Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting the grass in the rain

Options
  • 31-07-2010 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

After about a month of missed opportunities, I finally had this afternoon free to cut the grass out the back.

I took the lawn-mower out of the shed, was just about to start.... and then it started to rain!!!

The grass is now roughly about 50cm - 75cm tall! It shot up over the last couple of weeks.

So I'm asking here if anyone knows:

a) Is it advisable to go ahead and cut the grass in the rain? (i doubt it would be easy)
    b) If it's not a good idea, how long should it take to dry out after it stops raining so I can cut it?

It's getting far too long at this stage - the poor dogs are getting lost in it and everything!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lol! If its really 2 foot high (what kind of dogs do you have :D) a mower will not be any use anyway, you will need a scyth or a pair of shears and hand cut it!

If it is 50 - 75 mm tall then wait until it is fairly dry anyway, if its wet it will just clog the mower and could do damage. Cut on the highest setting first, you may have to go over it again on a lower setting. On a fine, breezy day the grass could be dry enough in two or three hours, but it depends on the day and the site, if the ground is boggy then you will have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Ah, I guesstimated the length of the grass.... I'd say it's knee-height anyway!

Dogs are Yorkies, so they're only small! Every week for the last few weeks I'd planned to cut the grass but I'd either be busy or it would rain! It really has shot up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

if its knee high you will need to strim it first. if its couple on inches cut high first then a lower setting. you are well wait till its dry otherwise it will double your work. the wet grass will continually clog the mower so you will be stopping and starting constantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I have mowed in the rain, but only with an old petrol mower, a beast of a thing. Went fine except the wheels sank a bit when the ground really got soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The luxury of choice - some of us have to mow rain or shine !. But with grass that long you will need to strim it, rake it then mow it. You could try running the mower over it at maximum cut height - if you are brave you could cut it with the front wheels off of the ground.

Grass that long will never dry out. If it is very wet it can make it easier to cut if you drag a rope across it to knock off the water droplets.

Make sure that your blades are really sharp & maybe cut half normal widths. You could buy an Etesia mower, at a mere €2500, which will collect every blade even in pouring rain.

My 16 inch Izy is remarkably good at wet weather collection. The secret is having a 6hp engine ( it's tuned !) with a narrow deck so no areas to clog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Discodog wrote: »
    The luxury of choice - some of us have to mow rain or shine !. But with grass that long you will need to strim it, rake it then mow it. You could try running the mower over it at maximum cut height - if you are brave you could cut it with the front wheels off of the ground.

Grass that long will never dry out. If it is very wet it can make it easier to cut if you drag a rope across it to knock off the water droplets.

Make sure that your blades are really sharp & maybe cut half normal widths. You could buy an Etesia mower, at a mere €2500, which will collect every blade even in pouring rain.

My 16 inch Izy is remarkably good at wet weather collection. The secret is having a 6hp engine ( it's tuned !) with a narrow deck so no areas to clog.

Ah but some of us are wimpy, fine weather gardeners who have a €80 mower from Homebase. And its lucky if the blade gets wiped, never mind tuned! I have a fine crop of white clover at the moment, its quite pretty, if a little shaggy looking :D I will continue to wait for a dry day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I'm the same as looksee...

Have a small cheap-ish black&decker mower that's fine for the small area of grass out the back.

I got a couple of layers off the top this morning by mowing with the mower leaning back - had the front wheels up in the air. Then it started raining again!

At least it's down to a 'normal' height now!

Advertisement