Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any newbies have any questions about Life in DIT??? (ASK HERE!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

MadRush wrote: »
    this is probably the wrong place to ask, but is DIT actually a university and not an institute of technology even though thats what its name is?

confussed :(
    It's not actually a University no but it's still highly thought of. Once Grangegorman is open then it'll be able to achieve University status no problem.

By the way Freshers, look out for my article in the Fresher's Magazine :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Voltwad wrote: »
    It's not actually a University no but it's still highly thought of. Once Grangegorman is open then it'll be able to achieve University status no problem.

By the way Freshers, look out for my article in the Fresher's Magazine :)

Heh? A bigger campus doesnt change much. And again, you have to give the stipulation that this is DIT and Grangegorman is by no means certain to happen.

wixfjord wrote: »
    Heh? A bigger campus doesnt change much. And again, you have to give the stipulation that this is DIT and Grangegorman is by no means certain to happen.
    It'll be larger than UCD. When it's eventually up and running, it'll only be a matter of time before it's a university.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jrk92

well. I wishh DIT got an University status:) haha hopefully they will change it in next 5years:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pugsymalone

AFAIK DIT is different to the other Institutes of Technology. DIT has it's own degree awarding powers, like universities around the world, whereas (open to correction here) the other IoTs have their degrees approved by HETAC.
    Anyway, according to today's Irish Times (look at me I'm intellectual :D) the new report on higher education will recommend that all IoTs form a National Technological University in the near future. Luckily it's not a National University of Technology 'cos then we'd all be NUTs.
    I should also mention that a lot of people that go to UCD are a funny orange colour and speak weird - so we're better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

AFAIK DIT is different to the other Institutes of Technology. DIT has it's own degree awarding powers, like universities around the world, whereas (open to correction here) the other IoTs have their degrees approved by HETAC.
    Anyway, according to today's Irish Times (look at me I'm intellectual :D) the new report on higher education will recommend that all IoTs form a National Technological University in the near future. Luckily it's not a National University of Technology 'cos then we'd all be NUTs.
    I should also mention that a lot of people that go to UCD are a funny orange colour and speak weird - so we're better.

I'm liking this ^^^^^^^^^^^

My friend (who is in by no way smart) told me that I should go to UCD for architecture instead of DIT as the IT would turn off employers around the world. Have to admit I was a small bit worried but your comment makes sense. I don't think I'll be seeing grangegorman though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

ok, well i hear'd that you can get free food from one of the campuses because of the cooking course or something? So i was just wondering is this true??!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

tomtom101 wrote: »
    ok, well i hear'd that you can get free food from one of the campuses because of the cooking course or something? So i was just wondering is this true??!

That would be Kevin Street I believe but I think you buy bread/baked food in the basement/very bottom floor for a reduced price.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liambob1

time for the firsties to get their first glimpse of inter faculty rivalry ;), I think its cathal brugha street, being the faculty of tourism and FOOD we do sometimes have samples, and even at that the canteens food is very cheap and easily the best of any of the campuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

I'm liking this ^^^^^^^^^^^

My friend (who is in by no way smart) told me that I should go to UCD for architecture instead of DIT as the IT would turn off employers around the world. Have to admit I was a small bit worried but your comment makes sense. I don't think I'll be seeing grangegorman though.
    More employers pick DIT graduates over UCD graduates in Architecture because it as seen as been more of a rounded course and UCD is more art orientated (apprently)

Also DIT has great connections with RIAI, with many working in the faculty itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Monksie

whats first year like for a pharmacy technician studies student? can anyone tell me what the course is like in general? ive been offered this course just trying to decide whther to take it or not :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LostinRuins

Does anyone know what sort of free time architecture students have and if its possible for them to get involved in any societys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Does anyone know what sort of free time architecture students have and if its possible for them to get involved in any societys?
    Relation was doing a course and found time to still get around, and he was an average student. I can't give any more clarification on the matter, but I'd say you'll be just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

Depends when your next project hand up is if its in a months time you will prob not do much work and have a bit of spare time, if its in a weeks time youll be working nonstop

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Monksie wrote: »
    whats first year like for a pharmacy technician studies student? can anyone tell me what the course is like in general? ive been offered this course just trying to decide whther to take it or not :) x

Its a very diverse course with lots of CAO students and lots of mature students. You will take base level science subjects (Chemistry, Biology) and other subjects like Pharmacology and Toxiocology. This course is aimed at people who specifically wish to work as Pharmacy Technicians in either a Community or Hospital Pharmacy setting.

Any more specific questions I'll do my best to answer them as I shared some classes with DT425 (that is the course code)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Hey, starting in kevin street in sept, was thinking of cycling in from leixlip as I have relations there so it'd be nice and cheap! Just wondering if there is any shower facilities/lockers I could avail of in Kevin street?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

That would be quite the cycle- fair play! There are showers in the Swimming Pool / Gym. I'm sure if you asked them they wouldn't mind you using them in the mornings.

I'm pretty sure you can rent a locker for the year aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

daithi09 wrote: »
    Hey, starting in kevin street in sept, was thinking of cycling in from leixlip as I have relations there so it'd be nice and cheap! Just wondering if there is any shower facilities/lockers I could avail of in Kevin street?

i dont know about lockers but there are showers in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Hi,
    ive been looking at my timetable online for my course and cannot understand it. can someone tell me if i have two classes on at once on tuesday?

http://webtimetables.dit.ie/TTSuiteRBLIVE/PortalServ?reqtype=timetable&sType=class&sKey=201011|DT106|DT106/1|1&sTitle=DT106/1%20Environmental%20Planning%20%26%20Management%20d

Gary4279 wrote: »
    Hi,
    ive been looking at my timetable online for my course and cannot understand it. can someone tell me if i have two classes on at once on tuesday?

http://webtimetables.dit.ie/TTSuiteRBLIVE/PortalServ?reqtype=timetable&sType=class&sKey=201011|DT106|DT106/1|1&sTitle=DT106/1%20Environmental%20Planning%20%26%20Management%20d
    Only you can see your timetable. Can you take a print screen pic and paste it here? might b able to help you then

• Advertisement

for each day there are two rows, and each row is a semester, if you look at the bottom of every timetabled class it will have a week range, if you use the filter to select a certain week range it will only display those classses

it wont let me upload the screen shot onto boards but on tuesday it says i have these :

DT106/1 Environmental Planning & Management degree
    DT106/1
    Techniques 1
    Zhivago (68 Capel Street) - CP03.3
    COLL, MARION
    09:00-11:00
    23-33, 36-37

DT106/1
    Society & Environment 1
    Bolton Street - Main - BL349
    MCDERMOTT, LORCAN
    11:00-13:00
    23-33, 36-37

DT106/1
    Introduction to Economics
    Bolton Street - Main - BL349
    ALLEN, BRENDAN
    13:00-15:00
    23-33, 36-37

DT106/1 Environmental Planning & Management degree,DT112/1 (BE) Geomatics Degree
    DT106/1,DT112/1
    Geo-Spatial Awareness 1
    Bolton Street - Main - BL334
    PRENDERGAST, PATRICK
    4-16

DT106/1
    Society & Environment 1
    Bolton Street - Main - BL350
    MCDERMOTT, LORCAN

4-16

as I said above, is week ranges, the classes you will be first taking are ones in the range 4-16

DT106/1 Environmental Planning & Management degree,DT112/1 (BE) Geomatics Degree
    DT106/1,DT112/1
    Geo-Spatial Awareness 1
    PRENDERGAST, PATRICK
    4-16

DT106/1
    Society & Environment 1
    MCDERMOTT, LORCAN
    4-16

These are in ranges 4-16 so will be taken first

liambob1 wrote: »
    as I said above, is week ranges, the classes you will be first taking are ones in the range 4-16

DT106/1,DT112/1
    Geo-Spatial Awareness 1
    PRENDERGAST, PATRICK
    4-16

DT106/1
    Society & Environment 1
    MCDERMOTT, LORCAN
    4-16

These are in ranges 4-16 so will be taken first
    That's it yeah. It'll all be explained and simplified at your induction. As well as this, the second semester may involve choosing one module over another or you may have your class divided in half so you's could be swapping over in things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Monksie

JohnG18 wrote: »
    Its a very diverse course with lots of CAO students and lots of mature students. You will take base level science subjects (Chemistry, Biology) and other subjects like Pharmacology and Toxiocology. This course is aimed at people who specifically wish to work as Pharmacy Technicians in either a Community or Hospital Pharmacy setting.

Any more specific questions I'll do my best to answer them as I shared some classes with DT425 (that is the course code)

do you know if the work placement is organised by the college or do you have to find a pharmacy or hospital yourself, ? thanks :)

this is my tuesday, week 4-16. it still says 2 classes are on at the same time.

DT106/1,DT112/1
    Geo-Spatial Awareness 1
    PRENDERGAST, PATRICK
    4-16

DT106/1
    Society & Environment 1
    MCDERMOTT, LORCAN
    4-16

DT106/1,DT112/1
    Intro to Environmental Mgmt
    Bolton Street - Main - BL409
    BOYLE, KENNETH
    14:00-16:00
    4-16

DT112/1 (BE) Geomatics Degree,DT106/1 Environmental Planning & Management degree
    DT112/1,DT106/1
    Intro to Spatial Planning
    Bolton Street - Main - BL346
    O'CONNOR, DAVID
    4-16

Gary4279 wrote: »
    this is my tuesday, week 4-16. it still says 2 classes are on at the same time.

DT106/1,DT112/1
    Geo-Spatial Awareness 1
    PRENDERGAST, PATRICK
    4-16

DT106/1
    Society & Environment 1
    MCDERMOTT, LORCAN
    4-16

DT106/1,DT112/1
    Intro to Environmental Mgmt
    Bolton Street - Main - BL409
    BOYLE, KENNETH
    14:00-16:00
    4-16

DT112/1 (BE) Geomatics Degree,DT106/1 Environmental Planning & Management degree
    DT112/1,DT106/1
    Intro to Spatial Planning
    Bolton Street - Main - BL346
    O'CONNOR, DAVID
    4-16
    You'll probably have one in semester 1 and one in semester 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Thanks for the info. on showers and lockers. Is DIT open for walking about already? Wouldn't mind familiarizing myself with the place, might help nerves!

daithi09 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. on showers and lockers. Is DIT open for walking about already? Wouldn't mind familiarizing myself with the place, might help nerves!
    Yeah it is indeed. I've often been in town and popped in for a cheap coffee in Java or a clean toilet :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Whoop whoop!

I was in town to do some work and popped in at eight. It's shocking to see Java only opening. I do miss my SU Coffee however. It's good coffee, and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that I'm helping the fellow students out.

Advertisement