Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only on Act 2 now (only bought it yesterday) but really enjoying it so far. Only niggle so far was
    when parts of the ship were on fire and you have to turn the valves to put them out. The new guy (Jace) stood on one part in flames and kept needing to be revived. I could stand right at the edge of the fire and revive him, but whenever I revived him, no matter how quickly I tried to move away to make him follow, gob****e would just stand there and burst into flames again. Eventually managed to walk off it that.

Other than that, fantastic game. Loving the Retro Lancer and enemy variety too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Hardcore is surprisingly easy too. Mostly because they've designed the game around co-op, and thrown in pretty intelligent squad AI for us loners. There's been a few battles I've noticed they've got the last kill in, plus they're pretty reliable revivers.

just finished it on hardcore and can concur with the difficulty (except the reviving part, i'd be crawling up their leg and then after about 5 seconds they'd get me up), not disappointed though, far from it!

my only real gripe: cut scenes kicking in when you're neck deep in a fire fight and with that all enemies are dead with you moving on to the next part, must have happened 2-3 times thoughout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Hardcore is surprisingly easy too. Mostly because they've designed the game around co-op, and thrown in pretty intelligent squad AI for us loners. There's been a few battles I've noticed they've got the last kill in, plus they're pretty reliable revivers.

Agreed.
    The last boss battle and hell even that act felt like breeze due to it.

CORaven wrote: »
    Agreed.
    The last boss battle and hell even that act felt like breeze due to it.

+1
    it was more difficult to kill Raam on normal, way back when

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I've noticed the improved AI. In some of the early battles I was pretty much hanging back and letting them do all the work.
    Barrington wrote: »
    Only niggle so far was
    when parts of the ship were on fire and you have to turn the valves to put them out. The new guy (Jace) stood on one part in flames and kept needing to be revived. I could stand right at the edge of the fire and revive him, but whenever I revived him, no matter how quickly I tried to move away to make him follow, gob****e would just stand there and burst into flames again. Eventually managed to walk off it that.
    Same thing happened here.

• Advertisement

I've noticed the improved AI. In some of the early battles I was pretty much hanging back and letting them do all the work

Lol, yeah. There's no hanging about in this installment, or the friendly AI will mop up all the enemies and leave you with nothing to do. The first time i actually used it to my advantage and hung back was last night in one of the boss battles though.

It reminded me of "operation get behind the darkies" from south park the movie:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8WwktUNM8#t=1m07s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Just finished the campaign, i didn't enjoy fighting the Lambent Locust at all, too much exploding and Imulsion sticking to the screen, i also found it annoying when you got downed by an overpowered enemy, get revived, and downed again, this happened multiple times usually resulting in being killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

Just picked this up for 40.99 new in hmv. Good price that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Hearing the piano sample from "Mad World" play in the background and seeing the environment change slightly on Gridlock was very unexpected, it reminded me a lot of the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Tinie wrote: »
    Hearing the piano sample from "Mad World" play in the background and seeing the environment change slightly on Gridlock was very unexpected, it reminded me a lot of the first game.

That is a really nice touch :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tinie wrote: »

Just noticed it there during an elimation match earlier , was like wtf is that doing there, thought it was the tv at first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Started horde mode at half 9 last night, finished at half 1 and still didnt complete it. We got stuck on level 40 and took us about 10 times to beat it, the boss waves really are hard. Finally got to level 50 but again the bosses are really hard, ended up turning it off because my eyes were hanging outta my head and had college in the mornin, wondering can i still get the achievement if i go back on and load it on level 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LOVING horde mode, fantastic co op experience, taking out a Brumak on wave 10 is class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. Whilst BlastedGlute comes across as someone who's trying to over compensate for something in his post

lol :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Started horde mode at half 9 last night, finished at half 1 and still didnt complete it. We got stuck on level 40 and took us about 10 times to beat it, the boss waves really are hard. Finally got to level 50 but again the bosses are really hard, ended up turning it off because my eyes were hanging outta my head and had college in the mornin, wondering can i still get the achievement if i go back on and load it on level 50?
    no has to be start to finish.

Play trashball with a squad of mates. Take over where the mortar/mulcher spawns. It only has 2 entrances. Buy both turrets,one over looking each entrence, Have another person with mulcher on each entrance with the last person hanging back for revives, picking off anything that makes it through.

It turns horde into a breeze and that area into a comlete killing field

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Lads, Im sorry but I was inches away from bursting my **** crying when Dom died

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The siege
    in Act 3 is visceral stuff.
    You really feel the pressure being piled on as the locust keep bursting through the gates.
    And then they end the act with
    Dom's death. Surprisingly powerful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

no has to be start to finish.

Play trashball with a squad of mates. Take over where the mortar/mulcher spawns. It only has 2 entrances. Buy both turrets,one over looking each entrence, Have another person with mulcher on each entrance with the last person hanging back for revives, picking off anything that makes it through.

It turns horde into a breeze and that area into a comlete killing field

can i be on your team hahaha

I used to love that about gears 2, just shielding your way into a nice corner and owning wave after wave!

can i be on your team hahaha

I used to love that about gears 2, just shielding your way into a nice corner and owning wave after wave!
    Fire me off a send req, Usually play in a room with another guy, though durinbg the week we had 3 xbox's and tv's going in the one room, looked fair nerdy! Calex71 and another of the lads will more than likely be on too so if somebody isn able to make it for our cheevo run of horde I'll fire you off an invite, otherwise I'll play with ya after we do our cheevo run

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

sounds sweet! ya have to have a plan for this horde otherwise the bosses will down the **** out of ya I reckon! Only made it to level on my first and only run at horde so far, but it was great craic! I might be way off here, but it felt a liiiiittle bit like running an instance in WoW. I dunno why, the boss fight just had that DPS feel to it! see ya on there soon hopefully!

• Advertisement

sounds sweet! ya have to have a plan for this horde otherwise the bosses will down the **** out of ya I reckon! Only made it to level on my first and only run at horde so far, but it was great craic! I might be way off here, but it felt a liiiiittle bit like running an instance in WoW. I dunno why, the boss fight just had that DPS feel to it! see ya on there soon hopefully!
    only failed level 50 thanks to what i posted about trashball, plus i reckon 2 more hordes at level 30 and I'll unlock the silverback so that'll make it a proper breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

only failed level 50 thanks to what i posted about trashball, plus i reckon 2 more hordes at level 30 and I'll unlock the silverback so that'll make it a proper breeze

The Silverback in Horde mode.....:eek:

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    The Silverback in Horde mode.....:eek:
    Yup once you spend 175,000 on barriers. It's right there in the stats page. You notice stuff like that when yer a gamescorewhore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

You notice stuff like that when yer a gamescorewhore

Well I am a bit of achievement whore, but not quite at your level of completion.

I must get stuck into Gears properly this weekend.

My completion level sucks, think I've barely over 55% of possible cheevo's since i really only started around december.

Will be on at some stage myself, GOW wil be my time killer till the daddy of shooters comes out and I get to fly jets like a boss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The siege
    You really feel the pressure being piled on as the locust keep bursting through the gates.

Yeah, Gears story is pretty meatheaded, but it can surprise you at times. I even thought
    marias death
    in 2 was handled very well. But yeah, Act 3,
    Doms Death, it was actually bloody sad. Youve played as him/with him for 3 games now, he was Marcus' bro... :( I was actually pretty saddened by it!

Kudos to Epic, theyve really made the story and characters very likeable, and the dialogue is fantastic, really funny at times, and a great sense of cameraderie in Delta Squad. I have grown quite attached to Delta Squad since 2006!

-Kenny- wrote: »
    Lads, Im sorry but I was inches away from bursting my **** crying when Dom died
    The siege
    Yeah, Gears story is pretty meatheaded, but it can surprise you at times. I even thought
    marias death
    in 2 was handled very well. But yeah, Act 3,
    Doms Death, it was actually bloody sad. Youve played as him/with him for 3 games now, he was Marcus' bro... :( I was actually pretty saddened by it!

Kudos to Epic, theyve really made the story and characters very likeable, and the dialogue is fantastic, really funny at times, and a great sense of cameraderie in Delta Squad. I have grown quite attached to Delta Squad since 2006!

Yup
    t'was more emotion provoking than bloody "marley and me"
    , well done epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Any of you lads playing horde mode on this?

Getting sick and tired of people not using headsets and playing like they have no thumbs...

Oh no wait there have been a few people using mics though... the mic in their kinect which they haven't got disabled... so I can hear the game echoed from them... awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Any of you lads playing horde mode on this?

Getting sick and tired of people not using headsets and playing like they have no thumbs...

Oh no wait there have been a few people using mics though... the mic in their kinect which they haven't got disabled... so I can hear the game echoed from them... awesome!

Finished Horde last night on the mercy map. Took 3-4 hours and was up until 4am.

Only myself and some English guy were talking on the mic, communicating with someone makes all the difference.

Level 50 was tough, any shot from any locust would nearly down you..crazy stuff but highly enjoyable. The new defence upgrades are cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Finished Horde last night on the mercy map. Took 3-4 hours and was up until 4am.

Only myself and some English guy were talking on the mic, communicating with someone makes all the difference.

Level 50 was tough, any shot from any locust would nearly down you..crazy stuff but highly enjoyable. The new defence upgrades are cool.

Yea finished it myself on gridlock. Lambent berserker and only one of us left.. he ran round the map using up every single dropped weapon and managed to kill it with the last 10 rounds of the last weapon on the map (a mulcher) was absolutely awesome after so many failed attempts.

The silverback is a beast when you unlock it, I've nearly 200 point man ribbons now :D

Advertisement