Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Limerick Hurling Manager

• 31-07-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on who this should be ?

Would love to see Gary Kirby or Ger Loughnane in there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

What's wrong with Justin McCarthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

kilburn wrote: »
    Any thoughts on who this should be ?

Would love to see Gary Kirby or Ger Loughnane in there.

Is it just me or is he very anti-Limerick? Or is that just an urban legend.

I recall him berating Eamonn Cregan live on telly after Clare won the all-ireland, perhaps there isnt any more to it than that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

phog wrote: »

Cork need him to replace Denis Walsh. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

True Loughnane did berate Cregan on telly but he was berating his tactics with such a great team. He is also on record as saying that the Limerick team of the 90's were one of the best teams ever not to win an all-ireland. He did also state that he would love to manage Limerick in the past, this isnt a forum for bashing managers now.
    Lets keep it on topic who would you like to see as the new manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

phog wrote: »

He didnt allow the big time charlies (not an all ireland between them) a lickle drinky poos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I hope it is Gary Kirby. Whoever takes over faces an extremely difficult task in reuniting Limerick Hurling and getting the players and County Board to all row in the same direction again. I very much doubt that Justin McCarthy will be kept on, managers live and die by the results on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 VanV

I hope it is Gary Kirby.
    I hope it isn't because it was Kirby and not Richie Bennis that was the main problem in his last spell there. And I know that first hand from several players, including from his own club.

Anyone from Donal O'Grady, John Allen, Ger Loughnane or Anthony Daly with a former player like TJ Ryan/McDonagh/Carey on board as well would do me nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Loughnane was a failure with Galway but he might get something out of Limerick, supposedly he was turned down for the position before because he wanted to pick his own backroom staff, typical Limerick county board nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

typical Limerick county board nonsense.
    That's the main problem right there. A bunch of inept individuals rule the roost and therefore a lot of potential managers just don't think it's worth the hassle of dealing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Aidric wrote: »
    That's the main problem right there. A bunch of inept individuals rule the roost and therefore a lot of potential managers just don't think it's worth the hassle of dealing with them.

Yeah, they are the root and cause of the malaise in Limerick hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

It's between Gary Kirby and Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It's between Gary Kirby and Keane.

Dave Keane pulled out during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I hope they make sure that whoever is picked has Managerial Credintials .i.e that he has already managed a club , or uderage couty team sucessfully. The idea of picking a former player just because he was a good player does not make a lot of sense. Good players do not necessarily make good managers:p:D;) Let's get it right this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I hope they make sure that whoever is picked has Managerial Credentials .i.e that he has already managed a club , or uderage couty team sucessfully. The idea of picking a former player just because he was a good player does not make a lot of sense. Good players do not necessarily make good managers:p:D;) Let's get it right this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

shawnee wrote: »
    I hope they make sure that whoever is picked has Managerial Credentials .i.e that he has already managed a club , or uderage couty team sucessfully. The idea of picking a former player just because he was a good player does not make a lot of sense. Good players do not necessarily make good managers:p:D;) Let's get it right this time.

And for evidence the low-league players can make good managers, look at Roy Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

And for evidence the low-league players can make good managers, look at Roy Hodgson.

ah, wait until april 2012 until we give the thumbs up on him

VanV wrote: »
    I hope it isn't because it was Kirby and not Richie Bennis that was the main problem in his last spell there. And I know that first hand from several players, including from his own club.

Anyone from Donal O'Grady, John Allen, Ger Loughnane or Anthony Daly with a former player like TJ Ryan/McDonagh/Carey on board as well would do me nicely.
    what has tj ryan done, look at his record with garryspillane, mc donagh has no experence, carey his probs are well documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Word on the street is that the new Limerick manager will not be one that was nominated by the clubs. People have been assuming Anthony Daly maybe approached. Where that has I come from? I don't know but there certainly interesting times ahead

me thinks the less the clubs have to do with picking him the better, some time ago some members of the hurling panel went to thurles to presuade a corkman to manage them, the county board agreed with their choice, the result chaos, let the guys who have been chosen to get a manager do so.

Advertisement