Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Dublin...

Options
  • 31-07-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey guys,

just looking for some advice regarding accommodation. I am a research student who works in Maynooth and Tipperary as a teacher. I do one day a week in Maynooth, one day a week in Tipp, three days of correction/ organising classes/ researching.

I like to research in the National Library and find that my social life is pretty centered around Dublin. If I live in Dublin I can get easily to both Connolly and Heuston station to teach. I'm not sure where though... I'm on a budget of 1,000euro for two people, so I'd be paying 500euro a month. This is my max rent, though I'd go slightly higher if utilities were included.

I was looking at Christchurch first of all and it seems great location wise, but the apartments seem cramped. I've also heard that the area can be a bit dodgey and to really consider somewhere else. I've looked at Smithfield and found lovely apartments for the same price. The Luas line will bring me to shops/ both train stations so it seems good. I've heard, however, that it's very loud and also dodgey. I want the place to be relatively quiet, but I'm still young so I don't mind if there's a bit of noise around me! I had a look at Ashtown as well and the apartments there seem really incredibly nice. You get free gym membership to some apartments too! It's on the Maynooth line and I could get to Heuston handily enough from there. Only thing is I heard it's very isolating to live there and it wouldn't be good for my social life.

Any ideas where I should look? I'm looking for...

- easy access to both train stations
    - quiet area that is also student-friendly
    - close to centre of town (in particular Nassau street)
    - nice apartment that sticks to our budget
    - close to shops as neither of us drive

I know, I may be asking for too much!

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

The city centre is where your social life is, the library is and all the main transport hubs are. As you're young and you can't drive then thats where you should be really. You'll also find that as you're walking distance to these places you'll probably do more walking and get fitter!

Tbh I don't think anywhere around the city centre is that dodgy...the only place I'd be wary of parts of Summerhill/Ballybough but even there I'd say you'd be grand.

Smithfield/ Arbour Hill area would be my suggestion. I live around here and find it handy. I rarely use the luas though (its handier for me to walk) and I've heard that there can be a some dodgyness on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hey guys,

just looking for some advice regarding accommodation. I am a research student who works in Maynooth and Tipperary as a teacher. I do one day a week in Maynooth, one day a week in Tipp, three days of correction/ organising classes/ researching.

I like to research in the National Library and find that my social life is pretty centered around Dublin. If I live in Dublin I can get easily to both Connolly and Heuston station to teach. I'm not sure where though... I'm on a budget of 1,000euro for two people, so I'd be paying 500euro a month. This is my max rent, though I'd go slightly higher if utilities were included.

I was looking at Christchurch first of all and it seems great location wise, but the apartments seem cramped. I've also heard that the area can be a bit dodgey and to really consider somewhere else. I've looked at Smithfield and found lovely apartments for the same price. The Luas line will bring me to shops/ both train stations so it seems good. I've heard, however, that it's very loud and also dodgey. I want the place to be relatively quiet, but I'm still young so I don't mind if there's a bit of noise around me! I had a look at Ashtown as well and the apartments there seem really incredibly nice. You get free gym membership to some apartments too! It's on the Maynooth line and I could get to Heuston handily enough from there. Only thing is I heard it's very isolating to live there and it wouldn't be good for my social life.

Any ideas where I should look? I'm looking for...

- easy access to both train stations
    - quiet area that is also student-friendly
    - close to centre of town (in particular Nassau street)
    - nice apartment that sticks to our budget
    - close to shops as neither of us drive

I know, I may be asking for too much!

R

Anywhere along the Red Line Luas would suit I reckon, although the further out you go the longer your Journey time would be.

Might be worth checking out Kilmainham, Rialto and Inchicore areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

- You say tweopeople, does that mean two bedrooms, or alarge one bedroom? If you arewilling to take a large one bedroom, you can get right in the city center for 1000.
    - When you say the Christchurch flats are cramped (some are, I have friends who live there!), which kind of square footage are you looking for?
    - Quiet AND student friendly may be difficult; ie the "happening" palces like Smithfield do tend to be loud... also, most quiet places are looking for professionals who will be there a year or more. If that is what you want, I wouldn't mention being a student to landlords, and emphasis that you are looking for a year long lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Oh, thanks for the replies, guys! Yes. Sounds good.. I dunno, Smithfield is nice but I hear it's VERY loud. Is it? I have this urge to live on the south side, but I just think that would be silly, right? I was thinking Rathmines.. But yes, that would be really inconvenient. Looks like Smithfield is the most logical place to be.

No, we're not going to be sharing a room! So that's outta the question.

What about Grand Canal? Isn't that on the luas line now?

@silja, I'm not looking for a huge apartment, just a place where I'm not completely cramped. There are only two of us, but a bit of space would be nice... but not essential! Also, we're not students. We're researchers, but we are quite young (22/ 25) so we still like to go out and get drunk and stuff, but like it being quiet on most nights. We would be considered professionals, but young ones!

Advertisement