Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal of Cartridges

Options
  • 31-07-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

As the thread states, I have five cartridges in my safe that I have found whilst out on my permissions, not all at once. They are rusty, they where clearly dropped by others whilst shooting. What the best way to dispose of them? Bring the to my dealer next time I'm there or drop them in the local station? I a bit weary of the latter, there no mine; I picked them up as I thought it better to do so them let a kid find them. However, I somewhat afaird it might set a chain of events off with the Garda that may have a negative impact of those of us who are careful with there cartridges? Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Odysseus wrote: »
    As the thread states, I have five cartridges in my safe that I have found whilst out on my permissions, not all at once. They are rusty, they where clearly dropped by others whilst shooting. What the best way to dispose of them? Bring the to my dealer next time I'm there or drop them in the local station? I a bit weary of the latter, there no mine; I picked them up as I thought it better to do so them let a kid find them. However, I somewhat afaird it might set a chain of events off with the Garda that may have a negative impact of those of us who are careful with there cartridges? Thoughts anyone?
    Just break them up. Take out the shot and dispose of it and the same with the powder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

+1 on what rrpc said.

Simply cut them and empty the contents. They are then useless.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Squirt some WD-40 or similar into the primers to 'render them beyond use' :D

The shot is just metal (most likely lead or an alloy of it), the powder can be spread on the flowerbed as fertilizer or burned in the open air, and the rest is just plastic/paper and brass or steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Rovi wrote: »
    Squirt some WD-40 or similar into the primers to 'render them beyond use' :D

From preventing cocaine use to decommissioning primer's; is there anything thing the magical qualities of WD-40 cannot do:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Odysseus wrote: »
    From preventing cocaine use to decommissioning primer's; is there anything thing the magical qualities of WD-40 cannot do:)

Win the lottoicon7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

WD40 and duct tape the most basic tool kit.
    If it isnt moving.... WD40 it .If it is moving when it shouldnt.... duct tape so it doesnt.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Just imagine what MCguiver or the A team could do with duct tape and wd40,,,,,sshhhhh they might get banned too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The following is an incredibly bad idea. One which you should definitely not do.

Had a friend, bit of a mad dog. He used to drop the shot from a cartridge and use the shell to shoot arrows out of a 12ga.

Incredibly stupid, true. However, these arrows were going through 2x4's.

I am not sure if I laughed due to its stupidity or moronic nature, but I laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

as an archer i object to that practise :eek:

going through a 2x4 is bad for your feathers :D

Advertisement