports games. But fps on keys and mouse is like farting and burping to me! 3rd person on pc though, i dunno, lets just say lara croft doesnt handle well with a logitech and razer setup

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

(the Cole Train flashbacks are dare I suggest strangely involving), although we're still hovering around 'semi-offensive stereotypes' :P

thought it was very well done..I wouldn't say it's offensive in the least...Most big ass American footballers are black...think the Refrigerator...remember him :D

william-refrigerator-perry-264x350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

anyone getting the season pass thats out? i wonder is it worth it or is it good value for what we might get. i know its 4 dlc's but i would hate to get it and then 1 dlc ends up being 1 or 2 new maps
    Just wait. I'd been planning to buy it on day 1 since it was announced, but then I realized I'd just be using my gold skins and not the liquid metal one. So, I'll be waiting until November to see what the first DLC is like.

This has no time limit, unlike LA Noire. They said they may make it unavailable after the four DLCs are released, but you have months and months before that
    CORaven wrote: »
    That and in hardcore mode, ammo is really rare. A few times I have had to resort to melee only.
    Aside from taking more damage as you increase difficulty, one of the difficulty spikes is lowering the amount of ammo available. It's part of the challenge. However, I'm on Act 3 on Hardcore. (i) It's piss-easy (ii) I've never run out of ammo yet
    CORaven wrote: »
    There are some videos on youtube of people playing Blood Drive :/
    Some of my favourite multiplayer characters are not there. RAAM, Scourge and the old Theron Guard have been removed

They've cut a ton of content from the disc in order to charge for it as DLC. Blood Drive, Azura and something else were leaked and are on the disc.

Also pretty sure that the above characters will be DLC, too (apart from an older Theron Guard design). Not sure if it'll be paid, free, or part of Season Pass DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Are serious? If not then I am sorry in advance.

I am pc gamer, I love to be one, but bow I see why fellow console gamers see pc gamers as douchebags.

As for skill needed in gow... Well you needs as much skills in gow as you need skill to please a rubber sex doll.

Yup I played it, and it's not a skill game at all.

Not bashing gears for everyone lads, if you like it, then I am very happy for you, just this post made me lol.
    out of interest what was your K/D when you played it? (I assume you are talking about multiplayer)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

dont like the Lambent as enemies, I hate exploding enemies in games anyway and the combat doesnt feel as visceral as the first 2 when its yellow goo not blood flying all over the place. do you fight regular locust at all or is it all the lambent ones? I like that they've made it a bit more colourful than the endless greys and browns of the first two, its strange how they put stuff like shopping centres and the like in it.

I'm uttterly sh1t at the MP at the mo, how come its taking me 2-3 blast of a shotgun to kill someone and I'm dying in one shot? barely anyone uses rifles its all shotguns.

Healium wrote: »
    However, I'm on Act 3 on Hardcore. (i) It's piss-easy (ii) I've never run out of ammo yet

Jumped straight into hardcore too and surprised how easy it is. AI is smart enough that whenever your down you're swiftly saved. Sensible cover use and it's a breeze. Well, Act 1 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Jasus give it a chance, there is standard locust at less than the 1st hour mark. After that its a fairly even mix up to Act 3 where I am so far. Lovin the Mad Max 2 theme going on.

For MP you just have not found the shotgun sweet spot distance. I mainly use the retro lancer like I did in the beta. I can keep to shot gunners at bay no problem with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

krudler wrote: »
    dont like the Lambent as enemies, I hate exploding enemies in games anyway and the combat doesnt feel as visceral as the first 2 when its yellow goo not blood flying all over the place. do you fight regular locust at all or is it all the lambent ones? I like that they've made it a bit more colourful than the endless greys and browns of the first two, its strange how they put stuff like shopping centres and the like in it.

I'm uttterly sh1t at the MP at the mo, how come its taking me 2-3 blast of a shotgun to kill someone and I'm dying in one shot? barely anyone uses rifles its all shotguns.

That's just the Gears way in MP, when I spawn I switch straight to the shotty - put it that way!

Up to level 12 and have only been on a couple of hours. You can really tell the difference from Gears 2, everything feels a lot smoother.

Also the Matchmaking in general has taken a massive step up. The dedicated servers are working, my connection is very poor at the moment and I'm still finding it very playable. They've finally copied a lot of things from COD in how to have a successful multiplayer.

Can't wait to start the Story mode. Waiting for my mate to sort out his connection and then gonna play it online with him. That's what it's built for I think..

Advertisement