Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

The thing I disliked about it was there was nowhere enough Carmine! Probably one of my favorite moments is when a Stranded sniper takes a pot-shot at him.

Also
    Cole-Trains flashback in the stadium was handled really well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

The thing I disliked about it was there was nowhere enough Carmine! Probably one of my favorite moments is when a Stranded sniper takes a pot-shot at him.

Also
    Cole-Trains flashback in the stadium was handled really well
    He had 3 close call deaths if I remember rightly!

But I concur, Everyone was dying to know if he'd live or die, they're should of been moar carmine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

The ending and the final boss fight was awful too in my opinion...

I was expecting something much more epic.

TBH it was much better than the end boss fight from GoW2 but nowhere as near as good as GoW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

+1 I enjoyed fighting Lambent berserker more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

For idiots like me who wondered how folks got to show of a medal beside their gamertag select the medal in stats and press A to equip, now I can be all cool as the rest of the kids ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Anyone else think the sawn off shotgun is overpowered? Nearly everyone is using it and lots of people are abusing it, by standing behind pillars and waiting for you to come over then shoot, and if you don't get killed, they just leg it off and then race back after they have reloaded. Its not fun like a gnasher battle.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Finished it this evening, i agree, i thought the final boss was a total let down, and the story resolution left loads of questions unanswered. What was the backstory with the queen, how did she know marcus's father, and why was she a fine thing and not as bet down ugly as the rest of the locust? Was she half human, was there some wierd inter-species gettin' it on happening back in the day between her and marcus's dad? What was the deal with all that knowing each other before E-day and stuff? I mean, they were on a first name basis for goodness sake, is that some wierd crazy ex-girlfriend sh1t that fenix senior had going on or what?

Seriously though, It wasn't bad at all, i'd agree it was the best of the 3 story-wise, but still, i though it ran out of legs a bit towards the end, and it was a particularly easy campaign. The AI seemed to do most of the work for a lot of it. High points were
    cole train in the locker rooms and on the pitch spiking the locusts, and when Dom dies. Both very visceral moments, especially the last one, i thought it was a genuine milestone in video game writing. It's hard to feel bad for a fictional character in a video game, but i think that cutscene comes as close as i've seen to pulling it off yet. You really feel for marcus when he realises that his buddy is dead. Far more than when his dad is unexpectedly banjaxed at the end.

Played the new horde mode this evening for the first time. Brilliant. I loved the new additions, and the twist on using cash you earn to unlock weapons and stuff is great. It's totally robbed from zombies in COD, but who cares, they robbed horde from GOW2 anyway. The way it's set up now really rewards teamwork and strategy. Too bad half the people on it don't talk.

If anybody wants some strategic, teamwork based horde or beast matches, drop me a FR. Gamertag is mackdaddi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Notorioux wrote: »
    +1 I enjoyed fighting Lambent berserker more.

That f*cking bitch!

playing it through in 4 player co-op on hardcore and that boss takes a serious f*cking beating. We sunk close to an hour on her alone and it kept getting insaner and insaner.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    playing it through in 4 player co-op on hardcore and that boss takes a serious f*cking beating

I just killed that thing in level 25 of horde mode on my own after my entire team had died. Spent aaaages with no cash to buy ammo just picking up leftover guns and chipping away at it bit by bit by bit. What a bitch.

What are people's strategies and favourite spots in horde? I just finished a few long games there, and the best spots i could figure out to hole up in were:

Gridlock, up on the steps nearest where you spawn, opposite the waterfront. Only 2 entrances, and easy enough to defend, and an elevated view of all the approach routes

On mercy, in the corner to the immediate right of the church, as you look out the church door. Build a couple of turrets and barrier that corner off, and you can dig in behind the sandbags there for ages, and cover the whole map in your field of fire. Nothing can approach without your team having plenty of time and space to take some pot shots at it. A mix of long range fire and shotguns and boomshots works really well there.

On Hotel, down at the end of the lobby, probably the best position i've seen for digging in on any of the maps. There are only 2 entrances, and your view is elevated and commands the whole lobby. Put a man each on left and right, and 2 facing front, and one free to roam around and assist, and put barriers and frags on all the doors and let them all come to you. You're in trouble if you get swarmed though, nowhere to run to.

On sandbar, in the fortress and overlook, at the top, where the boomshot spawns. You have elevated vews over most of the map so you can't really be surprised, and the 3 entrances are easy to guard. Also, you have easy escape/ rendezvous routes if things get too hot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

silverback in horde....what a machine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I just killed that thing in level 25 of horde mode on my own after my entire team had died. Spent aaaages with no cash to buy ammo just picking up leftover guns and chipping away at it bit by bit by bit. What a bitch.

What are people's strategies and favourite spots in horde? I just finished a few long games there, and the best spots i could figure out to hole up in were:

Gridlock, up on the steps nearest where you spawn, opposite the waterfront. Only 2 entrances, and easy enough to defend, and an elevated view of all the approach routes

On mercy, in the corner to the immediate right of the church, as you look out the church door. Build a couple of turrets and barrier that corner off, and you can dig in behind the sandbags there for ages, and cover the whole map in your field of fire. Nothing can approach without your team having plenty of time and space to take some pot shots at it. A mix of long range fire and shotguns and boomshots works really well there.

On Hotel, down at the end of the lobby, probably the best position i've seen for digging in on any of the maps. There are only 2 entrances, and your view is elevated and commands the whole lobby. Put a man each on left and right, and 2 facing front, and one free to roam around and assist, and put barriers and frags on all the doors and let them all come to you. You're in trouble if you get swarmed though, nowhere to run to.

On sandbar, in the fortress and overlook, at the top, where the boomshot spawns. You have elevated vews over most of the map so you can't really be surprised, and the 3 entrances are easy to guard. Also, you have easy escape/ rendezvous routes if things get too hot.

Beserekers in level 25? I thought they only came in Boss rounds?

We have been playing the stadium, up in the stands is a good place to camp out. Buy the two turrets in at the back and you can dish out serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I finished Gears of War 2 last night and immediately started into Gears of War 3. A couple of things jumped out at me straight away. Firstly there was a lot more colour and the graphics are better than GoW 2.

Looking forward to getting more time to play it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I only started playing Gears 1 last night and the graphics are great, looking forward to working my way up to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

I was getting some crazy lag last night anyone else getting it or could it be my connection? I put it down to it been the first weekend i got none on tues wed or thurs i will see what its like tonight when i get a chance to play again. Loving the game by the way!

Beserekers in level 25? I thought they only came in Boss rounds?

We have been playing the stadium, up in the stands is a good place to camp out. Buy the two turrets in at the back and you can dish out serious damage.

Hmmm. Youre right, maybe it was level 20, i dont remember. Anyway, she was a c**t.

Good tip re the stadium, thanks. Anybody got any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Finished the game last night, kinda got hooked on it till I did like I always do with Gears of War. Great Game only problem I really shoulde had a lil overlook off the first two games again since i forgot a lot of the story.

Now onto online play which im always ****e at :o well either that, or just some people online play are just freaks :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Finished the game last night, kinda got hooked on it till I did like I always do with Gears of War. Great Game only problem I really shoulde had a lil overlook off the first two games again since i forgot a lot of the story.

Now onto online play which im always ****e at :o well either that, or just some people online play are just freaks :D.

If you go into the campaign menu, there is an option at the bottom for "Previously in Gears of War" thats meant to cover the events of the first 2.

Yeah, only played 1 match online and decided to just stick to Horde, managed 1 kill though :P And do people really not understand the "warcamp" part of Horde, almost everytime I am sitting in the middle of the razorwire and turrets we have built in the first 2 rounds and see the others are downed on the other end of the map :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

If anyone wants a code for gears of war 3 in game weapon from this let me know. first to reply gets its.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    If anyone wants a code for gears of war 3 in game weapon from this let me know. first to reply gets its.

Ill have it if your offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Ill have it if your offering.

Sent PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Cant find a match at all for me today, seems odd. Not a single match in any gamemode/type. Must be something up with the servers. On a side note i unlocked the Flame Retro, somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Yeah, can spend five minutes searching and attempting to find Horde matches. Very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    If you go into the campaign menu, there is an option at the bottom for "Previously in Gears of War" thats meant to cover the events of the first 2.

That really doesn't cover squat , I actually bought gears 2 earlier seeing as i was cheap and had all the dlc with it for 11.99 and I couldn't remember the story either, major things like emulsion and lembent I had totally forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Jumping in now for a while.

GT: blastedglute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Played a good bit more of this now. Have to say that I'm loving the new hoard mode. My self n the bro have had some tense moments. Not sure what to make of beast mode, a bit easy.

I'm finally getting handy at online. The lancer is much better than before. Can't use the retro lancer yet. Finally getting kills with the shotguns (both of them). It's actually enjoyable online which 2 was never for me :)

There is something sweet about being on a good team and playing king of the hill or the one where you have to capture the leader

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished the campaign there. While it's enjoyable throughout, it seems somewhat of a shame the game hits its peak in Act III without much in the way of extremely memorable setpieces afterwards
    (bar the sub, which was more intense than we've come to expect from mandatory on-rails turret sections)
    . Lots of elevators and multi-lever generators though :P Still good, and the locations are rarely less than interesting, but definitely could have done with another few scenes to match the highlights of earlier on.

One weird thing was the cutscene when the
    Gears finally meet up with Adam in his office
    went a bit mad, with disappearing or severely distorted textures for about twenty seconds. Bizarre.

Other than that, enjoyed it. Despite the fact that the story is trash, they manage to wrangle some genuine emotional moments out of it all. I quite liked the ending I must say, although the boss fight was great for half of it, and then went on too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

just started act IV, all I can say about
    Dom's death is wow, that was a fantastic moment when the piano version of Mad World begins to play
    after a shaky start (wasnt impressed with the ship level at all) am absolutely loving this, it looks amazing in every level, especially
    Char, with all the bodies turned to ash, very cool
    the lighting effects are superb as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished it earlier, loved it. Two things though,
    Dom's death was pretty obvious with the whole Brothers to the End marketing and ads, and calling that Chapter Brothers to the end, but it was still an amazing moment. Plus, was it just me or did Adam Fenix's beard keep disappearing in some cutscenes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

krudler wrote: »
    just started act IV, all I can say about
    Dom's death is wow, that was a fantastic moment when the piano version of Mad World begins to play
    after a shaky start (wasnt impressed with the ship level at all) am absolutely loving this, it looks amazing in every level, especially
    Char, with all the bodies turned to ash, very cool
    the lighting effects are superb as well.

I was pretty annoyed because
    I'm player two so that was MY CHARACTER. NO respect for Player 2. But it kinda was obvious it was coming, with the whole grave scene and the 'Brothers to the end boohoo' thing. Bah

Still, this is the best game series of all time in my book. Of ALL TIME.

Advertisement