Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could you review my site please

• 31-07-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

http://www.bargaindeals.ie

Things im working on at the mo:

Im having a few problems, mainly when someone posts a long url it can break up the design, anyone any ideas what to do about this? Would like it when a long url is posted that they automatically shorten. site is built using wordpress....also would like a button that would add expired to the title when pressed

Lets us know what you think, thanks for any input!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you want a review of the site it should go here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1382

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I've moved it to the correct forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

From a super quick glance...

I'd provide the information that's currently in the blog a little more directly (and expand on it a little more). It's not immediately obvious how the site works in terms of a glance at the homepage (e.g. anyone posts a 'bargain' they spot or only for direct sellers, etc.). Explain the site (clearly and quickly, don't make them guess or have to look for it or figure it out) to users and they're far more likely to interact with it.

You could either provide it at the top of the page beneath the nav bar or simply direct them to a separate page where it's provided (the former would be preferable from an SEO pov but it depends on how you want the page laid out and how willing you are to have information pushed below the fold).

Take care of the use of h1 tags - There is currently no h1 tag on the home page (I assume for layout reasons). From a logical and SEO perspective this is far from ideal. I'd suggest adding one to either the logo (with an image replacement) or to the 'Bargain Deals' hyperlink above the listings (styled to suit the layout).

On the category pages, having the h1 tied to a random "Help others" rather than to the relevant content is again far from ideal in terms of people searching for "bargain electricals" (taking the sample page I looked at) finding the site. Again, I assume this was done for 'graphical' reasons, so I'd suggest swapping the tags there (I'd also query using h2 tags on the side menu's at all but that's more subjective) and instead marking up the styling in the CSS.

I'd also suggest trying to get something relevant to the site into the "From the blog". 'From the blog' doesn't give users any idea of what information will be contained in there if they go to look. So adding more relevant text will help.

No meta descriptions are provided, so if you do rank for terms there's less opportunity for 'ideal' text to be provided to someone considering taking a look. Also no meta keywords provided (not an issue for 'current' google rankings [who know if/when that might change again], but there are other search engines who do/will use keywords for rankings).

It's the type of site that could perform well with a "Weekly bargains" newsletter (or something similar), so I'd suggest adding one if/when you get the chance. Perhaps this is available to registered users, if so, make it more obvious that this is a benefit of registering or open it up to anyone to sign up for the newsletter (I'd go the latter personally, if you get them receiving your information and they like it, they'll register naturally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Thanks for your review PaulPinnacle!!!! appreciated!! bank hols at the mo so gona get back to work on the site Tuesday if im not to hungover lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you want to build in short URLs, you could sign up for short.ie and use their API:

http://short.ie/dev - signup
    http://wiki.short.ie - docs.

HTH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement