Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Pretty much dominating all my online matches so far. Nearly always the top score on my team, yet I always seem to get the worst players on my team... chainsawers and people who dont even roadie run and the likes :rolleyes:

Loving getting back into the swing of things though, its been too long since I've played gears. Brings me back to 2006 :(

You would want to be pretty mad though to pay 2400 points or whatever it is for all the weapon skins...

Haven't touched the SP yet though. Just loving shot gunning my way through everyone with ease, level 17 after about 2 hours playing. Also, still loving the one shot from the beta. I think the mortar is overpowered also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Jasus give it a chance, there is standard locust at less than the 1st hour mark. After that its a fairly even mix up to Act 3 where I am so far. Lovin the Mad Max 2 theme going on.

For MP you just have not found the shotgun sweet spot distance. I mainly use the retro lancer like I did in the beta. I can keep to shot gunners at bay no problem with that.

Is it pretty useless at long range? Only had a few go's at it, prefer the normal lancer myself.

I also see the Hammer burst has a new aim feature - pretty cool..

I think they've also sorted out issues with the gnasher. Seems there is no blasting a person 3 times in a row perfectly and them still standing. Any time I've hit the sweet spot at close range it's made them disintegrate into a mess of blood and limbs! That was a big issue for me in Gears 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Tinie wrote: »
    Pretty much dominating all my online matches so far. Nearly always the top score on my team, yet I always seem to get the worst players on my team... chainsawers and people who dont even roadie run and the likes :rolleyes:

First world problems :)

markfla wrote: »
    First world problems :)

Nah, Epic problems more like!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Just finished Act 3 of SP and I'm on Act 4.
    R.I.P Dom :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

krudler wrote: »
    dont like the Lambent as enemies, I hate exploding enemies in games anyway and the combat doesnt feel as visceral as the first 2 when its yellow goo not blood flying all over the place. do you fight regular locust at all or is it all the lambent ones? I like that they've made it a bit more colourful than the endless greys and browns of the first two, its strange how they put stuff like shopping centres and the like in it.

I'm uttterly sh1t at the MP at the mo, how come its taking me 2-3 blast of a shotgun to kill someone and I'm dying in one shot? barely anyone uses rifles its all shotguns.
    Yeah, the regular Locust are there.

I have to say, I love how we meet the Locust for the first time in Gears 3. I won't spoil it or anything, but I just thought it was great - so out of character for them, and it just really fit the atmosphere perfectly

Just looked up the song. Gears always has the perfect music for it's ads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Never even considered Gears of War but the Edge magazine 9 rating caught my eye - may pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Just finished Act 3 of SP and I'm on Act 4.
    R.I.P Dom :(
    I thought it was amazing that they used mad world for that part, hairs stood up for that part :)

I was playing multiplayer tonight and that song came on in the background, we were all sort of going wtf when it was playing in a multiplayer match :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Ah, just finished it a few minutes ago. Can't beat 2 nights of no sleep because you're stuck in a game! Quite satisfied, overall. Final boss battle was frickin' sweet. I paid no attention to any trailers, articles etc. before launch, so I had no idea where the story was headed. Then some asshole spoils every major part of the plot in less than 140 characters for me a few hours ago. It was right before I got to "that" scene mentioned above, too! Rage.

• Advertisement

Ok, i haven't read back in this thread, am very aware that people are not posting spoiler tags in places they really should, and i don't want to wreck it for myself, but here's my take on it so far. Apologies if i'm repeating anything that's already been said.

I'm just on the beginning of the 4th scene/level/whatever, after playing for 2 or 3 hours last night at a fairly easy pace, and I'm really enjoying it so far, the story seems to be quite engaging, and i can tell a lot is going to play out just based on the little story elements that have been teased so far. I'm enjoying the settings and locations. Things seem to be much more out and about in cities and the like from what i've played up to now, versus Gears 2 which was 80% underground and all looked the same, dark and brown.

It's very evident that Epic spent a lot of time putting polish on 3, the levels are VERY detailed, which is really good, I'm spending a lot of time wandering round just looking at stuff between the firefights (which are all very good, btw). If i have any niggles so far, the damn AI teammates constantly walking into my firing line would be my number one, but the Cole Train shouting a "get yo ass out the way" at them almost made it worth it :D.

A few of the AI one liners have been genuinely laugh out loud funny too, which is a nice touch.

I saw minor screen tearing and there are a few stutters in frame rate in some of the cinematics, but who cares, and a couple of times towards the end of a battle or 2 the last couple of enemies would just mysteriously vanish into thin air and it would be all over. I noticed this because one of them was just about to snipe me, and vanished before my eyes just as i was about to be brown bread. "Phew" and "huh?" at the same time.

Haven't played horde, or beast, or Co-op modes yet, i want to get the story experience first, but i'm looking forward to checking them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Well I'm after playing this for about 4-5 hours. I like it, story is top notch so far. Much better looking etc.

Multiplayer is much much better. I couldn't get going in gears 2 at all online. Couldn't kill anybody but now I'm doing grand online in 3. Getting kills, lancer is much better, still can't use the shotgun to save my life but that will get there. Maps are nice bright. Overall much better than 2. Also no lag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ok I got a bit more stuck into it last night, on act 2 now and the intitial levels on the ship were a little underwhleming but playing
    as Cole for a while was cool, the level on the bridge is stunning looking in places, unreal lighting effects, nice how it ties into the leviathan battle as well
    and yeah it is actually funny in places "ohhhh, bacon!" and Baird saying "loev heights, fcuking love em" before the zipline part.

still getting my ass kicked on MP though :/

Just finished it there. It's really great to finally have a game that has an excellent story, fantastic voice acting and a bunch of characters that you do get attached to! Also that the SP came first over the MP.

Boo to it being over. Gone up along with Dead Island as my game of the year.

Has it been revealed as to who the Queen was? Was she once human or was that a coincidence that she looked like she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

I'm on Act III killing
    Lambent Berserker
    This game is fooking amazing! my face was like this the whole time! :eek: Definitely one of the best and awesome campaign iv'e ever played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

heart multiplayer.

unheart when the phone starts ringing during it :mad:

Stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hate cheating bastards using auto fire controllers to revive themselves as you go to execute them when you downed them with a shotgun not 5 feet away, Nobody pushes the A button that fast :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

calex71 wrote: »
    Hate cheating bastards using auto fire controllers to revive themselves as you go to execute them when you downed them with a shotgun not 5 feet away, Nobody pushes the A button that fast :mad:
    Yeah noticed that in a couple of games, guys getting up extremely fast after being downed. I think they are using those auto fire controllers to keep pressing A so they can wall bounce non stop and keep jumping around like crazy. Hopefully they will patch that eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Just finished it there, gotta admit I loved it. The best in the series by far, in every department (graphics, controls, gameplay, story, music). Was quite impressed with the story, much better than I expected.

I kinda hope they do a Halo with this one, and start another trilogy, really is a great series!

Benzino wrote: »
    Just finished it there, gotta admit I loved it. The best in the series by far, in every department (graphics, controls, gameplay, story, music). Was quite impressed with the story, much better than I expected.

I kinda hope they do a Halo with this one, and start another trilogy, really is a great series!

Anyone who thinks this is "the end" is a fool, sure why would M$ sacrifice a golden cash cow like this lol, we'll be calling them douches for milking the series for all it's worth in a few years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Anyone who thinks this is "the end" is a fool, sure why would M$ sacrifice a golden cash cow like this lol, we'll be calling them douches for milking the series for all it's worth in a few years time.

To be honest, I don't think Epic will over-do the series if they have the ability not to do so.

Edit: To clarify, if Epic have any control over the number of games to be released in the franchise, I don't think they will milk it. In fact, I don't think Microsoft will either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

you mean having 60+ paid pieces of DLC within 24 hours isn't milking it??

Everytime i see someone with bought for gun skins I make it a mission to chainsaw them no matter how many times i die in the process of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Hahaha I have my golden lancer and my infected omen that came with the limited/epic edition. Won't be buying any skins that's a fact!

Although, I'll probably buy a gears shirt for my XBL avatar ;D

Any gears 3 clans out there, or just Xbox clans in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

loving this game playing horde just there with 2 guys from north carolina sound lads giving out **** about obama lol

game play is fantastic i love it..

www.irlclan.net

check it out

Hahaha I have my golden lancer and my infected omen that came with the limited/epic edition. Won't be buying any skins that's a fact!

If only someone had a clan in there sig.....

loving this game playing horde just there with 2 guys from north carolina sound lads giving out **** about obama lol

game play is fantastic i love it..
    Was playin earlier with 3 other guys who all quit at wave 50. Gimps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Enjoying it so far. Although I don't remember normal difficulty being this easy on the previous games.

Enjoying it so far. Although I don't remember normal difficulty being this easy on the previous games.

Normal was always a breeze. It's all about blowing through the campaign to get the story for me. I like to play thru on normal, to see what happens, then sharpen the skills in online MP and come back and play through on the tougher difficulties in campaign and co op again once I know how each level is laid out, what weapon choices to make for what's coming up, etc.

By the way, speaking of weapons, the oneshot is pants. Its the worst weapon in the game. So slow and unwieldy, and has a terrible field of view. It takes an age to zoom, locate a target, take him out, and reload it. Its a waste of time in a battle. I'd be much happier looking for headshots with the sniper, which is still great.

You unlock some stuff for free just by playing, reminds me to tart out my lad with the stuff I unlocked :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hardcore is surprisingly easy too. Mostly because they've designed the game around co-op, and thrown in pretty intelligent squad AI for us loners. There's been a few battles I've noticed they've got the last kill in, plus they're pretty reliable revivers.

Advertisement