Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears Of War 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

SPOILERS AHEAD:

Finished it this evening, i agree, i thought the final boss was a total let down, and the story resolution left loads of questions unanswered. What was the backstory with the queen, how did she know marcus's father, and why was she a fine thing and not as bet down ugly as the rest of the locust? Was she half human, was there some wierd inter-species gettin' it on happening back in the day between her and marcus's dad? What was the deal with all that knowing each other before E-day and stuff? I mean, they were on a first name basis for goodness sake, is that some wierd crazy ex-girlfriend sh1t that fenix senior had going on or what?

Seriously though, It wasn't bad at all, i'd agree it was the best of the 3 story-wise, but still, i though it ran out of legs a bit towards the end, and it was a particularly easy campaign. The AI seemed to do most of the work for a lot of it. High points were
    cole train in the locker rooms and on the pitch spiking the locusts, and when Dom dies. Both very visceral moments, especially the last one, i thought it was a genuine milestone in video game writing. It's hard to feel bad for a fictional character in a video game, but i think that cutscene comes as close as i've seen to pulling it off yet. You really feel for marcus when he realises that his buddy is dead. Far more than when his dad is unexpectedly banjaxed at the end.

Played the new horde mode this evening for the first time. Brilliant. I loved the new additions, and the twist on using cash you earn to unlock weapons and stuff is great. It's totally robbed from zombies in COD, but who cares, they robbed horde from GOW2 anyway. The way it's set up now really rewards teamwork and strategy. Too bad half the people on it don't talk.

If anybody wants some strategic, teamwork based horde or beast matches, drop me a FR. Gamertag is mackdaddi.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

I'm expecting some of those answers to come with DLC (the coming soon section of the campaign) There still has been no explanation of how the locust came about.. Adam fenix may have had something to do with their creation?

I would have loved to have seen a huge pitched battle at the end, like the AWESOME mission in the fort. I also would have preferred a much more hopeless ending (sera can't go from being completely and utterly buggered to everything being fine with a handful of people left).

ALSO what the hell happened to the rest of the regular non-lambent locust after the queen died?

SPOILERS AHEAD

what the hell happened to the rest of the regular non-lambent locust after the queen died?

The weapon marcus's dad developed killed them all. The lambent as well as the regular locust. All of them were wiped out. That's the reason that the queen and her big flying bug were so p1ssed off with him and trying to stop him from deploying it. She had been OK with him developing a weapon that would kill the lambent but not one that took her people out in the process.

He didn't want to kill them, but as he says when you rescue him from captivity, there wasn't enough time to develop it fully to allow it to make a distinction between the two.

There's so much material in there for a prequel, maybe centred around the events leading up to and immediately after e-day. The pendulum wars, the emergence of the locust, etc. There's lots of the canon still left to make some more games out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I was almost bawling like a baby at the end of act 3 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Finished it last night.

The best campaign without doubt I think.
    God rest you Dom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Was'nt the Queen hinted at in the GoW2 mission in the rain soaked research complex, about them making some form of super soldier or somesuch? There is also a few nods to the expanded universe too, since Jace appears in the comics and Bernie in a novel, or so I am told, could be some hints to the events between the games in there.

But I am just hoping one of the DLC's is a mini campaign with all 4 Carmine brothers, they deserve it after the first 2 games :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Spoilers for those who haven't finished the game:
    Well this is my favourite game of the series so far, and tbh it's tough to see how someone would disagree. I can appreciate how someone might prefer the narrative from 1 or 2, but as an overall package, Gears 3 sets the bar very high. End of Act 3 was emotional stuff :(, and it was great to see my favourite Gear, Cole, become a more rounded character.

I actually changed my MP character to Dom last night in his honour (have been rolling Cole as long as Gears has existed) and went 12-0 in a game of TDM, a rare performance for me. Also finished my MP session on a 15-5 game... I do love me some Gears!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

having finished last night after picking it up on friday, I have to say I was a bit disappointed and found it lacking especially when compared to 2. I found it all a bit samey as they have far to few different types of gameplay and I thought a lot of the story was a bit fluff and then tries to cram a lot of the actual story line into far to short a period near the end and thus leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

So obviously a prequal to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's the consensus on the season pass? I'm surprised it costs so many points to be honest, do people think there's value there?

What's the consensus on the season pass? I'm surprised it costs so many points to be honest, do people think there's value there?

Depends on the quality of the stuff delivered, I'm guessing each item will be 800-1200 points each, and I remember hearing something about there being up to 5 DLC for it, 1 will be story based the rest map packs, at a guess the story one will be based
    on cole and baird based on how they seemed to just disappear from the plot after act 2 or so
    If you are into map packs and are with the game for the long haul then the season pass is the way to go. Mind you you are buying them sight unseen, so they could be great or they could be overpriced magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Is anyone else not getting the golden weapon skins unlocking despite playing matches online this week?

Is there a nack to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

kiddums wrote: »
    Is anyone else not getting the golden weapon skins unlocking despite playing matches online this week?

Is there a nack to it?

Dunno, I just played 1 Versus match and got them. Horde and Beast dont count, dunno if co-op campaign does either.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Dunno, I just played 1 Versus match and got them. Horde and Beast dont count, dunno if co-op campaign does either.
    Played a few TDM and one or two others. Still no unlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Played a few TDM and one or two others. Still no unlocks.

just press down on the dpad when you're at the loadout selection and the guns change colour

krudler wrote: »
    just press down on the dpad when you're at the loadout selection and the guns change colour
    I know how to change to the skins, theyre just not there. Im level 7 now from trying.

I know how to change to the skins, theyre just not there. Im level 7 now from trying.

Did you get that 0gs achievement yet ? That locks you out of playing the beginner team death matches?

calex71 wrote: »
    Did you get that 0gs achievement yet ? That locks you out of playing the beginner team death matches?
    Yea I got that once I played on my own console.
    I was using my profile on a friends console first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Had to download the Mad World Piano only version from iTunes. That scene has been stuck in my head since I played it.

On the last part of Act 4 at the moment. Avoiding this thread at the mo for fear of spoilers.
    I read about Dom's death here, spoilers are so hard to not peek at

Never got the gold weapons myself. Not that bothered mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

I expected the lambency chevvo to be hard it wasn't a lot of people seem to have it already

I expected the lambency chevvo to be hard it wasn't a lot of people seem to have it already

I got it and didn't know what it was. Still not sure. I'm totally avoiding the campaign until I beat GOW2 so wasn't sure what a Lambent was but as far as I can tell, I was playing online, pocked up a meatshield and the achievement popped.

As for the season pass, was I just being stupid or is the description of it worded badly. From my reading of it, I thought you got a discount on the DLC but would still have to buy it at that discount. I didn't cop that by buying the pass you get all the DLC 'free' as it were. Just bought it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I got it and didn't know what it was. Still not sure. I'm totally avoiding the campaign until I beat GOW2 so wasn't sure what a Lambent was but as far as I can tell, I was playing online, pocked up a meatshield and the achievement popped.

As for the season pass, was I just being stupid or is the description of it worded badly. From my reading of it, I thought you got a discount on the DLC but would still have to buy it at that discount. I didn't cop that by buying the pass you get all the DLC 'free' as it were. Just bought it there.
    You get it for killing an epic employee or someone else who has

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

You get it for killing an epic employee or someone else who has

Nope, has to be an execution. I got this achievement before I got to 10 kills in TDM, on Monday night last week :)

Made it through wave 50 of horde last night on overpass with a team of five. Only had it on casual though, which is a bit of a cakewalk.

That map is excellent. Easiest by far for making it to 50. Once you get the base at the top of the stairs bought and turrets and fences upgraded on the steps you can pick off 90% of the enemies before they can get near you.

The lambent zerker on level 40 gave us a bit of trouble, came in and smashed the place up, but apart from that it was fine. Now to try it on normal, farthest I've got so far is level 31.

Made it through wave 50 of horde last night on overpass with a team of five. Only had it on casual though, which is a bit of a cakewalk.

That map is excellent. Easiest by far for making it to 50. Once you get the base at the top of the stairs bought and turrets and fences upgraded on the steps you can pick off 90% of the enemies before they can get near you.

The lambent zerker on level 40 gave us a bit of trouble, came in and smashed the place up, but apart from that it was fine. Now to try it on normal, farthest I've got so far is level 31.
    How long did that take?
    We tried with two and got to 34 on casual. The brumack on 30 really messed us up tho. It was like starting over. Took near 4 hours.

Should be up for some full horde games this weekend....can't really commit to them during the week, will be on it all night and be a zombie then in work.

Anyways, was playing a few matches of Warzone or execution last night, and noticed something weird, I downed a guy, ran over to execute him, was holding Y and he jumped up and chainsawed me & ran off.....Nobody revived him, how the flip did he do that, I thought you had to be revived.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think one of the loading screen tips says you can get up faster/on your own by pressing A rapidly without crawling. Someone else mentioned a few pages back that people are using rapid fire control pads to get up quickly.

Ah, right Ted. He was crawling away, and when I got close he stopped crawling and hopped up instantly, could have been rapid fire, he was up and chainsawing me in an instant.

Must try that, crawling into cover & tap A, I always try to move near someone to be revived.

Does that work in Horde too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Finished the campaign last night, absolutely loved it and definitely my favourite in the series so far.

The change of pace midway through the first Act
    when control switched to Cole
    was a little odd but after things returned to normal it was great. I'm glad they didn't repeat this throughout the campaign too, although if they offer these sections as DLC I'm sure people will start whinging. :o

Loved the little jokes throughout too, Baird's "aaaaaand cue reinforcements" in Act II made me chuckle. :D
    With regards Dom's death, I gotta say it was fantasticly done. While the music and slow-mo sections were great, it was Marcus' face when Anya ran over to him that sealed the deal for me, he really did look utterly devastated, fair play to the animators for that one.

****ing delighted Carmine survived too, loved that addition to the final cutscene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Anyone think they've overpowered the lancer in MP? Shotgun battles are looking like a thing of the past :mad:

On some levels you're getting shot at from all directions, makes it hard to stay alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Anyone think they've overpowered the lancer in MP? Shotgun battles are looking like a thing of the past :mad:

On some levels you're getting shot at from all directions, makes it hard to stay alive.

No, the SoS is way too OP and common it is too big of a risk to go CQC now.

Advertisement